Beginning Again ~ Changing my life after a trauma (TW: Sexual Assault)

Options
Hi everyone!

My name is SK and I’m a 30yo single mama from Brisbane, Australia. I’m about to begin studying Medical Science at uni. I’m an anatomy and physiology nerd, I love makeup and I sometimes make stuff, paint stuff and sing stuff.

A few months back, I lost 20kg. I have since in the last 3 weeks out about 10kg back on. 3 weeks ago today, I was raped. My psychologist helped me realised that eating has been one of my coping mechanisms.

I’m starting to recover (although each day is different) but now I’m on a few new medications and really can’t afford to put any more weight on. I already have hypertension (have had two hypertensive crisis’) and the meds I’m on cause weight gain also.

I’m sitting at 106.6kg currently. My goal is around 75kg. I want to be healthy and fit and enjoy exercise and doing activities, rather than fat and unfit and sweaty and miserable.

So today (at 10.30pm!) is the start of the journey for me. I’m going to go to the gym tomorrow and sort out a time to see a trainer, I’m going to walk every day and make choices to include incidental exercise, and I’m going to fuel my body with good, healthy food instead of whatever is around or ordering Mexican (which I’ve done more times than I can count!)

I look forward to meeting you all and hopefully I can help some of you as I hope you can help me too!

Love to you all,
SK 😘

Replies

• jamiesbrown82
    jamiesbrown82 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Change is good! Good luck. Fresh start!
  • ghudson92
    ghudson92 Posts: 2,061 Member
    Options
    Your strength is amazing, picking yourself up and carrying on after such a traumatic experience is a real credit to your character. I wish you all the luck in the world on your journey :heart:
  • yelgirweoj
    yelgirweoj Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    wow! you are incredibly strong for being able to share your story! Attack your goals as I don't see anything that can hold you back! You Go!
  • amyelizbeth
    amyelizbeth Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    You are amazing and your strength is inspirational!
  • KerrieA87
    KerrieA87 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    It is possible to get on with your life after a sexual assault, it may take time and a few unexpected back steps when you think you’ve got a handle on what happened and you find you’re not exactly “there” yet.
    Hopefully your attacker is brought to court and sentenced.

Weight wise do as much as you can and push yourself to achieve your goals. I wish you love and luck x