Treadmill calories?

Options
I'm not quite sure that the calories that are being computed on MFP are what I am actually burning. When I enter them on MFP it calculates way more then I actually think I am burning. If you only did 2.5 at a 0% incline for 30 minutes it would still calculate the calories the same as if I had done them at a 3.5 and 6% incline.

Is there a better way to calculate the calories than to add them here?

Is what is being burned(shown) on the machine set for a specific pre-determined weight? If you weigh 120 or 240 the calories would be different.....I'm just looking for some insight:)

Thanks so much...you guys are awesome!!

Replies

• coltonsmumma
    coltonsmumma Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Get a heart rate monitor and ignore everything else.
  • Hello110
    Options
    I was noticing this too... I think it's just cause the incline kicks your butt so much more than if you were walking on a flat surface, y'know? It gets your metabolism going faster.
  • sneezles
    sneezles Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    On my treadmill I can enter my weight and it calculates based on that plus the pace the belt is set to. I don't use that calculation, I use the Nike+ app. I race walk so the treadmill doesn't account for my pace just the treads. My calories burned according to the Nike+ are always more than what I get on MFP which I think is just based on minutes. I suggest you find a better way to calculate your exercise
  • shmo1969
    shmo1969 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Does the treadmill not give you cal burned? When I enter in treadmill it also gives me way more that I am actually burning, I have to manually enter in what the treadmill says I burned. :)
  • T0RIEELIZABETH
    Options
    most machines are set at a certain weight, but you can go in and change it to get the right amount of calories burned. In my experience of doing that, MFP is normally right on for me.
  • Luckysusan
    Luckysusan Posts: 947 Member
    Options
    I have a Heart Rate Monitor to calculate my calories burned. Some things are close to what MFP. My treadmill shows the calories burned but it is way higher than my HRM shows.. I guess because I have the HRM programed to my age and weight it should be more accurate. I would advise anyone to get a HRM. I have a Polar FT4 and really like it.