Help, really discouraged but NOT giving up

Options
I have been trying to lose weight for 5 years and just have continued to gain, little by little. The big change in my life that I believe that is making this harder is that I am now getting older at 54, have some physical medical issues making it hard to exercise and significant hormonal changes are playing a part. I think my age and its natural changes have really slowed my metabolism down, Doc says I just have to work harder.
I really need some support and to stop trying to do this alone, its not helping me going it solo.
Anyone out there in my boat?

Replies

• jasonpoihegatama
    jasonpoihegatama Posts: 496 Member
    Options
    Well i take it the doctor has done all he can to help with hormonal changes and the medical physical issues and all other test were ok! The best thing you can do is eat healthy foods the right amount of food and exercise be active go pools do water walking start a sport in your age group go for walks do yoga. and enjoy it try aerobics class.
  • jazzpurrcat
    jazzpurrcat Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much for ideas, really appreciate. Working on consistent tracking, water intake to feel full, and exercise regularly.
  • MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    Options
    I'm also 54 years old and the weight I lost when I turned 40, has all come back and resettled. Sure I exercise and eat right, but the only way to lose weight and keep it off, for me, is to really cut back on calories - like not eat lunch.

I got tired of walking around hungry and have decided that this weight is just part of me now. I'm not overweight but I'm not thin anymore either.

It's really not easy.
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    edited February 2019
    Options
    I'm 47 and successfully lost 60+ lbs about 4 years ago and maintained ever since.

Your metabolism is quite stable and the decrease associated with age is minimal - we're talking ~100 kcals of difference, so think 20 mins of walking at the most.

Consistency is key - you've got all the points nailed down. The tricky part is executing. Find a solid group to stick with and keep one another accountable.

For example:

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/433277/40-club-where-the-cool-kids-are#latest
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,825 Member
    Options
    I am 56, and have just crossed the fifty pounds lost threshold. Use the calorie counter on this app. It is the single best piece of advice (and equipment) I have found on this journey, If nothing else, and you use it honestly (you’re not cheating anyone but yourself if you don’t) it will make you aware of what you put in your mouth, particularly frequency and quantity. If you will pay attention to that, the rest will come. Find something you like to do. I loved yoga, but have discovered I LOVE Pilates. Cheap things you can do are walking or simple curls and lifts with a cheap pair of weights. I had my own medical issues, which was one of the things that compelled me to get my butt in gear (literally). Doing nothing can exacerbate the medical issues, doing something may actually provide relief or eliminate them completely. I put wooden walls on my staircases because I needed to hold rails and walls to get up and down them. Now I run up and down without a second thought. I am so mad at myself for not doing this years ago. I feel better than I did in my twenties. I just walked home from the gym wearing a tank and strutting a swagger, and had to giggle at myself for it, since my mom belly was clearly hanging out there. If I could give you the push to start, I would send little electro shoves to you right now.
  • mom22dogs
    mom22dogs Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    You don't have to exercise to lose weight. You just have to eat at a calorie deficit to lose. Figure out what your calories should be to lose 1 lb on the MFP app and stick to those calories, and you will begin to lose weight.
  • BMcC9
    BMcC9 Posts: 4,438 Member
    Options
    Here is the link to the February, 2019 UAC group https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/130876-ultimate-accountability-challenge-february-2019

It is a great place to develop self-awareness / accountably habits and support the shift towards a new sustainable lifestyle. Works no matter what your food plan, exercise strategy, or where you are on your journey (everyone from just starting to nearing goal weight to maintaining for years now)

We have a raft of brand new members also starting this month, a crew that are only on their second month with us, and more than enough olde-timers who can guide you through your transition period.

Hope to see you there.
  • jazzpurrcat
    jazzpurrcat Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Thanks to all, yes I agree, exercise is good but lowering my calories is what is needed. Thanks for suggestion of accountability group, just signed up to join. I need accountability so that perfect. Do need to find exercise I love, I have constant chronic pain from a bad lower back(just significant arthritis) and rheumatoid arthritis in lots of joints, I was swimming regularly at the YMCA but the chlorine in pool is making me itch terrible in winter no matter how much I moisturize. So I need to find something else I can do, and that I enjoy. Its challenging as physically I have quite a few limits. So far this year I have found, doing a little bit of everything seems to be workable, ie 10 minutes of weights, 10minutes on treadmill then back to total gym machine , etc etc. Thanks all!
  • influencingangel
    influencingangel Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I have been trying to lose weight for 5 years and just have continued to gain, little by little. The big change in my life that I believe that is making this harder is that I am now getting older at 54, have some physical medical issues making it hard to exercise and significant hormonal changes are playing a part. I think my age and its natural changes have really slowed my metabolism down, Doc says I just have to work harder.
    I really need some support and to stop trying to do this alone, its not helping me going it solo.
    Anyone out there in my boat?

Hi hun I'm 56 health problems as well just started keto 2 weeks ago and have lost around 9lbs add me as a friend if you like