Options
2»

Replies

• estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    edited February 2019
    Options
    valleylhc wrote: »
    Weighing yourself daily is only beneficial to cardiac patients, people monitoring blood pressure or people with diabetes and some athletes like wrestling. Weight can flectuate due to carb intake, hormones, exercise, certain medication...lots of stuff so it’s not accurate for a newb trying to lose weight, it benefits you not. Even if someone wants to look at trends it’s not accurate, too many variables. What it will do is discourage you, that’s 100% true. Measure yourself monthly, weigh in once a week, in morning to get more accurate results, but really the tape measurement isn’t going to lie.

Sure it can. Water weight can bloat a waist measurement, not having the tape measure in the exact same spot, etc. Plus it can take 6-8 weeks to notice a difference. Sometimes longer; it took over 6 months to lose an inch each on my waist and hips despite dropping over 20lbs. (Got great legs, arms and shoulders, though.)
  • angelsja
    angelsja Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    13ecca4 wrote: »
    I’ve noticed on a few post people talking about weight trends. Would anyone be able to explain what exactly this is? It’s probably what it says on the tin but I’m a little confused!
    From what I’ve read people weigh themselves daily and use an app like Happy scales to log it?
    I always though weighing yourself every day. What’s the reason behind doing it daily?
    Thanks for any advice.

Whether you weigh daily, a couple times per week, or weekly, or monthly, the trend is what you want to look at. Weighing in more often just gives you more data points. At this point, I only weigh in once per week...sometimes twice.

weighttrendgraph1.gif

The blue is the individual weigh ins...as you can see, the fluctuate up and down quite a bit. The red is the overall trend and the trend is what is important.

What app is this? Looks way better than libra
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    angelsja wrote: »
    I’ve noticed on a few post people talking about weight trends. Would anyone be able to explain what exactly this is? It’s probably what it says on the tin but I’m a little confused!
    From what I’ve read people weigh themselves daily and use an app like Happy scales to log it?
    I always though weighing yourself every day. What’s the reason behind doing it daily?
    Thanks for any advice.

Whether you weigh daily, a couple times per week, or weekly, or monthly, the trend is what you want to look at. Weighing in more often just gives you more data points. At this point, I only weigh in once per week...sometimes twice.

weighttrendgraph1.gif

The blue is the individual weigh ins...as you can see, the fluctuate up and down quite a bit. The red is the overall trend and the trend is what is important.

No idea, it's just a stock picture from the internet.
  • angelsja
    angelsja Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    angelsja wrote: »
    Thanks for any advice.

weighttrendgraph1.gif

No idea, it's just a stock picture from the internet.

Awe :( poo
  • JBanx256
    JBanx256 Posts: 1,477 Member
    Options
    Dilvish wrote: »
    Even experts agree that weighing yourself daily is not accurate. For the best accuracy, use a tape measure instead, not a scale.

Once a week at the same time of day on the same scale will give you a more consistent result.

Also realize that most "consumer" scales can be off by as much as 2-5 lbs!

In my experience people who weigh themselves daily are usually in a hurry to lose weight and will almost always gain it all back. Sustained weight loss takes a lot of time and effort and is a lifestyle change, not a diet!

Sorry, you are incorrect. There are plenty of experts who agree that weighing daily is fine (for some, it's mandatory); some others say 2-4x per week. I've personally worked with coaches who expect/demand weight to be logged daily (and please note these aren't the "coaches" who got their certifications from an online course that took them a few hours to complete and they do not train novices who don't know their arses from their elbows). If you really want to push this point, I'll be more than happy to provide citations by people with degrees, up to and including PhD's.

I've also validated my "consumer" scale to be accurate within less than 0.2 lbs (compared to a scale that has been state-certified for trade purposes, meaning its margin of error is within less than one gram).
  • JBanx256
    JBanx256 Posts: 1,477 Member
    edited February 2019
    Options
    I'm happy to provide links to literature regarding why body-tape measurements are often inaccurate/misleading. It's easier to manipulate a tape than a scale.

But please, continue to impart your vast knowledge on us all...we're all very impressed and humbled by your wisdom so far...