Weights vs Cardio

Options
There is so much different information out there and depending on who I talk to I get different answers. I have alot of body fat I'd like to loss. Right now I'm killing myself in the gym doing cardio and weights. Some people say ditch the cardio and some say ditch the weights until the scale comes down. I hate cardio but do it trying to lose weight. So which is better?

Replies

• vanityy99
    vanityy99 Posts: 2,583 Member
    Options
    Both. Cardio burns more calories, weights help you hang onto muscle (and give you a better shape when the fat comes off).

Are you saying that you’re bound to lose muscle if you only focus on losing fat?
  • estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    Options
    It's likely. I wouldn't say it's inevitable, but the odds favor it. This link has tips on how to avoid it. https://www.aworkoutroutine.com/how-to-lose-fat-without-losing-muscle/
  • roachrypt
    roachrypt Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I don't particularly like either, but I prefer very light cardio.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,897 Member
    edited February 2019
    Options
    kimtpa1417 wrote: »
    There is so much different information out there and depending on who I talk to I get different answers. I have alot of body fat I'd like to loss. Right now I'm killing myself in the gym doing cardio and weights. Some people say ditch the cardio and some say ditch the weights until the scale comes down. I hate cardio but do it trying to lose weight. So which is better?

As others have said, do both for their different health benefits.

I hate gym cardio but really look forward to spending time in the woods at lunchtime. I'm going to start working on cleaning up a very overgrown trail today. For some reason my brain really digs this. Find the cardio you enjoy.
  • steveko89
    steveko89 Posts: 2,216 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »

As others have said, do both for their different health benefits.

I hate gym cardio but really look forward to spending time in the woods at lunchtime. I'm going to start working on cleaning up a very overgrown trail today. For some reason my brain really digs this. Find the cardio you enjoy.

I'd take this advice a step further and find the method of both forms of exercise you enjoy and do them because you like them and/or place value in them outside of the calories the activities burn. I'm not at all a fan of the approach of treating exercise as a transaction for calories; I tried it for too long and had it disappoint too much to endorse it.
  • ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options

Don't ditch either. Cardio=improved aerobic capability and more calories to eat. Weights=muscle.

Although maybe ditch the gym for the cardio. blech to hampster wheels.