Over-training??

Options
BoxerLover96
BoxerLover96 Posts: 82 Member
edited February 2019 in Fitness and Exercise
I'm no expert, and just started really enjoying the benefits of eating healthier and working out. My ultimate goal is to tone up my body (build a little muscle), and run a sub-30 min 5k. That being said, I'm worried I might be over-training my legs by working on either the treadmill or elliptical on a daily basis?? (Although I don't feel burnt out or overly fatigued.) Here is my typical weekly workout routine:

Sunday: Chest, Triceps (30 min) plus Treadmill Speed Intervals (30 min)
Monday: Back, Biceps (30 min) plus Elliptical (20-30 min)
Tuesday: 5k run on Treadmill
Wednesday: Shoulders (30 min) plus Elliptical (20-30 min)
Thursday: Legs (30 min) plus Treadmill Speed Intervals (30 min)
Friday: Rest (day varies)
Saturday: Rest (day varies)

Feedback?

Replies

• Running2Fit
    Running2Fit Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    Do you ever run outside? I crush my average pace time from the treadmill when I get outside. Went from an 11:30 minute pace on the treadmill to a 9:30 average pace just by getting off the treadmill.

Personally, I don’t like to do strength training on my run days. I’d start doing full body workouts twice a week after the elliptical. I also put my long run at the end of the week not the middle so I have a rest day before and after.

I also find it helpful to follow a training plan for my running. Currently doing Hal Hidgon’s novice 10K plan but there’s lots of plans out there that would help you improve your speed.
  • karlpm
    karlpm Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Have a rest/mobility day mid week. Yoga, pilates or just stretching. Will help with strength and you'll feel better.

Also agree with running outside, I go much faster, to the point where I assumed my GPS was wrong but did the times and distance and it was right.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    The elliptical is low impact, so it’s great that you are able to alternative it with running. I agree to give your legs a rest day each week.
  • Duck_Puddle
    Duck_Puddle Posts: 3,224 Member
    Options
    That’s a lot of treadmill speed work. And doing it on leg day is probably not doing a lot of favors.

What goal is the elliptical serving?

Have you considered just following a 5k training plan (like Hal Higdon)?

I think you’re doing an ok volume of work-it’s just arranged strangely.

I would make your run and weights days separate (most importantly leg day). I would ditch the elliptical in favor of more running - but not as often. I would ditch the speedwork altogether and just log running miles following an established plan-and try to run outside as much as possible (I know that’s not necessarily easy to do depending on where you live).
  • BoxerLover96
    Options
    Do you ever run outside?

Yes!! I prefer it, just not in the winter. Excited by better weather in the Spring!

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Depends on your fitness level, but exercising for an hour 5x per week is fairly common and nothing I would consider close to over-training. I was putting in a lot more work than that when I was training for a triathlon and century rides. I usually took a rest day mid week though.
  • Running2Fit
    Options
    That’s a lot of treadmill speed work. And doing it on leg day is probably not doing a lot of favors.

I would make your run and weights days separate (most importantly leg day). I would ditch the elliptical in favor of more running - but not as often. I would ditch the speedwork altogether and just log running miles following an established plan-and try to run outside as much as possible (I know that’s not necessarily easy to do depending on where you live).

Most runners do some form of cross-training and the elliptical is low impact so it’s a good choice. In fact, since you mentioned him, Hal Hidgon puts cross training in his plans. I’m doing his 10K novice plan right now and use the elliptical for the days he designated as cross training which is 2 days a week with 3 days of running - pretty much what the OP is doing.
  • BoxerLover96
    Options

I use the elliptical as a cross trainer for running.

And I will have to look into Hal Higdon as others mentioned. I’m not following a specific plan currently.
  • Running2Fit
    Options
    Do you ever run outside?

Yes!! I prefer it, just not in the winter. Excited by better weather in the Spring!

Oh I get that for sure! We got a foot of snow yesterday so I’ve been inside on the treadmill. I’m so excited for spring when I can consistently run outside.
  • BoxerLover96
    Options
    Do you ever run outside?

Oh I get that for sure! We got a foot of snow yesterday so I’ve been inside on the treadmill. I’m so excited for spring when I can consistently run outside.

Exactly!!
  • Djproulx
    Djproulx Posts: 3,084 Member
    Options

^ This is great advice. Two rest days per week is fairly typical. Following a plan would be beneficial. More easy paced miles and no speedwork as you're starting out would probably deliver better results with a lower risk of injury. Good luck!