It can’t all be calories in/out

Replies

• briittanyxxoo
    briittanyxxoo Posts: 40 Member
    kimondo666 wrote: »
    ofc above link is CICO for healthy people, hyperthyroidism, or hypothyroidism affect gains - lose weight situation too.

By about 5%.

And *only* if the thyroid condition isn't treated adequately.

So having treated hypothyroidism wont affect weight loss any different than any one else?
  • estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    ofc above link is CICO for healthy people, hyperthyroidism, or hypothyroidism affect gains - lose weight situation too.

By about 5%.

So having treated hypothyroidism wont affect weight loss any different than any one else?

Not significantly, no.
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,389 Member

By about 5%.

I read a PhD thesis on that topic quite a while ago, and the consensus was that the 'metabolism' doesn't repair itself and those max 5% reduction remain. However, 5% is not a lot, and you can't lose even more if your condition worsens. Plus, if you're treated properly you have more energy, you are more likely to move around, to fidget (fidgetting gets reduced when you feel low on energy, and even that burns some calories), feel less hungry, are more likely to work out, etc...
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,389 Member
    kimny72 wrote: »
    sardelsa wrote: »
    If someone only saw how I ate on the weekends in a deficit they would assume it's up to genetics or high metabolism. I will eat pancakes, waffles, three bowls of pasta, pizza, dessert, a fair share of wine.. sometimes wings and ribs.

While I do have a higher than average calorie goal (I am always moving) I don't eat how I do on the weekend during the day when no one is around. Snack is usually a protein shake, lunch is a chicken salad etc.

Yup. Some of my colleagues think I eat all of the time -- I've gotten some work teasing about my snacks.

What they *don't* see is that my eating habits are like those of a toddler: frequent small amounts of food. They may see me grabbing a mini candy bar at work, or a snack-sized bag of Fritos, but they *don't* see the fact that I've got a whopping 200 calories at breakfast, a small dinner, and that I'm working out 7 days a week.

:lol: Me too. I bring breakfast and lunch to work, but eat them in small increments throughout the day. People walk into my office and often marvel that I'm eating again. They don't know how I can eat so much and not get fat. Well, I'm eating my maintenance of 1700 cals. I also take a walk on my lunch break every day (by myself), take the stairs rather than the elevator (never see anyone else on the stairs), and am constantly up and down and walking around rather than doing everything by phone/email.

Heck, most of us were wrong about what we ourselves were eating before we started logging, it's easy to get the wrong impression of how someone else eats and burns calories!

And I eat a pretty even mix of stereotypically "healthy" whole foods and convenience foods like pizza, treats, fast food, etc. Lost weight as expected based on my calories and maintaining for a couple of years doing the same.

Oh yes! I trained my colleagues to think that I'm eating all the time! I'm just in the kitchen with a tiny cookie and enjoy it so that people see it. Eat a wafer bar at my desk every day, share recipes etc... one person already wonders how I manage to be so thin :D
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,897 Member
    My husband is one of those people who can seemingly eat whatever he wants and not gain weight. But he’s on his feet all day at work, he’s a fidgeter - he’s always moving, he tends to forget to eat at work so comes home and hasn’t eaten all day, he stops eating when he’s full, he doesn’t eat out of boredom. And his weight does shift - it’s just not noticeable on his frame. He gained 10 lbs over the holidays and he just distributes his weight very evenly so he didn’t even go up a pant size. And of course when he goes back to his normal routine he loses it.

Yes, people who have Thanksgiving dinner with my skinny mom marvel about her "fast metabolism." What they don't see is that she is very active and frequently skips meals, so when she does eat, it is a big meal, for which she has plenty of calories for due to her activity level.
  • Mslmesq
    Mslmesq Posts: 1,001 Member
    My husband is like this. Probably looks like he eats like a pig. BUT, sometimes he also doesn’t eat almost anything. So depends on if you were with him all day every day to truly get an accurate picture.

Also, the guy doesn’t sit still. Literally. Not even when he’s sleeping. 😒