Is it possible to tone muscle and loose 5-7 pounds at the same time?

Options
I know the calories in vs. calories out works. Following that with the help up myfitnesspal I lost 30 pounds. Then holidays and the flu got me out of my routine and I gained 12 back. I have since lost 7 of that. I have the cardio down but I have not been consistent with weight training/ toning. So I started working with a personal trainer this week to get my on a program. I want to tone what I have. I will still continue with my cardio. So my question is can I still loose the 5 pounds while I am working on toning up? Thank you.

Candie

Replies

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Are you asking if you can lift weights and still lose weight? Yes, of course...as long as you're in a calorie deficit you'll lose weight. You will most likely put on some water weight when you start lifting, so you'll have a new starting point.
  • ladybug4233
    ladybug4233 Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    By toning I mean resistance and core training. Like sit ups, tricep dips, weighted medicine ball activities.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    By toning I mean resistance and core training. Like sit ups, tricep dips, weighted medicine ball activities.

Typically by "tone" people are speaking about a certain set of results. If you're asking instead about a set of activities, yes. You can absolutely engage in those activities while losing weight. You just need to be at a calorie deficit.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options

This is basically recomp but with a small deficit, at 5 pounds left to lose keep it around 250 cals. When you have finished losing weight, move to maintenance and keep progressing with your strength training. Be consistent, the results will come.

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10177803/recomposition-maintaining-weight-while-losing-fat/p1

• ladybug4233
    ladybug4233 Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    RoxieDawn wrote: »

This is basically recomp but with a small deficit, at 5 pounds left to lose keep it around 250 cals. When you have finished losing weight, move to maintenance and keep progressing with your strength training. Be consistent, the results will come.

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10177803/recomposition-maintaining-weight-while-losing-fat/p1

Thanks for taking the time to help me. I always thought recomp meant heavy lifting. Im no where near that level.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options

Thanks for taking the time to help me. I always thought recomp meant heavy lifting. Im no where near that level.

You mentioned personal trainer, he/she is setting you up a strength training program designed to help you with your specific goals??? While doing body weight, calisthenics, etc. are fine for now, you will reach a point where you will no longer progress and will need to add resistance (weights for example).
  • magnusthenerd
    magnusthenerd Posts: 1,207 Member
    Options
    If you've never really done resistance training before, you can make fair progress while still losing weight. The need for a calorie surplus is more for intermediate and advanced lifters.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    If you've never really done resistance training before, you can make fair progress while still losing weight. The need for a calorie surplus is more for intermediate and advanced lifters.

the gains will actually be very very small in a deficit for most. unless you are getting back to lifting, have really good genetics,you are new to lifting or your deficit is small enough to be close to maintenance. muscle takes time to build and anything done in a deficit will be small and take longer to gain. the need for a surplus is for those who want to gain appreciable muscle(which also comes with fat gain) not just those who are imtermediate or advanced lifters.its also going to be slower in women as well.
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,409 Member
    Options

Lifting heavy is individual. A beginner won't be able to lift a lot, but would still lift heavy for their current strength. Thus yes, you could be lifting heavy. I would book a session with a trainer though and ask him to show you how to do the exercises properly. Stronglift 5x5 is a good starter programme with an easy progression explanation.
  • jasonpoihegatama
    jasonpoihegatama Posts: 496 Member
    Options
    Sure you can. And this will be the best way for you to it! Stay at it!
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options

'heavy lifting' is whatever is heavy to the individual, regardless of whether that's 5lbs or 100lbs... anyone can 'lift heavy'. it will give you the results you're after