How often do you weight yourself? I’m curious!

Options
I use to weigh in daily like it was a religion. Then recently I stopped, because I thought to myself maybe it was causing me to self-sabotage. THEN I started weighing in once week, but because I know I have a weigh in coming up, I start to get extremely obsessive about what I’m consuming. Tracking in a mentally unhealthy way. How do you guys weigh in? Maybe I should just never weigh in. Lol

Replies

• MichelleSilverleaf
    MichelleSilverleaf Posts: 2,028 Member
    Options
    Also a daily weigher. I can fluctuate between 1-2lbs so I generally don't sweat them, if it goes up higher than that I can usually pinpoint the source.
  • lthames0810
    lthames0810 Posts: 722 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself every few days but not on any fixed schedule. I know that weight fluctuates day to day based on retention of fluid and on frequently of bowl movements and probably other things as well. So, for example, if I eat a salty restaurant meal one night, I won't weigh myself the next morning.

These fluctuations don't really matter to the downward trend of your weight. I just personally don't like to see them, even when I have some notion of why they happen.

(Also, my scale is out in my garage and sometimes I just can't bring myself to stand out there undressed in the cold.)
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,648 Member
    edited February 2019
    Options
    Daily unless I forget or start on the phone (which means coffee or food) before I've had the chance to hit the bathroom.

I use trendweight for all my calculations. I look at a month of data at a time.

While I was actively losing weight I seldom forgot.

I still used trendweight for all my calculations and I still looked at a month at a time...
  • Avidkeo
    Avidkeo Posts: 3,190 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself daily, “same Bat time dame Bat channel.” You need some age on your bones to know that one.

I’m an analytical guy and like data.

I'm. Only 36 and I got the reference!

I used to obsess like you OP. I've changed to daily and tracking on a trending ap. This has changed my outlook completely! I no longer really care about the individual weights, but what the trend is. It's really helping me relax completely about my weight. Something worth trying
  • asiaholifield981
    asiaholifield981 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I don't at all just go on how I feel and how clothes fit......I don't know what's worse even obsessive or being to scared to do it at all 😅
  • Girlwithnoname77
    Girlwithnoname77 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    ceiswyn wrote: »
    Every morning, after my morning wee and before I do anything else. Two years of that has got me familiar - and mostly comfortable - with the things that cause my weight to fluctuate.

Agree. That's what I am doing at the moment, as I am back on MFP after some time away and using the mornings scales as a reminder for the day of my intent and goal. My official weight logging day is Friday morning.
  • nexangelus
    nexangelus Posts: 2,081 Member
    Options
    Daily...if weighing in daily is a trigger (eating disordered thinking) then weigh in once a week...the less obssessive the better until you have a handle on the psychological side of things...
  • kellie7850
    kellie7850 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    roughly once a week
  • ChrysalisCove
    ChrysalisCove Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    I weigh daily with a trending app that helps me keep calm regarding fluctuations. I was originally only going to weigh in weekly, but found waiting to be more stressful.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    edited February 2019
    Options
    Fluctuations are going on daily/weekly based on dietary changes, hydration, hormonal changes and exercise/muscle repair/glycogen replenishment and understanding these fluctuations would hopefully help you with your relationship with your scale. What you describe is very unhealthy.

I weigh daily, even while maintaining weight (sometimes I forget and I weigh 2-3 times a week) and I use a weight trend app to help with the fluctuations described above.
  • missysippy930
    missysippy930 Posts: 2,577 Member
    Options
    Daily. Keeps me motivated and accountable.
  • mdwarchichoke
    mdwarchichoke Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Daily as long as i am not traveling. I think it works with my "I have to fill this data in" mind, but I d not worry about the actual number itself. More of a what is my body doing based on what I ate and the activity I have been doing.
  • sdewey415
    sdewey415 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I weigh daily, with a few forgotten here amd there. I like to see my daily fluctuations. The day that I look at for progress is Wednesday.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    Morning house. Morning cat. Morning scale.
  • zeejane03
    zeejane03 Posts: 993 Member
    Options
    Every morning, going on 7 years now.
  • amfmmama
    amfmmama Posts: 1,420 Member
    Options
    Every morning.

I used to only weigh once a week...old weight watchers habit. I was worried that daily weigh-ins would make me obsessive. Last year, I joined a 10 day challenge "Just give me 10 Days" (they are on the 67th one now) and you weigh in, with comments every day. It really helped me, and I almost always lost something by the end of the 10 days, sometimes 3 pounds, sometimes 3 ounces. It helped me see patterns, but it also helped me see that one bad night, was not the death of me, or that there will be times I follow everything to the letter, and my body is still not ready to give it up! I stopped weighing daily last summer, eventually stopped getting on the scale at all, and gained weight.
  • lilithsrose
    lilithsrose Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself randomly throughout the week, but I only record my weight on Friday mornings.
  • kayjeh93
    kayjeh93 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I track daily on weekdays. I don't track weekends cuz the boyfriend doesn't have a scale. But I do it to see the trend. I don't fret when I see it go up a little. It always comes back down.