Maintaining after a diet.

Options
Hey everyone, so I have dieted for the past 3 years, getting to my goal weight then slowly increasing by 10kg until the next time I’m motivated... I’m on a diet now, and loosing weight well and enjoying the diet, the point is this time I want to maintain my goal weight permanently, any tips on maintaining weight long term post dieting??

Replies

• LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    Options
    Yeah as others have said, maintenance is no different to when losing, we just get some extra calories to work with.
  • elisa123gal
    elisa123gal Posts: 4,287 Member
    Options
    I regained too much over the holidays, about 8 pounds.... and tell you what, I'm doing what I need to do..,but I will never gain more than a few pounds ever again. I'm thinking three pounds max for me. I've spent all of January working on it.. maybe by Valentines I'll be back to ground zero.

It isn't that it is hard to get it off..because we all know what to do, . It makes me feel foolish for some reason.

I don't know if I have a tip since I slipped lol.. but I think weighing regularly or trying on your tightest clothing item every week to catch the creep early on. I did not do these things. now I am.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Save for my usual 8ish Lb winter weight gains, I've maintained going on 6 years. I eat the same in maintenance as I do when I'm dieting...just a bit more calories. I still exercise regularly (this dips in winter and thus the slight weight gain). I monitor my weight and weigh in at least weekly and I just don't let things get too out of hand.
  • purple4sure05
    purple4sure05 Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    I'm curious as to why so many people say they only have "a few more calories" in maintenance? Is this because they're working at a smaller deficit? I'm at 2 lbs lost per week roughly so about 1000 calories of a deficit per day. I assume the difference in maintenance should be at least 700 to 800 more than what I'm eating now?
  • elliebath52
    elliebath52 Posts: 13 Member
    edited February 2019
    Options
    I upped by 100 daily cals every week until I found the level at which I could maintain and not gain. In my case I had lost 35 lbs in 2015. I am now 66 , 5ft 4 and 133 lbs and maintain on 1550 calories . I allow myself a fluctuation of up to 4-5 lbs before I take action.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,998 Member
    Options
    I'm curious as to why so many people say they only have "a few more calories" in maintenance? Is this because they're working at a smaller deficit? I'm at 2 lbs lost per week roughly so about 1000 calories of a deficit per day. I assume the difference in maintenance should be at least 700 to 800 more than what I'm eating now?

I guess " a few" is not really specific.

But I certainly didn't gain 700 - 800 when I swapped to maintenance. I went from 1460 to 1710 - so a difference of 250.

• elisa123gal
    elisa123gal Posts: 4,287 Member
    edited February 2019
    Options
    to add to the above post...as you lose weight.. your calorie allowance will go down...you won't have 1000 deficit a day by the time you hit your goal.
  • heikeeberwein9208
    Options
    Hi

I’ve lost 31 pounds since I started using this app in July and am 2 pounds away from my goal.

Currently on 1290 calories and set to loose 1 pound a week.

I think I’m ready to look at maintaining now but am so scared to add calories back. I’m kinda really used to my current intake. I’m not starving. But if I set to maintain it goes up to 1800 and I don’t think I want to or even can go that high. I wanna stay as I am now and not put it all back on.

This is the first time I’ve lost this much weight and I’m so proud to be back to pre kids shape.

• LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    edited February 2019
    Options
    nowine4me wrote: »
    Wait a minute....they still make Mars bars?

In the UK you can get protein Mars Bars!

Cheers, h.
    (They are not as good as regular)

And they're horrible... :/ (the protein ones I mean, not the regular :smiley: )
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    Hi

I’ve lost 31 pounds since I started using this app in July and am 2 pounds away from my goal.

Currently on 1290 calories and set to loose 1 pound a week.

I think I’m ready to look at maintaining now but am so scared to add calories back. I’m kinda really used to my current intake. I’m not starving. But if I set to maintain it goes up to 1800 and I don’t think I want to or even can go that high. I wanna stay as I am now and not put it all back on.

This is the first time I’ve lost this much weight and I’m so proud to be back to pre kids shape.

Are you losing about 1 lb/week at your current intake? Are you eating back any exercise calories? How accurate is your logging?

Its usually recommended to ease into maintenance and slow down weight loss by changing your goal to 0.5 lb/week when you get within 20 or so pounds of your target. This also helps preserve lean body mass by not losing more than your current fat stored can reasonably support. Plus it gives you practice eating a few more calories, 250, and can help minimize the short term rebound weight gain that people often see when they switch rapidly to maintenance.