How to begin a program at the Gym

Options
I recently got a membership at a gym. whats the best way to get in and start working out with out looking like a rookie.

Replies

• quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    StrongLifts 5X5. Easy free app to follow.
  • puffbrat
    puffbrat Posts: 2,806 Member
    Options
    Look at this post: https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10332083/which-lifting-program-is-the-best-for-you/p1

Does your gym offer a free session with a trainer to learn to use the equipment? If so, do that.

It doesn't matter if you look like a rookie, you are there for yourself and no one else. Focus on your form, don't be an *kitten*, re-rack your weights when you are done.
  • Cahgetsfit
    Cahgetsfit Posts: 1,912 Member
    Options
    if your gym offers a free session take it. if you can afford a personal trainer for a little while (doens't have to be long time) get one to show you HOW to lift - as in technique. Once you have the technique downpat you can go off on your own and just choose a program off the internet (there are a billion free ones out there) and go for your life.

don't worry about looking like a rookie, we all started somewhere!

I strongly recommend getting personal guidance on how to lift though.
  • knightreader
    knightreader Posts: 813 Member
    Options
    nobody cares what youre doing except you. there are plenty of programs out there on the internet. can't remember which one i used, but one thing i recommend it writing it down on an index card and carrying it in your pocket so you can refer to it. checking your phone every lift makes you look like an idiot. but thats only if people are actually watching, which, as i said most people aren't. and the ones that are, you won't see. if i had to look at my phone to watch a video on proper form, i moved over to the side, out of the lifting area to watch it. not a huge fan of personal trainer. i guess it works for some, but i didn't need one. did a lot of research on my own.
  • gt0186b
    gt0186b Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I've started back to the gym recently. I do cardio for about 30 minutes and then use the weight machines. I do legs one day and arms/chest the other. I plan to do that for a month or two to help build some more strength before I go the personal trainer route.
  • ctleonard9
    ctleonard9 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I agree with Cahgetsfit. Most gyms offer some free personal training sessions with a new membership. Even if it is only a few sessions, they can show you how to use equipment with the proper techniques which is very important so you do not injure yourself. I use a personal trainer with my weekly workouts. He is a great motivator and knows my strengths and weaknesses so we workout accordingly.

Good luck on your new endeavor.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Pick an established program that appeals to you and follow the program. The program will dictate your movements on a particular day...go into gym and workout.
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,405 Member
    Options
    Stronglifts is great. If you don't have a good feeling for your body though it might be a good idea to get a session with a trainer who shows you how to do the big lifts. Also, it might be worth reading up on how to do them properly, which muscles to use, etc.
  • ExistingFish
    ExistingFish Posts: 1,259 Member
    Options
    nobody cares what youre doing except you. there are plenty of programs out there on the internet. can't remember which one i used, but one thing i recommend it writing it down on an index card and carrying it in your pocket so you can refer to it. checking your phone every lift makes you look like an idiot. but thats only if people are actually watching, which, as i said most people aren't. and the ones that are, you won't see. if i had to look at my phone to watch a video on proper form, i moved over to the side, out of the lifting area to watch it. not a huge fan of personal trainer. i guess it works for some, but i didn't need one. did a lot of research on my own.
    Guess I look like an idiot...
    I'm on my rest period after my sets, who cares if I spend that minute looking at my phone or a piece of paper...

Yeah, I change my music between lifts all the time. Sometimes I get messages and it pings my headphones, I check those between sets too.

I also carry a piece of paper with my workout on it though. I like writing it with pen and paper when I do stuff.
  • cathipa
    cathipa Posts: 2,991 Member
    Options

I must look like an idiot when I use my Jefit app to log my reps/sets and have a rest timer between sets. But as you said initially no one cares what you're doing except you (or maybe others do care).
  • tirowow12385
    tirowow12385 Posts: 698 Member
    Options
    yelgirweoj wrote: »
    I recently got a membership at a gym. whats the best way to get in and start working out with out looking like a rookie.

Why would you not look like a rookie? You are new. This is not something you shy be concern about.
  • tirowow12385
    tirowow12385 Posts: 698 Member
    Options
    Acknowledge you are new, learn what you need to do and you won't go in there and look like you've been working for a long time, acknowledge that and it's okay, it's okay to make mistakes in front of people, that's how you grow, little by little, you learn you grow, give yourself a year of learning then when you get the basics down,, reassess, learning your main concern. Good luck and enjoy.
  • Danp
    Danp Posts: 1,561 Member
    Options
    Yep, every time I've decided to hit the gym the first thing I do is put my routine into Jefit (or fitness-app-de-jour) to keep track of reps, sets and rests.

I've always thought that people only had a problem with people who sit for ages on the bench flicking through instagram and taking/posting mirror selfies.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,195 Member
    Options
    In to add: Everyone in that room was a rookie once (maybe more ;) ). Most of them remember.
  • KristaMac88
    KristaMac88 Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    I have had a membership for a couple weeks now and still tend to go to the cardio machines i know. I try and get to the free weights and mats behind the cardio equipment when i see no one is there. Today i did some crunches and weight ball/ ab workouts and there was a tiny thing killing it with some weights beside me and Im sure she wasnt judging me... but all i could think was how much of a beached whale trying to get up I must have looked like. Its hard. But every day gets a little better. until you venture into a new section aha I might try and see if they will get a trainer to work with me one day to get into some weights without hurting myself.