Depressive- but trying to change my life

Options
Hi I am OK, but unlike my name I am currently not. Binge eating has been my mechanism to cope with depression and stress. Since it started a year ago, I gained 120 lbs. The weight gained has made me more depressive and extremely unhappy. I stopped dressing up, slept more, and spent several days in the house without stepping my foot out. So today, I am starting a new journey to be healthier ( mentally and physically). My biggest issue will be to stay motivated throughout my journey and with my depressive state, I know for a fact that it won't be easy. So feel free to share any advise that you may have to help me succeed.

Replies

• jriley214
    jriley214 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    We’re here for you, stay strong
  • ctleonard9
    ctleonard9 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Hi, I struggled with depression several years ago. The best thing that helped me was a good psychiatrist and finding the best combination of meds. I am not pushing drugs on you but depression can be linked to our biochemistry. It turned out I had a late diagnosis of bipolar illness where I exhibited both depressive and manic episodes. The first medication to stabilize me caused weight gain which frustrated me since I was always fit and height and weight proportioned but in retrospect it was worth it to get stabilized.

Since then I have been struggling to get and keep the weight off, I did lose 39 pounds using MFP and also by engaging in community groups. There are many here so if you surf them you will find one that suits you. I find the support helpful.

I find exercise helps my mood. It is good for me, helps burn calories and I always feel better afterwards.
    I also watch out for boredom eating especially after dinner so I have started reading after dinner to keep myself occupied plus it is a healthy hobby.

Hope some of the above helps.

Best, Cat
  • Earthmover1
    Earthmover1 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I messaged you
  • Misskcm
    Misskcm Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    I sent you a friend request. My biggest advice to you is to find people like you who are succeeding in this battle and let them motivate you. It’s hard to do it alone and even if the people you live with help you through it, chances are they don’t understand it as much as some people on here might.
    Good luck!
  • cago12
    cago12 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    @ctleanard09 Thank you for the tips and for sharing your experience
  • cago12
    cago12 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    @Earthmover1 I didn't receive your message.
  • yelgirweoj
    yelgirweoj Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I understand your position and for me journaling has helped me hold myself accountable for what i eat and when. The trick is finding what the trigger is and what you can do to change how you deal with it. I recently left social media as i found myself comparing my life to the faux life of my friends. hang in there and keep working. Its not easy but you have friends here that understand what you are going through.
  • radtrae
    radtrae Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I have been in your shoes. I was over 300lbs and I kept eating. I hated myself and what I had become. I was depressed to say the least. I stayed that way for 3 years. Then one day I went for a walk. Then I made it part of my life and found this app. It’s 5 years later, and I’ve had ups and downs, but I’m healthy and happy. I do CrossFit (and no I don’t look it, I’m still 50lbs away from my goals) everyday and walk. Here are my tips:

1. Set small goals like I’m going to walk today for 30 mins. Once you reached those goals... set more.
    2. You can still have that food you love (for me it’s ice cream) just not everyday. Once a week as a treat for being good.
    3. Allow yourself to fail....it’s ok we all do it. Just get back to it.
    4. Find what works for you. Advice is just that. In the end you will find what works.
    5. Find someone to help motivate you. Friends, family or even a stranger you talk to and can be open about how you feel. Trust me it helps.

You can do this....have faith
  • Earthmover1
    Earthmover1 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I sent u a request
  • try2again
    try2again Posts: 3,562 Member
    Options
    Also sent a PM.