Protein ..weight gain ?

Options
2»

Replies

• tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    Okay, so everyone who said "wrong" right away might be thinking about whey protein in general. However, in the case of just whey protein, you shouldn't gain weight necessarily, but if you are liftin weights(probly the only time you would need extra protein) then you may gain weight but thin out as muscle is more dense and thus heavier than fat. In the SPECIFIC case of Body Fortress, I have used that brand before and your buddy might be onto something, because the Body Fortress stuff I have also has creatine in it which will cause you to hold more water weight, so you may feel a lil bloated and maintain your current poundage while losing fat just because you are retaining water, which is fine if you expect it, because when you switch to a protein without creatine you will lose that water weight. BUT there is no need to supplement your protein unless you are hitting the gym (also keep in mind that hitting the gym, specifically lifting, not cardio may cause you to gain weight due to muscle gain, so if that is the case you should pay less attention to your weight and more attention to your measurements as sometimes you can gain weight and lose inches - muscle growth and tightening being the cause) PLEASE IF YOU ARE GOING TO SUPPLEMENT THAN HIT THE WEIGHTS AND DRINK EXCESSIVE AMOUNTS(try and hit a gallon of straight water a day - you will pee a lot at first, but it will make you less hungry and your body will eventually get used to it so you can pee on a more normal schedule) OF WATER AS CREATINE AND PROTEINS WILL DEHYDRATE YOU

You don't gain muscle weight on a calorie deficit. Creatine does require large amounts of water, but you only retain water if you aren't drinking enough. When you are drinking enough water, your body doesn't retain extra, because it knows it has a constant supply. Also, not all Body Fortress Whey Protein has creatine, I had a tub that didn't. Used it as an emergency back-up when I ran out of ON Gold Standard. It's not a bad brand, not a great brand, but not a bad brand, especially for the price.
  • robin52077
    robin52077 Posts: 4,383 Member
    Options
    1. I use Body Fortress and have 5 different flavors on top of my fridge right now.

2. There is 1g of sugar in 1 scoop (26g protein)

3. There IS NO CREATINE. I had to jump up and look when I read that. There is "crystalline taurine" which just gives you energy like caffeine, which might be what the previous poster was thinking of....or there is also another tub you can by right next to the whey protein that is a mass builder and does contain creatine...but the whey does NOT.

4. and yes I know it's not the "best" one but it's cheap at walmart. :tongue:
  • Loko_Ino
    Loko_Ino Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    4. and yes I know it's not the "best" one but it's cheap at walmart. :tongue:

that is why I used it.
    Being a guy I need more protein so I now get mine from Costco..in a giant man sized bag baby =)
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    Optimum Nutrition Gold Standard Whey Protein is what I use. A 5 pound tub costs the same as 3 of the Body Fortress tubs and lasts just as long. Body Fortress is a good cheap alternative in a budget pinch though. :happy:
  • mbat763
    mbat763 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    One of my favourite breakfasts, too! And in the summer when berries are cheaper I'll throw those in too. Tastes amazing.
  • SuperMoniMonk
    SuperMoniMonk Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the info peeps .
  • SuperMoniMonk
    Options
    Thanks for all the info peeps .
  • SuperMoniMonk
    Options
    sorry multiples!! cant delete
  • Wilfred808
    Wilfred808 Posts: 113
    Options
    your friend is wrong. the only thing that will make you gain weight is a calorie surplus. dont take that persons nutritional advice again