Using food to increase your metabolism

Options
Counting macros and calories shouldn't always be about restriction and eating as little as you can. If you're new to tracking or have been "eating for fat loss" for a while, it may be helpful to intentionally increase your calorie/macro intake over time. If you add more food incrementally over time, your metabolism will "up-regulate," the opposite of what happens when you restrict food intake over a long period of time. If you're stuck and not seeing the progress you'd like, slowly eating more may be the next move!

Replies

• mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10604863/of-refeeds-and-diet-breaks/p1
    A sticky on this whole subject. It's a long thread but most of the good info is on the first page or 2.

OP, a refeed or diet break does not have to happen incrementally. It does take about 2 weeks for the full effect of the adaptions of calorie restriction to normalize. When you go into calorie restriction again the dieting adaptation begin again. The recommendation is to take the break from calorie restriction every 8 to 12 weeks.
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    mmapags wrote: »
    https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10604863/of-refeeds-and-diet-breaks/p1
    A sticky on this whole subject. It's a long thread but most of the good info is on the first page or 2.

OP, a refeed or diet break does not have to happen incrementally. It does take about 2 weeks for the full effect of the adaptions of calorie restriction to normalize. When you go into calorie restriction again the dieting adaptation begin again. The recommendation is to take the break from calorie restriction every 8 to 12 weeks.

conversely, the nutrition folks I work with (Eat to Perform) - recommend doing maintenance for longer periods (building a runway of calories) and then doing a short concentrated cycle of fat loss (28 days) with a 2 week adaptation break and then a second fat loss cycle - then back to maintenance - they have found people have success with this methodology - because its only a short period of deprivation (I did a fat loss cycle and went from like 3000cal avg to 1500cal) and now building slowly back up (avg about 2350 right now)
  • yasmine_tom
    yasmine_tom Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I had good luck with monitoring my calories/exercise to lose weight initially with Myfitnesspal (about 10-15 lbs). Now, no matter what I do (increase or decrease calories) I can't seem to lose 12-15 lbs that have crept back up. Any advice?
  • witchaywoman81
    witchaywoman81 Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    I had good luck with monitoring my calories/exercise to lose weight initially with Myfitnesspal (about 10-15 lbs). Now, no matter what I do (increase or decrease calories) I can't seem to lose 12-15 lbs that have crept back up. Any advice?

Are you weighing your food? What did you choose as your calorie deficit? Generally, with so little to lose, you should shoot for no more than 1 lb/week, though some recommend 0.5 lb/week. Expect it to be slow going, and be patient and kind with yourself.
  • yasmine_tom
    yasmine_tom Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I will try that, thanks.
    All things considered I eat ~1000 calories a day, which I know is little but I'm just not much more hungry than that. It's always been difficult for me to lose weight. If I enter .5 lb /week my calorie allotment goes up to about 1500...I have tried eating this amount as well, but my weight wont seem to budge. I exercise regularly. And have taken time off to relieve overtraining...Not really sure what the problem could be.
  • witchaywoman81
    witchaywoman81 Posts: 280 Member
    edited February 2019
    Options
    I will try that, thanks.
    All things considered I eat ~1000 calories a day, which I know is little but I'm just not much more hungry than that. It's always been difficult for me to lose weight. If I enter .5 lb /week my calorie allotment goes up to about 1500...I have tried eating this amount as well, but my weight wont seem to budge. I exercise regularly. And have taken time off to relieve overtraining...Not really sure what the problem could be.

Hmmm if you’re eating 1000 calories and not hungry and not losing weight, I’m guessing something is off with your logging. When I first bought a scale, I was amazed and how small things like a half cup, a tablespoon, etc of something are when weighed out.
  • Panini911
    Panini911 Posts: 2,325 Member
    Options
    I will try that, thanks.

Sounds like a logging issue. definitely get a scale and weight all solids and carefully measure liquid, review entries selected for accuracy.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    mmapags wrote: »

conversely, the nutrition folks I work with (Eat to Perform) - recommend doing maintenance for longer periods (building a runway of calories) and then doing a short concentrated cycle of fat loss (28 days) with a 2 week adaptation break and then a second fat loss cycle - then back to maintenance - they have found people have success with this methodology - because its only a short period of deprivation (I did a fat loss cycle and went from like 3000cal avg to 1500cal) and now building slowly back up (avg about 2350 right now)

I can see how that could work. I've read some stuff from Lyle McDonald about similar protocols. For me, and possible for some others, I would struggle with the drastic difference in calories. At the end of 28 days at 1500 I might be murderous. :p
  • Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,644 Member
    Options
    Panini911 wrote: »
    I will try that, thanks.

Sounds like a logging issue. definitely get a scale and weight all solids and carefully measure liquid, review entries selected for accuracy.

100% this