Planning 10 Year Wedding Anniv. -Where in the world to go? Suggestions?

2»

Replies

• nooshi713
    nooshi713 Posts: 4,877 Member
    Greece or Costa Rica. If you really like excursions then dont do all inclusive. If you want to stay at the resort most of the time, then all inclusive might be worth it.
  • Motorsheen
    Motorsheen Posts: 20,492 Member
    no brainer....

10 year anniversary ?

Paris.
  • Sew3rin
    Sew3rin Posts: 115 Member
    Hawaii is beautiful. 🌺
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    I'm personally not big on all inclusive resorts when I'm traveling. Most people I know who do them, never really leave the resort so they never actually experience the culture and people of that country. I've never understood the concept of traveling to another country only to stay in a commercial resort that could basically be anywhere beach side in the U.S. except maybe the waiters have a cool accent or something.

That said, my wife and I are pretty into adventure travel and mingling with the locals and immersing ourselves into the culture as much as we can. My wife is very well traveled and I've done a fair amount myself, so it's not something that is scary for us, but I know some people who just don't feel comfortable. We still stay in some pretty nice places, we just like to get out into the community...especially for the food.

Some of our favorites have been Colombia (Medellin and Cartagena)...Medellin was a wonderful and absolutely beautiful city, Cartagena was a bit hot for my liking...actually, it was pretty much hell on earth and the only beach destination I've ever been ready to leave...though the old city is something pretty awesome. We honeymooned in Roatan, Honduras...amazing scuba diving. Previously when dating we went to Utila, Honduras as well as San Ignacio and Caye Caulker Belize.

• Travel off peak for best results. June is tourist season in Europe. Maybe find a place in the Southern hemisphere that appeals to you, or explore the USA.
  • GuyanaGold21
    GuyanaGold21 Posts: 50 Member
    edited February 2019
    Vancouver and Vancouver Island, British Columbia are beautiful in June. It could be as adventurous or all-inclusive as you want. We enjoy the kayaking, hiking, whale watching, etc.
  • thepainmaker88
    thepainmaker88 Posts: 365 Member
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    I'm personally not big on all inclusive resorts when I'm traveling. Most people I know who do them, never really leave the resort so they never actually experience the culture and people of that country. I've never understood the concept of traveling to another country only to stay in a commercial resort that could basically be anywhere beach side in the U.S. except maybe the waiters have a cool accent or something.

That said, my wife and I are pretty into adventure travel and mingling with the locals and immersing ourselves into the culture as much as we can. My wife is very well traveled and I've done a fair amount myself, so it's not something that is scary for us, but I know some people who just don't feel comfortable. We still stay in some pretty nice places, we just like to get out into the community...especially for the food.

Some of our favorites have been Colombia (Medellin and Cartagena)...Medellin was a wonderful and absolutely beautiful city, Cartagena was a bit hot for my liking...actually, it was pretty much hell on earth and the only beach destination I've ever been ready to leave...though the old city is something pretty awesome. We honeymooned in Roatan, Honduras...amazing scuba diving. Previously when dating we went to Utila, Honduras as well as San Ignacio and Caye Caulker Belize.

Some people would rather just keep cozy in a nice resort and keep it simple...especially people that don’t really like people... like me and my wife lol
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
  • AmyC2288
    AmyC2288 Posts: 386 Member
    Thank you everyone! I appreciate all the suggestions!!
  • fishgutzy
    fishgutzy Posts: 2,807 Member
    Arizona. Grand Canyon. Then up to Bryce Canyon in Utah.
    Forget the tropical Island thing.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    For me it either would be Venice, Italy or Santorini, Greece :smile:
  • MarylandRose
    MarylandRose Posts: 239 Member
    We honeymooned in Italy last May. LOTS of walking around Rome - did tours of the Colosseum etc, and loved it. We never wished we had a car, and our travel agent booked us black car transfers to/from their airports, so that was painless. We booked day trips to the coast (Portofino) and Pompeii, and took the train to Florence for the second half of the trip (super easy and a beautiful ride), and got in lots more walking, museums, and good food there. We also did a tour of wine country because we love sampling local wine at home. We did a train day trip to Cinque Terre, but I have friends who honeymooned just there and hiked between the various towns that make up that part of the coast. It's apparently a lovely series of hikes. And the seafood is out of this world.
    Our travel agent made it so painless, and set us up in hotels we otherwise would not have been able to afford. In turn, those hotels recommended AMAZING places to eat. And there were no fees, so I can now highly recommend using an agent for large-scale, important trips like this.
  • AmyC2288
    AmyC2288 Posts: 386 Member
    We honeymooned in Italy last May. LOTS of walking around Rome - did tours of the Colosseum etc, and loved it. We never wished we had a car, and our travel agent booked us black car transfers to/from their airports, so that was painless. We booked day trips to the coast (Portofino) and Pompeii, and took the train to Florence for the second half of the trip (super easy and a beautiful ride), and got in lots more walking, museums, and good food there. We also did a tour of wine country because we love sampling local wine at home. We did a train day trip to Cinque Terre, but I have friends who honeymooned just there and hiked between the various towns that make up that part of the coast. It's apparently a lovely series of hikes. And the seafood is out of this world.
    Our travel agent made it so painless, and set us up in hotels we otherwise would not have been able to afford. In turn, those hotels recommended AMAZING places to eat. And there were no fees, so I can now highly recommend using an agent for large-scale, important trips like this.

That sounds like an AMAZING trip! We have actually found and starting working with a travel agent so I hope ours will be as good as yours was! We have already determined Italy doesn't fit easily into our budget- but maybe for 15 or 20 year Anniversary? :smiley: