Protein ..weight gain ?

Options
Just bought * Body Fortress super advanced whey protein*

A friend tells me that it's not the most natural thing to use for my body and that it may even make me gain weight.
He said it's altered and the chemicals in it are going to mess up my body. He is no professional so I bring this to you MFP peeps.

I don't know much about all the different sort of protein shakes out there. I just want to replace one o two meals a day with a pro shake and lose weight.

Any advice ?

Replies

• CLD2010
    CLD2010 Posts: 1
    Options
    He's wrong.
  • Stuartm1
    Stuartm1 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    He's wrong.
    [/quote

Thats helpful why is he??]
  • MarieNevada
    MarieNevada Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    also dont replace meals with shakes, use them as addendums to meals. that shake will not have enough calories as a meal. and it probably doesn't have enough carbs to make a complete meal.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    Whey protein is great stuff. Good for muscle repair, and has absolutely nothing to do with weight gain, unless your going over your calories to use it. Your friend doesn't know what he's talking about in this case.
  • Elleinnz
    Elleinnz Posts: 1,661 Member
    Options
    Whey Protein shakes is not a meal replacement - they are a supplement tO your meals to help with getting the required protein if you are training to build muscles, or if your natural diet lack enough protein -.they do not have all the nutrients that you need in a balanced and healthy diet...

Most products will actually state that on the product - there are meal replacement products if you are looking to "drink your calories"
  • dmpizza
    dmpizza Posts: 3,321 Member
    Options
    My Dr and I aren't certain, but its possible that my latest kidney stone attack was due to whey protein.
  • SergeantSunshine_reused
    SergeantSunshine_reused Posts: 5,382 Member
    Options
    also dont replace meals with shakes, use them as addendums to meals. that shake will not have enough calories as a meal. and it probably doesn't have enough carbs to make a complete meal.

You can make a shake a meal. Add soeme milk and a banana. I do it for breakfast almost every morning
  • SuperMoniMonk
    SuperMoniMonk Posts: 467 Member
    Options

ooooohh... Glad you tell me about this thanks !
  • Loko_Ino
    Loko_Ino Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    When buying protein try to get stuff with low sugar and carb content.
    Body Fortress is ok but the sugar is a little high, you could do better but you could do a lot worse.

And as mentioned they are not meal replacements, you use them as either supplement or as your mid meals. So if you planning 6 meals you could do shakes between breakfast and lunch and maybe one after dinner before bed if you are hungry, like that. Also, try not to add a lot of stuff do it later in the evening, that just ups the sugar content.

otherwise your "friend" is a dork and needs to do some research.
  • SuperMoniMonk
    Options
    Whey Protein shakes is not a meal replacement - they are a supplement tO your meals to help with getting the required protein if you are training to build muscles, or if your natural diet lack enough protein -.they do not have all the nutrients that you need in a balanced and healthy diet...

Most products will actually state that on the product - there are meal replacement products if you are looking to "drink your calories"
    great info thanks !!!!
  • Loko_Ino
    Loko_Ino Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    My Dr and I aren't certain, but its possible that my latest kidney stone attack was due to whey protein.

actually this is probably cause you were not drinking enough water during the days.
    that is almost always the case.
  • MrsZMartin
    MrsZMartin Posts: 165 Member
    Options

You can make a shake a meal. Add soeme milk and a banana. I do it for breakfast almost every morning

Me too, except I use two cups of spinach and a quarter cup of plain greek yogurt. Yum!
  • gigi130
    gigi130 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I dont really know but I stopped drinking mine because i notice I stopped losing weight and was making me feel weird. As soon as I stopped i started losing weight and was feeling better. I guess is up to you. try it and if you feel like is helping you Good and if not just stop.
  • CoraGregoryCPA
    CoraGregoryCPA Posts: 1,087 Member
    Options
    If you are drinking 2 scoops with milk ON TOP of your same-old-same-old Calorie intake, then YES you will gain weight. If you use water and cut some calories elsewhere, then you'll have a less chance of gaining. Sum it up, if you INCREASE your calories over your standard, then of course you will gain weight.

Some 1 scoop protein shakes plus fat free milk can have a lot of added calories. You have to pay attention to the fat, carbs and of course then the calories. Try to drink it with water. I drink a ready-to-drink EAS chocolate fudge 42g protein 300 calorie shake (usually for breakfast) after my workout. I use it has a "meal replacement" The protein really fills me up and holds me over till lunch time easily.
  • SuperMoniMonk
    Options
    When buying protein try to get stuff with low sugar and carb content.
    Body Fortress is ok but the sugar is a little high, you could do better but you could do a lot worse.

And as mentioned they are not meal replacements, you use them as either supplement or as your mid meals. So if you planning 6 meals you could do shakes between breakfast and lunch and maybe one after dinner before bed if you are hungry, like that. Also, try not to add a lot of stuff do it later in the evening, that just ups the sugar content.

otherwise your "friend" is a dork and needs to do some research.

Thanks for the info ...and yes ..I'll call him and tell him to get educated ..lol thanks again
  • Kolohe71
    Kolohe71 Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    Depends on the context of what he means by "Gain Weight". I'll explain that in a minute, but the first thing you should realize is that most protien supplements are NOT designed to be used as meal replacements. Their primary function is for muscle building and post workout recovery.

So on to the weight gain question. If used as part of a muscle building routine, yes you will gain weight (muscle mass). However, a pound of muscle will burn an average of 25 calories per hour, whereas a pound of fat will burn 3. So your body is 8X more efficient for every pound of fat replaced by muscle. In the long run, your body will consume more calories just to maintain the muscle and will actually cause your body to burn fat and drop weight.

This is the EXACT reason you will hear about elite athletes that have like 7% body fat, but are consuming 3000+ calories.
  • MissMaryMac33
    MissMaryMac33 Posts: 1,433 Member
    Options
    Your friends is only part right.... this particular one is not used for weight gain (it's only 120 calories or something a scoop - you only need 1 and not the double they recommend). It's questionable if you can even absorb 60g protein at one sitting so I personally never put more than 25-35 in my protein shakes. I'm not sure who said this one brand was high in sugar but they are wrong.. this brand is only 2g sugar in a scoop and 26g protein...it has great stats.

The part your friend is sort of right about is the type of protein. This one is mostly whey protein concentrate -- so its not as good as getting pure whey protein isolate, but for the cost its a pretty good alternative. I always have a jug of this but I don't use for my daily go-to shakes. I usually order pure whey protein isolate with natural or no sweeteners as my go-to.

If you're mixing your shakes with milk, you're getting even more calories and sugar. I mix mine with silk pure almond (35calories a cup) and decaf cold coffee... I like the coffee flavor :)

PS I would not use this brand as a meal replacement either... I would use it as a snack or post workout drink.
  • rsf218
    rsf218 Posts: 4
    Options
    Okay, so everyone who said "wrong" right away might be thinking about whey protein in general. However, in the case of just whey protein, you shouldn't gain weight necessarily, but if you are liftin weights(probly the only time you would need extra protein) then you may gain weight but thin out as muscle is more dense and thus heavier than fat. In the SPECIFIC case of Body Fortress, I have used that brand before and your buddy might be onto something, because the Body Fortress stuff I have also has creatine in it which will cause you to hold more water weight, so you may feel a lil bloated and maintain your current poundage while losing fat just because you are retaining water, which is fine if you expect it, because when you switch to a protein without creatine you will lose that water weight. BUT there is no need to supplement your protein unless you are hitting the gym (also keep in mind that hitting the gym, specifically lifting, not cardio may cause you to gain weight due to muscle gain, so if that is the case you should pay less attention to your weight and more attention to your measurements as sometimes you can gain weight and lose inches - muscle growth and tightening being the cause) PLEASE IF YOU ARE GOING TO SUPPLEMENT THAN HIT THE WEIGHTS AND DRINK EXCESSIVE AMOUNTS(try and hit a gallon of straight water a day - you will pee a lot at first, but it will make you less hungry and your body will eventually get used to it so you can pee on a more normal schedule) OF WATER AS CREATINE AND PROTEINS WILL DEHYDRATE YOU
  • Kolohe71
    Kolohe71 Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    Also, A lot of women are afraid to lift weights and develop muscle because they don't want to get all big and bulky. With rare exception, women do not have the testosterone required to build large bulking muscles. So my bst advice, is to add weight training to your exercise routine as soon as you can.
  • SergeantSunshine_reused
    SergeantSunshine_reused Posts: 5,382 Member
    Options
    Also, A lot of women are afraid to lift weights and develop muscle because they don't want to get all big and bulky. With rare exception, women do not have the testosterone required to build large bulking muscles. So my bst advice, is to add weight training to your exercise routine as soon as you can.

this ^^

A pet peeve of mine actually xD some women think that as soon as they pick up a dumbbell they will turn into the incredibly hulk. If only it was that easy!