Hi all, my name is Serena.

Hey everyone! My name is Serena, I’m 5’1 and 145 lbs trying to shake off some of this weight gain. My goal is to lose about 20 lbs. I just started going back to the gym and really trying to be strict with what I eat and keeping track of it. I’m a little confused with some things so any pointers or advice would be appreciated. I am eating at 1200 cal a day. I don’t know if that’s the right number or not. Should I eat more? I am working out 5-6 days a week. With the cal that I burn do I eat back or just subtract those and consider it the calorie deficit? Calorie deficit... actually confuses me. I’m I actually supposed to burn more cal than I eat to be considered in the cal deficit category? I’ve been at this for only a week so far and really wanting to know if that’s right now rather than later. Thanks guys. Also any one out there that wants to add me my username is Serena_angel09 😊 Lookimg forward to some insight!

Replies

• estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    Hey everyone! My name is Serena, I’m 5’1 and 145 lbs trying to shake off some of this weight gain. My goal is to lose about 20 lbs. I just started going back to the gym and really trying to be strict with what I eat and keeping track of it. I’m a little confused with some things so any pointers or advice would be appreciated. I am eating at 1200 cal a day. I don’t know if that’s the right number or not. Should I eat more? I am working out 5-6 days a week. With the cal that I burn do I eat back or just subtract those and consider it the calorie deficit? Calorie deficit... actually confuses me. I’m I actually supposed to burn more cal than I eat to be considered in the cal deficit category? I’ve been at this for only a week so far and really wanting to know if that’s right now rather than later. Thanks guys. Also any one out there that wants to add me my username is Serena_angel09 😊 Lookimg forward to some insight!

Hi, Serena!

For weight loss goals, I'm going to copy-paste something @Teabea posted here: https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10019216/1-or-2-lbs-per-week/p1

Here's a chart with step down goals......

Pound per week goals
    75+ lbs set to lose 2 lb range
    Between 40 - 75 lbs set to lose 1.5 lb range
    Between 25-40 lbs set to lose 1 lb range
    Between 15-25 lbs set to lose 1 -.50 lb range
    Less than 15 lbs set to lose 0.5 lbs range

So, tell MFP you want to lose either 1 or 1/2 lb per week and eat the calories it gives you.

You should eat back some of your exercise calories. In theory, you should eat them all back, but in practice, MFP can sometimes overestimate the calorie burns. I usually eat back 50%.

When MFP give you your calorie goal, it includes your deficit without exercise (which is why you should eat back your exercise calories; too aggressive a deficit isn't good.)
  • serena_angel09
    serena_angel09 Posts: 4 Member
    edited February 2019
    I actually had another post and someone recommended an article you posted and that’s where I learned so much! The info posted here was also very helpful! Thank you!