How often do you weight yourself? I’m curious!

Options

Replies

• RelCanonical
    RelCanonical Posts: 3,882 Member
    Options
    Fivepts wrote: »
    If I weigh and I haven't lost, I have a huge temptation to throw in the towel. So, I try to weigh once every two weeks. Even then if I hit it on a bad day then it can be detrimental for me mentally. I also have a stack of jeans in a range of sizes (that I used to be) that I try on once a month. Even if the next size down is tight and I can't wear them and breathe, I am still encouraged to be able to get them on.

This is me too. For some reason, I would get really discouraged when I weighed once a week and didn't lose. BUT, if I weigh once a month and lost two pounds in a month (even though my rate of loss should have been four) I'm like "woo, lost weight!". Brains are weird sometimes.
  • CharlieCharlie007
    CharlieCharlie007 Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    I used to weight daily, until my cat pissed on the scale, and killed it. Now I weigh myself every six weeks at dietitians. But I am more into measurements. Skin fold and tape measure. I believe that is the true measure of my progress.
  • brenn24179
    brenn24179 Posts: 2,144 Member
    Options
    daily, last year it was once a month and then I gained 25 lbs, learned my lesson, everyone is different though
  • CheekyChiq88
    CheekyChiq88 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    i weigh myself on the 1st of the month and the 15th...so i guess every twoish weeks. I get too obsessive if i weigh myself once a day or even once a week. This is a new strategy for myself but so far successful i lost 18 lbs in january!
  • Housegoat
    Housegoat Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    once a week.. Monday mornings
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Options
    couple times per week, usually towards the end of the week.
  • empressjasmin
    empressjasmin Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    Daily weigher, but it is not always the best for me. I often focus too much on weight alone which is not good for my mental. I try to do every few days in no specific pattern.
  • zeejane03
    zeejane03 Posts: 993 Member
    edited February 2019
    Options
    I used to weight daily, until my cat pissed on the scale, and killed it. Now I weigh myself every six weeks at dietitians. But I am more into measurements. Skin fold and tape measure. I believe that is the true measure of my progress.

My cat used to sleep on my scale and kept draining the darn battery :/ Drove me nuts!
  • Bry_Fitness70
    Bry_Fitness70 Posts: 2,480 Member
    Options
    5-6 days per week. I have a scale that automatically dumps the data into other apps (including MFP), so there is no manual effort in recording it. I am in sustainment, so why weigh myself so often? Because I am a fitness data addict, lol.
  • guil0095
    guil0095 Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    It's so hard not to weigh in. I weigh in daily when I wake up out of habbit. If I know I am going to have a cheat weekend, I usually skip weighing in on the weekends.
  • dbanks80
    dbanks80 Posts: 3,685 Member
    Options
    I lift weights and I go by how I look and not the number on the scale. I might check it once a month maybe.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    daily. more data points to see trends
  • sheloves89
    sheloves89 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Every morning. =) It helps keep me comfortable with (sometimes bizarre) weight fluctuations.
  • BeGrandLike
    BeGrandLike Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    Most mornings.

Wake up, stumble to the bathroom, wee, weigh myself and record the number, brush my teeth, and then zombie my way downstairs in search of coffee.

I do get a bit of a kick out of predicting which way the numbers will have gone, depending on alllll the factors that go into water retention every day. I kinda think it's fun to be able to think "hmmm so I feel thirsty right now so maybe lower... but also I lifted heavy yesterday and my butt is aching a bit so that's definitely retaining water... And I did have a bunch of salty food last night to maybe higher...".

I find playing that game with myself (on the mornings when I've enough brain power to string two thoughts together..) helps me to see fluctuations not in terms of fat loss/gain, but about water. And sometimes- like say, if I've killed it at with the barbells the evening before- a bit of water gain is a sign that my body's busy building some sweet sweet muscles. Which, like: awesome.
  • Fitforevermore
    Fitforevermore Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    I weigh on Saturday mornings so that I don't get panicked by any weekend damage on the scales, I tend to sabotage if I see big numbers!
  • TonyB0588
    TonyB0588 Posts: 9,520 Member
    Options
    JustEdie1 wrote: »
    I use to weigh in daily like it was a religion. Then recently I stopped, because I thought to myself maybe it was causing me to self-sabotage. THEN I started weighing in once week, but because I know I have a weigh in coming up, I start to get extremely obsessive about what I’m consuming. Tracking in a mentally unhealthy way. How do you guys weigh in? Maybe I should just never weigh in. Lol

I weigh everyday. Wake up, undress, get on the scale.
  • choppie70
    choppie70 Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    I weigh daily - right after I use the bathroom in the morning. I like the information that it gives me and I have learned a lot about my body by doing it. I used to be frustrated by the scale, but I learned to use it as a tool to my weight loss, just like my food scale.
  • brittlb07
    brittlb07 Posts: 313 Member
    edited February 2019
    Options
    Once in the morning and once at night. Religiously. This has helped me see trends throughout the day based on what I eat. If I start to get discouraged when weight loss slows I’ll back down.

I should add I use trending apps so that I don’t get discouraged if it’s up.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options
    Daily weigh ins are for me. I find that when I weigh less often, I start to worry about it more and allow the numbers to mess with my mind. Even after a particularly heavy eating/sodium filled day, I would rather know the number exactly and move on. It motivates me for sure. I've been maintaining a big (over 100 lb) loss for 5 years and find that the times I've slacked off on daily weigh-ins are the times when I have put on a few pounds.
  • wendsg
    wendsg Posts: 660 Member
    Options
    Every morning. Much as many others, stagger into the bathroom, relieve myself, strip and step on. Plunk said number into MFP, move on with life, once a week (usually Sunday) pull the weight report so I can view the total trend. :) I <3 numbers and analysis, and have learned not to obsess about day-to-day changes.