Morbidly Obese, stressed and feeling lost

Options
Hi all, I’m a 36 year old new mom is my 18 month old son. I have been obese since I was 13 and struggle constantly day to day with everything healthy. Love to walk but trying to balance that with eating good and taking care of my toddler is a challenge. Need friends to help me on this journey!

Replies

• zeejane03
    zeejane03 Posts: 993 Member
    Options
    Welcome to the group!

• marekdds
    marekdds Posts: 2,209 Member
    Options
    You can do this. Take baby steps and don’t get too frustrated when things don’t work like they should. I let myself go when my kids were young. You are ahead of the game, just realizing that you need help now. I am 66 and have lost over 55 pounds. The key to this is patience, planning and persistance.
  • Je55ica_79
    Je55ica_79 Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    Welcome! You can do this. If you would like to add me please do! Start logging your food and make adjustments as you go.
  • hroderick
    hroderick Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    Patience and persistence. Show that baby how to live long and healthy. Think deeply about why you are going to do this and put it into your profile. Most of us know how you feel, hope the best for you, and will do what we can, but it is those moment by moment choices you will make that write your story,
  • aussie_girl_del_runner_5
    Options
    Just sent you a friend request.

As everyone above said, start small by logging and work your way up. It looks too much at the start but time will continue anyway so it's better to make a change now rather than say in a year's time 'I wish I'd started'.
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    Welcome! You can do this!
  • AprilMLowe
    AprilMLowe Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    Welcome!

Small Steps along the way ! You can do this! Just watch portion control and log accurately ! I wish the very best on your journey! I will gladly take all friend requests and will send you one!

• ceiswyn
    ceiswyn Posts: 2,256 Member
    Options
    The first hurdle is to believe that you can do this.

Fortunately, if you are willing to put in the honesty and the discipline, you will lose the weight. It is that simple (and that complicated and difficult).

When I was your age, I weighed almost 380 lb and could barely walk 500 yards due to ankle problems. I now weigh around 150 and can hike 18 miles. (My ankles are still damaged, but with so much less weight and so much more muscle strength they cope a lot better). If I can do it, you can :)
  • jeni62
    jeni62 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    HI 49 morbidly obese 181kg have had a heck of a life like many of you. my son has ASD and I know if I die there is no one else to look after him so I have finally decided it is my turn to pay attention to myself. Unbelievable how hard it is to get people around you including Docs and nurses to understand I now have to be a little bit selfish and put myself first. Years of running around after others doing what they want even though it is against my wishes. All I want is 1 hour a week to talk about my feelings my problems and not be asked about anything else, its like pushing @#$$# up a hill it always goes back to my family or their family or them. ONE HOUR about me. The nurse that is suppose to be supporting this program said to me I am a bit busy for about a month how about you come back then and start. OMG, told her no I will start without you (can see she is going to be useless) the program they put me on is by INOVA a pharmaceutical company so can see the conflict of interest in this so decided I would join MyFitnessPal again as this was the best program I have ever lost weight on. Lets see how I go.
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    Options
    Hi all, I’m a 36 year old new mom is my 18 month old son. I have been obese since I was 13 and struggle constantly day to day with everything healthy. Love to walk but trying to balance that with eating good and taking care of my toddler is a challenge. Need friends to help me on this journey!

The more weight you lose, the more you'll be able to ramp up your walking. And taking your toddler along with you in a stroller is great for both of you!

You don't need any special diets or supplements in order to lose weight, so don't let anyone try to sell you anything. No special diets, no supplements, no 'magic' pills.

The one thing I do suggest you purchase is a digital kitchen scale (available on Amazon for about $20) and start weighing what you eat. Losing weight is simply a matter of eating less calories than your body burns each day. Have you entered your stats into MFP and gotten a daily calorie target? That's the amount you should eat each day. Walking will add to the amount you're burning, and give you extra calories to eat while improving your health and mobility. Win/win.

Check out the threads that are pinned to the top of the forum sections. Lots of great info for people just getting started.
  • neugebauer52
    neugebauer52 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    Congratulations to your baby boy - now is the time to do something for yourself and for the little one. Don't feel lost, you have found MFP! Now you are with friends, who understand you. I am extremely morbidly obese myself, started here over 300 days ago. Use the MFP calculator, take their advise, you can not go wrong. Prepare yourself a basic meal plan for the next day, take it day by day, meal by meal. So far I have lost about 30 kg - 65 pounds - a long way to go, but MFP works and their members are very supportive as well.
  • mrs_sutsie
    mrs_sutsie Posts: 511 Member
    Options
    You're in a great place!! Loads of challenges you can join on here too. Alot of people in the 10 days challenge where you just focus on 10 days at a time - its a fab support group. Also loads of other challenges too - have a look through and join one as you'll get loads of support in there. I've personally found that its all about the planning and trying to grab time where you can for exercise - walking and swimming work great especially with kids :smile: