How long should you rest in between workouts?

Options
I wanna try working out everyday. (10-30 Minutes) However, there might be someways I will workout for a little bit in the morning, then do some working out at night.

Replies

• LovelySavannah
    LovelySavannah Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    I've always heard that it doesn't matter what time of the day or how many times a day, as long as you get the needed exercise in, you're good.
  • KTaurusW0516
    KTaurusW0516 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    Thank you! :)
  • LovelySavannah
    LovelySavannah Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    Of course ☺
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,942 Member
    Options
    I wanna try working out everyday. (10-30 Minutes) However, there might be someways I will workout for a little bit in the morning, then do some working out at night.

What do you mean by "working out"?
  • kingjuwo
    kingjuwo Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    in my experience, i have to take long rests after heavy compound movements, like the bench-press. If you do heavy lifts, i would say take around 2-3 minutes of rests before hitting the weight again. If you do isolation movements more, i would recommend going intense on the lifts by doing some supersets.

You should always give every single muscle you have worked 48 hours of rest. If you don't rest the muscle it won't recover so that means they wont grow as much as they can by recovery ;) .
  • KTaurusW0516
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »

Currently, I'm just doing small things like walking/running, strengths for my legs, and little workouts with my arms. I'm just starting and I feel like I'm super sore after a small workout. I keep pushing myself but, I'm worried that might cause injury.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,942 Member
    Options

Currently, I'm just doing small things like walking/running, strengths for my legs, and little workouts with my arms. I'm just starting and I feel like I'm super sore after a small workout. I keep pushing myself but, I'm worried that might cause injury.

Ok ... you'll need to build up gradually but, for example, I walk as part of my commute, I walk or run at lunch, I often climb several flights of stairs during the day and I walk or cycle in the evenings. Plus some weights.

So eventually you'll be able to be active several times a day.
  • Redordeadhead
    Redordeadhead Posts: 1,188 Member
    Options

Ok ... you'll need to build up gradually but, for example, I walk as part of my commute, I walk or run at lunch, I often climb several flights of stairs during the day and I walk or cycle in the evenings. Plus some weights.

This is true, you will be able to build up to it. I often go to the gym before work, I commute to/from work by bicycle and I have a dog I walk 2-3 times a day. I'm not sore afterwards, this is just normal activity now.

I think as a guide 150 minutes of moderate activity a week is recommended as a minimum, so maybe try to work up to that?
  • KTaurusW0516
    edited February 2019
    Options

This is true, you will be able to build up to it. I often go to the gym before work, I commute to/from work by bicycle and I have a dog I walk 2-3 times a day. I'm not sore afterwards, this is just normal activity now.

I think as a guide 150 minutes of moderate activity a week is recommended as a minimum, so maybe try to work up to that?

I'm planning for 100 minutes this week. (Not gonna lie, I thought you were about to say, "150 minutes a day.") :D
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,952 Member
    Options

I frequently do something at lunchtime and something else at night.

Where are you sore? I'm imagining your arms - if that is the case, give them two day's rest.

I do whole body strength training workouts with weights that are very heavy (for me) and give it three days between workouts. But I do something else once or twice a day. For example, I walk/hike/do trail maintenance at lunch and practice yoga at night.
  • waballer2002
    waballer2002 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I agree. Alternating workouts works best for me. Strength one day and cardio the next. I get the same out of M-W-F-S workouts as working out every day. Muscles get rest and burnout doesn't set in.

Good luck!
  • SCoil123
    SCoil123 Posts: 2,108 Member
    Options
    I work out for 30-90min 6 days most weeks. I only lift heavy right now twice a week so I make sure to focus on different muscles both days. For 10-30 minutes of light cardio or body weight work I wouldn’t need to rest in between. But that’s me at my current fitness level.

In your case, OP, listen to your body. If a muscle group is really sore rest it for a day and do something else. You’ll work up to more intensity and frequency eventually. It is important to build up your activity level over time to prevent injury.