Help! Can’t “Go”...

Options

Replies

• Kandisn29
    Kandisn29 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    One of my new favorite snacks is dried goldenberries. They are sort of like figs, but very tart, and I eat just less than 1/4 cup a day. They help tremendously in this department! Just don’t eat too many!
  • AprilFlowersinPA1
    Options
    Milk of magnesia and lots of water and activity
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    edited February 2019
    Options
    I also second the fat intake question.
  • rosiorama
    rosiorama Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    Prunes. If you eat too many you’ll have the opposite problem though. I actually love them and eat them pretty regularly (haha). Beets also help in that department (for me) especially if I don’t eat them all the time.

And someone else mentioned coffee. And definitely drink more water when you up your fibre!
  • lthames0810
    lthames0810 Posts: 722 Member
    Options
    I struggled with this for a long time. The only difference between my gaining weight eating and my losing weight eating was less candy and cookies. And yet I stopped going every day to only going once a week. What sometimes gave me relief was a big steak dinner at a restaurant. This gives credence to the added fat idea.

But I stumbled on to something about gut bacteria having some relationship to regularity. I switched up my breakfast from oat meal to yogurt with all bran buds cereal and blueberries. Worked very well for me. I now have that same breakfast (with additional liquid like milk or juice and using frozen blueberries) in the form of a smoothie.
  • scribblemoma
    scribblemoma Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    I take a very low dose (.25 to .50 doses) of Miralax 2x a week which dissolves tastelessly in my coffee. It doesn’t make me run to the bathroom everyday but it keeps things moving. I have a great fiber intake but have struggled with infrequent bowel movements since I was a child...we’re talking 2 weeks 😮 A doctor recommended this approach and it’s worked ever since!

Best of luck! The lower gut bloat from not going regularly is awful!
  • sineceilidh
    sineceilidh Posts: 8 Member
    edited February 2019
    Options
    Are you only watching what you're eating, or are you exercising as well? The more I exercise, the more regular I become. I have issues with regular BM when I don't eat well and/or don't exercise. Maybe I should be concentrating more on how the foods I'm eating affect me. In the mean time, you might try upping your gym game if you feel that that's it's maybe not enough :)
  • cheryldumais
    cheryldumais Posts: 1,907 Member
    Options
    Well one of the best regulators is Magnesium. I take it daily. Also if things are miserable and you don't want to use a laxative try eating a few sugar free candies that have sorbitol in them. Those always work for me.
  • guil0095
    guil0095 Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    Fellow vegetarian here! :)<3 Have you tried tea? Herbal teas can do wonders. Cleans everything right out! :D
  • Pipsqueak1965
    Pipsqueak1965 Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    Try acidophilus - it's helped me with this problem - it's a probiotic.
  • BuffyBourbon
    BuffyBourbon Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    Bananas could also be an issue, if you've recently increased them, and you like them on the green side. I like them slightly green myself, and but if they are too green they can cause constipation, as well as some gastric distress. :#
  • brittlb07
    brittlb07 Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    Thank you, all! So many suggestions! All I’ve had time for yet is the butter popcorn! I’ll have to go to the store for the rest. I did recently stop drinking coffee because I was wasting calories on creamer. Maybe the sudden change in coffee led to this?
  • rosiorama
    rosiorama Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    brittlb07 wrote: »
    Thank you, all! So many suggestions! All I’ve had time for yet is the butter popcorn! I’ll have to go to the store for the rest. I did recently stop drinking coffee because I was wasting calories on creamer. Maybe the sudden change in coffee led to this?

I have no idea about the coffee additions... but try switching to plain black coffee. I made the painful transition ( I drank coffee with cream and two sugars for over twenty years!) and now I can’t stand coffee with anything in it! It took getting used to but now it’s one thing I never worry about calorie-wise.

Good luck with figuring this out! ☺️
  • Arizona_C
    Arizona_C Posts: 1,476 Member
    Options
    Start running, or jogging, whatever you are confortable with. It is the best way ever to make your whole system work. Just 15-20 minutes a day, or every second day, it does wonders for your digestion
  • leejoyce31
    leejoyce31 Posts: 794 Member
    Options
    Add 1 -2 Tbs. of Carrington Farms Ground Flax & Chia Blend to some yogurt or a smoothie each day. It works wonders and provides Omega-3. https://tinyurl.com/yakcxnlb

I just started the 1 Tbs ground flax about a month ago and just reduced the amount because I am stopped up. I may have to cut the flax completely. I add it to my egg salad and really like texture that it gives my salad, but I'm afraid it's stopping me up.
  • cheryldumais
    cheryldumais Posts: 1,907 Member
    Options
    Yes, I would guess the coffee is a big factor. It always moves things along for me when I drink it.
  • collectingblues
    collectingblues Posts: 2,541 Member
    Options
    The coffee could definitely be a factor -- especially if your body was used to the coffee and the caffeine to sort of get things going.
  • karlpm
    karlpm Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    If you're eating more fibre you have to have more water to go with it. Fibre won't do anything at all without water.

Fibre draws water into your guts to aid with moving everything along.

Fibre without water can actually block you up.

Oh and a lot of people find that bananas can block them up so I'd lay off them for a few days.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,515 Member
    Options
    Still haven't seen any indication about fat intake?
  • johnroux1
    johnroux1 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    The OP finally went. She thanks all.
    an184ywvxweo.gif