Too Little Calories? PLEASE HELP!

Options
Hey guys,
I have a bit of a problem! I work out 5-6 times a week (3 resistance training sessions and 4 cardio sessions) and I’m currently eating 1500 calories.i also practice Intermittent fasting (16/8 mainly). However, a lot of TDEE calculators suggest that I should be having 1800-2000 calories but I think it may be too much? I’m so afraid of regaining weight!

Any help would be great!

Thanks!

Replies

• Panini911
    Panini911 Posts: 2,325 Member
    edited February 2019
    Options
    Where did you get the 1500?

If that is what MFP suggested, that is to eat BEFORE (or WITHOUT) purposeful exercise so at minimum you should be eating back the exercise calories for each of those work outs.

but also, what rate of loss did you select and how much do you plan to lose?

how long have you been eating 1500 and how much have you lost in that time?
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,971 Member
    Options
    Only way to know is to try.

1800-2000 is a perfectly reasonable number for me. I don't gain on that, but you won't know unless you try.

Are you hungry frequently? How are you tracking your food? You may be eating closer to that than you think if you are just guessing on weights of food you eat.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    edited February 2019
    Options
    TDEE calcuators include your exercise. MFP is NEAT and does not include exercise so you will add that separately each time you perform exercise.

What did you setup your activity level in MFP?

This video gives an explanation of eating back your exercise calories.

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10503681/exercise-calories-do-i-eat-these-a-video-explanation/p1
  • lthames0810
    lthames0810 Posts: 722 Member
    Options

1800-2000 is a perfectly reasonable number for me. I don't gain on that, but you won't know unless you try.

Are you hungry frequently? How are you tracking your food? You may be eating closer to that than you think if you are just guessing on weights of food you eat.

My thoughts exactly! Why fear something that *might* happen especially when the consequences of it are so easily solved?
  • izzyoramah920
    izzyoramah920 Posts: 16 Member
    Options

Previously I was on 1200 calories. Then increased it to 1500 calories at the beginning of the year. I wasn’t hungry before but now I feel myself getting more hungry.

I track everything I eat along with my exercise.
  • tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,136 Member
    Options

Previously I was on 1200 calories. Then increased it to 1500 calories at the beginning of the year. I wasn’t hungry before but now I feel myself getting more hungry.

I track everything I eat along with my exercise.

and are you eating those exercise calories back? that's how MFP is meant to work, no point in using a tool if you're not using it properly.

mn64nzjxzrxy.jpg

• izzyoramah920
    Options
    Panini911 wrote: »

If that is what MFP suggested, that is to eat BEFORE (or WITHOUT) purposeful exercise so at minimum you should be eating back the exercise calories for each of those work outs.

I’m still relatively new-ish to weight loss. I got the figure from a woman with similar characteristics to me and saw that she saw a lot of results. But now that I’m learning more, that probably wasn’t a good idea.

I picked to lose 1.5 pounds a week and I have 35 pounds left to lose.

I started losing weight in September and was eating roughly 1200 calories. I lost quite a bit but decided to increase it to 1500 at the beginning of the year because I started exercising more intensely (+ was getting more hungry). I’ve lost ~4 pounds since the start of the year.

It’s a bit discouraging because I’m expecting myself to lose 1.5 pounds a week only to see less than that being lost.

I know that weight loss is slow and I’m at the middle of my journey, but I’m scared that I’m currently under-eating.

Thanks!
    (Sorry for this long response)
  • izzyoramah920
    Options
    RoxieDawn wrote: »
    TDEE calcuators include your exercise. MFP is NEAT and does not include exercise so you will add that separately each time you perform exercise.

What did you setup your activity level in MFP?

This video gives an explanation of eating back your exercise calories.

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10503681/exercise-calories-do-i-eat-these-a-video-explanation/p1

I workout 3-5 times a week. I selected lightly active but lowered the calories because I was getting conflicting nutritional information. I saw people who were also working out frequently eating 1200-1500 calories, so I assumed anything more would be too much.

I know this sounds silly but I’m just trying to get my nutrition on the right track.
  • MichelleSilverleaf
    MichelleSilverleaf Posts: 2,028 Member
    Options

I’m still relatively new-ish to weight loss. I got the figure from a woman with similar characteristics to me and saw that she saw a lot of results. But now that I’m learning more, that probably wasn’t a good idea.

I started losing weight in September and was eating roughly 1200 calories. I lost quite a bit but decided to increase it to 1500 at the beginning of the year because I started exercising more intensely (+ was getting more hungry). I’ve lost ~4 pounds since the start of the year.

It’s a bit discouraging because I’m expecting myself to lose 1.5 pounds a week only to see less than that being lost.

I know that weight loss is slow and I’m at the middle of my journey, but I’m scared that I’m currently under-eating.

Thanks!

I'd drop that to 1lb/week, and eat to whatever number MFP gives you for that. 4lbs is quite good for what you have left to lose, that is inevitably going to slow down the closer you get to your goal. You might want to also look at your macros if you're finding you're hungry often, and play around with those. For example when I manage to keep my protein to around 60-80g I have an easier time staying on track, I don't feel hungry all day and I don't 'forage' for snacks or something to eat. It's a little different for everyone but that will help. Also eating back a portion of your exercise calories.
  • izzyoramah920
    Options
    crl0mrrurhno.jpeg

Thanks!

I'd drop that to 1lb/week, and eat to whatever number MFP gives you for that. 4lbs is quite good for what you have left to lose, that is inevitably going to slow down the closer you get to your goal. You might want to also look at your macros if you're finding you're hungry often, and play around with those. For example when I manage to keep my protein to around 60-80g I have an easier time staying on track, I don't feel hungry all day and I don't 'forage' for snacks or something to eat. It's a little different for everyone but that will help. Also eating back a portion of your exercise calories.

Okay so I dropped it down to 1lb a week and I selected lightly active. I’m nervous but I’ll try this set up for a week and adjust if I need to.

Should I also get a fitness watch or something to keep track of my activity level?

Thanks!
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    crl0mrrurhno.jpeg

Thanks!

Okay so I dropped it down to 1lb a week and I selected lightly active. I’m nervous but I’ll try this set up for a week and adjust if I need to.

Should I also get a fitness watch or something to keep track of my activity level?

Thanks!

that's a lot of protein. is there a reason you chose those macros?
  • Panini911
    Panini911 Posts: 2,325 Member
    Options
    crl0mrrurhno.jpeg

Thanks!

Thanks!

Do you use a food scale?

I agree with the above 1lb/week is terrific and perfect for where you are at.
  • Redordeadhead
    Redordeadhead Posts: 1,188 Member
    Options
    crl0mrrurhno.jpeg

Thanks!

Thanks!

One week is not long enough to evaluate anything. Give it 4-6 weeks and then assess.
  • izzyoramah920
    Options
    crl0mrrurhno.jpeg

Thanks!

Thanks!

Do you use a food scale?

I agree with the above 1lb/week is terrific and perfect for where you are at.

Yeah I use a foodscale religiously lol. I don’t trust serving sizes on some foods
  • izzyoramah920
    Options
    crl0mrrurhno.jpeg

Thanks!

Thanks!

that's a lot of protein. is there a reason you chose those macros?

I watched a video and the person said to start with those macros.

I actually struggle a lot to meet my daily protein goals.

Should I adjust them?
  • ceiswyn
    ceiswyn Posts: 2,256 Member
    Options
    I watched a video and the person said to start with those macros.

There are a lot of videos out there, and a lot of people telling you what you should do. Most of them are talking nonsense. Take all dietary advice with a pinch of salt!