Ground beef- How to measure after its cooked

Options
As you can tell, im trying to get back into the swing of things. Want to make sure im doing my best at measuring.

So, there is no way for me to measure before being cooked. How do i measure ground beef or ground chicken after its cooked?

appreciate any advice.

Replies

• puffbrat
    puffbrat Posts: 2,806 Member
    Options
    You can also use the recipe builder. Enter the raw weight as the ingredient and the cooked weight as the number of servings. This is what I often do since I cook for my family and typically in large enough quantity for one or more nights of leftovers.
  • raven56706
    raven56706 Posts: 918 Member
    Options
    i looked for cooked options but cant find one.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,960 Member
    edited February 2019
    Options
    If you aren't cooking it yourself, you'll have to guess. I mean, there are all different fat percentages in ground beef too. That affects calories and macros quite a bit.

If you're at a restaurant ask the server for the weight.

If you are cooking it yourself you can weigh it raw.
    raven56706 wrote: »

Did you click that link kami3006 posted? It is the cooked entries from USDA.
  • raven56706
    raven56706 Posts: 918 Member
    Options
    If you aren't cooking it yourself, you'll have to guess. I mean, there are all different fat percentages in ground beef too. That affects calories and macros quite a bit.

i did and i have zero clue how to use that website. hahaha maybe i am missing something
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,960 Member
    edited February 2019
    Options

i did and i have zero clue how to use that website. hahaha maybe i am missing something

Oh. Well teaching you how is above my pay grade. You just click the one you like and then adjust the portion size in the "Value per 100 g" or "oz 85 g" and then it tells you the calories and macros for that size.

Restaurant portions are often 4 ounces (quarter pound.) They mostly use 80/20 or 85/15 beef.

Here: 4 ounces cooked 85/15 - so use the far right column. I picked the first one on her list, and I changed the little box to read 4 ounces (or 113.33 g)

68w7pyayo8zr.png

• debrakgoogins
    debrakgoogins Posts: 2,034 Member
    Options
    Search the food data base for "Hamburger cooked" you will get a list of options.
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    edited February 2019
    Options
    Why can't you measure before it's cooked?

But search for beef, ground, 85% fat (or whatever it is), cooked. Those key words should bring up a good entry.
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,483 Member
    edited February 2019
    Options
    This should help you work with the USDA database and improve your logging accuracy.

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10621050/how-to-use-the-usda-food-database-mfp-food-database-for-accurate-logging/p1

Cheers, h.
    ETA: if you are just getting back into it, maybe give yourself a refresher by re-reading the ‘most helpful’ posts at the top of each sub-forum.
  • Jeeplet18
    Jeeplet18 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    puffbrat wrote: »
    You can also use the recipe builder. Enter the raw weight as the ingredient and the cooked weight as the number of servings. This is what I often do since I cook for my family and typically in large enough quantity for one or more nights of leftovers.

Agreed. This is a great way of doing it also.