How much weight did you lose before someone noticed?

Options
Just a random thought. I'm down 15 lbs, and I feel good. I wonder how much I'd have to lose before anyone would notice? I have about 50 more to lose, so I would think at some point it would be noticeable.

Replies

• Running2Fit
    Running2Fit Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    A lot of people won’t comment, even if they notice. Weight can be a touchy subject and people don’t want to be rude. I did get some comments from family around 20-30 lbs lost.

If you haven’t already, I definitely recommend taking progress pictures. It really helps you see the difference!
  • Kathleen_Presnell
    Kathleen_Presnell Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    People started to notice at 20 pounds. Most will not say anything. I don't care. Some want to know how...and others have told me that they feel bad since I'm losing weight and they are not? It is a touchy subject! I'm doing KETO and maybe don't agree with it saying it's not healthy. I feel great. Look so much better. My skin on my face cleared up and in my hair. My face looks good and I'm losing inches all over~! No exercise yet but that's next on the schedule.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    pnst84ever wrote: »
    Just a random thought. I'm down 15 lbs, and I feel good. I wonder how much I'd have to lose before anyone would notice? I have about 50 more to lose, so I would think at some point it would be noticeable.

Talking about someone's weight, even to give a compliment is kind of taboo. People might not say anything at all, even if they notice. A lot of people can't take a compliment for what it is and they interpret, "Hey...it looks like you've lost some weight...good for you, you look great" to mean "Wow...you used to look like a big fat piece of *kitten* before you lost weight."

Also, if your weight loss is slow, changes are subtle and people who see you everyday may not really register. I received very few comments on my weight loss and I look like an entirely different person. I only remember getting a couple of comments and they were both from people who I didn't see on the regular and it had been months since I bumped into them.
  • angelsja
    angelsja Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    3stone/42lbs
  • estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    Options
    About 25lbs for someone who I hadn't told about it.
  • TRIX5884
    TRIX5884 Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    "Are you a woman who’s curious about how many pounds you need to lose before others will notice? Here’s the answer:

Weight Lose This Much To Get Noticed
    < 140 5 – 10 pounds
    141 – 169 10 – 15 pounds
    170 – 209 20 – 25 pounds
    210 – 249 25 – 30 pounds
    250+ 25 – 35 pounds"

Original Article:
    https://mrskinnypants.com/notice-weight-loss/
  • estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    Options
    TRIX5884 wrote: »
    "Are you a woman who’s curious about how many pounds you need to lose before others will notice? Here’s the answer:

Weight Lose This Much To Get Noticed
    < 140 5 – 10 pounds
    141 – 169 10 – 15 pounds
    170 – 209 20 – 25 pounds
    210 – 249 25 – 30 pounds
    250+ 25 – 35 pounds"

Original Article:
    https://mrskinnypants.com/notice-weight-loss/

Aaaand that seems to be right on the money for me. My SW was 254lbs and (as I mention above), I got my first comment at the 25lb mark.
  • Allgaun
    Allgaun Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    That chart seems really accurate to me. In the past I've lost weight and no one seems to notice but you run into someone who hasn't seen you for a while and they notice right away.
  • pnst84ever
    pnst84ever Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I'm not worried about anyone commenting. I'm just curious!
  • whatalazyidiot
    whatalazyidiot Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    I think it depends a lot on where you started and how much you have to lose. Also where the fat tends to come off first. But for me, 20-30 lbs seems to be the magic number.
  • deepwoodslady
    deepwoodslady Posts: 10,862 Member
    Options
    Nearly 50 pounds before anyone close to me noticed. It is easier for someone who has not seen you in a long while to see it first. I started at 5'5" and 235 female. I was disheartened too. Remember, you are doing it for yourself not others but I understand the wish for support & well wishes. I lost my weight pretty fast & thought everyone would see, but sometimes it just doesn't happen. If you are still wearing some of the same tops, it may take some new pieces (and smaller peices) before they get it. I wore the older ones for awhile. They got baggier for sure, but when they see you in the same clothes, sometimes they think you must be the same size. Best wishes.