Morning weight lifting

2»

Replies

• Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    edited January 2019
    I'm a powerlifter with a autoimmune disease that effects my hands, feet, hips, knees especially early in the morning. Literally takes me 20-30 minutes not to walk without a extemely noticeable limp. All my connective tissues are affected as well.

I usually just soak some steel oats with whey protien in a shaker & store in the fridge.overnight . It tastes like a actual shake in the morning.

It gives me +30g of protien, leucine, creatine, and a decent amount of carbs to fuel my lifting sessions that last 2-3 hours.

It's easy to digest which also leaves more energy for training.

Good luck.
  • CharlieCharlie007
    CharlieCharlie007 Posts: 246 Member
    edited January 2019
    I get up to train at gym at 3 a.m. I do not eat before. I take bcaas. I train for two hours and have no hunger.
  • K_EDSwarrior
    K_EDSwarrior Posts: 17 Member

I opened this the day you posted it and was curious about your user name, but didn't want to pry. I have EDS too, and can really only workout first thing in the morning most days. I'm a powerlifter, and it's HARD for me to eat in the morning. I usually do a shake and banana...and that's really all I can take without feeling sick. Try to start with something more liquid than solid food if it's hard for you to eat in the AM. Once you've gotten used to that, try to add something small. For me, a banana is my cut off. Anything more makes me super ill.

Ha...i hate creating usernames! Im going to grab some shake ingredients this weekend and give it a go on Monday. Sometimes the energy levels are OK during the workout but i crash mid-morning....and sometimes i struggle in the gym...its a bit up and down. Thanks for the tips and good luck with your training....Its inspiring to find other EDS'ers that are managing to not let it win :-)
  • K_EDSwarrior
    Chieflrg wrote: »
    I'm a powerlifter with a autoimmune disease that effects my hands, feet, hips, knees especially early in the morning. Literally takes me 20-30 minutes not to walk without a extemely noticeable limp. All my connective tissues are affected as well.

I usually just soak some steel oats with whey protien in a shaker & store in the fridge.overnight . It tastes like a actual shake in the morning.

It gives me +30g of protien, leucine, creatine, and a decent amount of carbs to fuel my lifting sessions that last 2-3 hours.

Good luck.

Thanks for the tips. I hear a lot about overnight oats...maybe this is the push I need to give them a go! I hear you on the morning walking...i refer to it as the evolution of man for me.....i start pretty hunched and eventually get to standing straight up :-)
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Chieflrg wrote: »

Good luck.

Thanks for the tips. I hear a lot about overnight oats...maybe this is the push I need to give them a go! I hear you on the morning walking...i refer to it as the evolution of man for me.....i start pretty hunched and eventually get to standing straight up :-)

Exactly the same evo, I have to give myself a tiny pep talk just to walk downstairs to use every wall, ceiling, and hand rail to brace myself ;).

• emilysusana
    emilysusana Posts: 416 Member
    I make a yummy shake with almond milk, vanilla whey protein and banana. Then I drink about half of it on the way to the gym and the rest either as I work out (if I’m feeling energy low), or right after (when most people do the protein shake). I feel great. Sometimes I’m not hungry for more breakfast afterwards but sometimes I’ll do a yogurt or hard boiled egg to get me through the rest of the morning.
  • LJay89
    LJay89 Posts: 91 Member
    Cahgetsfit wrote: »
    TrishSeren wrote: »
    75 minutes of lifting a day for a newbie is pretty intense, no wonder you're exhausted. I've been lifting for nearly 12 years and never done a 75-minute lifting workout in my life.

How many rest days do you have?

This. I have been lifting for a while now and I do my workouts in 45-60 mins tops. Not sure why you need to work out for 75mins? Do you cardio as well as lift?

Sorry but mine can sometimes take that long. If you are going heavy and need the rest plus warm up sets. All adds up. Wouldn't necessarily do it everyday.
  • kgs0201
    kgs0201 Posts: 459 Member
    I’m absolutely in love with the Beachbody performance series. I drink Energize before my early morning workouts and then drink my Recover drink after. It’s made such a huge difference in my energy levels and my muscle recovery. I’m no longer sore after every workout.

Amazing job getting in 75 minutes of weight lifting! I also have EDS and I’m still struggling with doing more strength training than cardio. I know I should but cardio burns calories faster and I like it better. Of course my body and my joints hate it.
  • jasonpoihegatama
    jasonpoihegatama Posts: 496 Member
    You can try a pre workout before workout , drink BCAA when you work out, and have and protein after your workout . you should get your carbs in!
  • K_EDSwarrior
    kgs0201 wrote: »
    I’m absolutely in love with the Beachbody performance series. I drink Energize before my early morning workouts and then drink my Recover drink after. It’s made such a huge difference in my energy levels and my muscle recovery. I’m no longer sore after every workout.

Amazing job getting in 75 minutes of weight lifting! I also have EDS and I’m still struggling with doing more strength training than cardio. I know I should but cardio burns calories faster and I like it better. Of course my body and my joints hate it.

One thing I have found which has astounded me is the stronger i get, the less pain i feel. My pain was always in the following areas (highest pain area first): Core, knees, ankles, fingers. Since ditching the cardio for pure weight/resistance training the pain in my core has massively reduced...like HUGELY reduced. I still struggle with my knees but multiple surgeries probably doesnt help. Anyhoo....just wanted to share that I was a cardio bunny for years......and I have now been a pure Weights Bunny for around 4 months now and the benefits are massive in pain levels, strength and aesthetics. :-)
  • Katiebear_81
    Katiebear_81 Posts: 719 Member
    My nutrition coach has me have a carb-loaded snack before bed if I'm going to lift in the morning. :) Not sure if it really helps or is just a placebo, but I'll take it. Ha ha.
  • midlomel1971
    midlomel1971 Posts: 1,283 Member
    I weight-train in the mornings and I have to have coffee. I usually choke down 1/2 a Pure Protein bar on the way to the gym and that is fine for me until afterwards. Otherwise I don't think I'd have enough energy.