Avoid being skinny fat

Options
What foods should I generally not consume in order to avoid being skinny fat? What foods should i consume?
Thanks in advance for your responses :)

definition of skinny fat:

1. When someone is thin and looks great in clothes, but is all flabby underneath
2. Thin, but with high body fat.

(taken from urban dictionary)

Replies

• kysue1029
    kysue1029 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Am I missing something? What is skinny fat?
  • CoraGregoryCPA
    CoraGregoryCPA Posts: 1,087 Member
    Options
    Am I missing something? What is skinny fat?

I agree with this.
  • jenny95662
    jenny95662 Posts: 997 Member
    Options
    yea hmmm no idea what u mean
  • amccrazgrl
    amccrazgrl Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    Skinny fat is when you are skinny and have no muscle.
  • maidentl
    maidentl Posts: 3,203 Member
    Options
    I think skinny fat is what happens when you lose weight without exercise, no muscle tone or definition.
  • ambermichon
    ambermichon Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    that look where you are thin but flabby. I think this has more to do with exercise than diet. The diet will help you lose the lbs and exercise will help you tone and define and create muscle definition so you dont have skin hanging off of bone.
  • ambermichon
    ambermichon Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    Of course exercise helps with the weight loss too :-)
  • JCR1984
    JCR1984 Posts: 4
    Options
    Alcohol. That was the only time I have ever heard the reference skinny fat used, besides this post. Hope this helps!
  • hush7hush
    hush7hush Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    Lift weights!
  • Larius
    Larius Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    Protein foods. Exercise will also help.
  • taso42_DELETED
    taso42_DELETED Posts: 3,394 Member
    Options
    DO strength training workouts.
    DO hit your calorie and macronutrient targets
    DON'T chronically undereat

that is all. there aren't specific foods to eat or avoid to help you here.
  • lallaloolly
    lallaloolly Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    skinny fat tends to be someone who, judged solely by the scale, would appear to be in a healthy weight range, but has little to no muscle tone, high BMI for their weight, etc.

instead of just focusing on foods to avoid being skinny fat, try also focusing on exercise. if you use your body, you will burn fat, build muscle, and improve your heart rate, etc.
  • sufikitkat
    sufikitkat Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    I've heard skinny fat in reference to someone that appears thin and healthy, but actually is very unhealthy due to their exercise or eating habits. I say...eat what you like but in moderation and exercise!!
  • kerrylou150
    Options
    I thought skinny fat was when you are thin but still have a layer of fat around your internal organs... that is why people can be thin as a rail but still have very bad cholesterol and such.

is that why you are asking about foods to avoid?
  • Kalrez
    Kalrez Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    How to not end up skinny fat:

Strength training.

Build some muscle. You won't bulk up without trying really hard, so don't worry about that.
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    From what I've read the key is strength training and lots of protein (1 gram for every pound of lean body mass). This is what I'm trying.

Last time I got to my goal I wasn't all that happy with the results. I had fat thighs and my upper body was too skinny. My weight loss was primarily accomplished with diet and little exercise.
  • Lyadeia
    Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
    Options
    I think skinny fat is what happens when you lose weight without exercise, no muscle tone or definition.

Not 100% true.

I am skinny fat. I wear size 8, sometimes a size 6, yet have body fat percentage of around 30%. And I exercise 4-5 times a week. I lost size with exercise and a moderate diet, but I was truly skinny fat. I didn't start losing body fat until I cut the crap out of my diet. "Everything in moderation" works for a lot of people, but my "moderation" means "less than you." Endomorphic body types like myself have to really dial into the diet AND workout a bunch to avoid being skinny fat.
  • Janelle31
    Janelle31 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    There is an article here that gives a lot of really good information about "skinny-fat".
    You will need to copy and paste the link, because for some reason the hyperlink doesn't want to work.
    http://www.crossfitsouthbay.com/2011/05/skinny-fat
  • hellokitty432
    Options
    that is the same problem I'm having as well. i just read an article and this is what it said:

Solution to get the slim, fit and feminine physique #1 – A diet composed of protein and vegetables
    You need a calorie deficit to lose fat. And you can be pretty aggressive in your reduction as long as you adhere to these guidelines. Up your protein intake. This will give the muscle the building blocks they need and preserve loss of valuable muscle mass – even when calories are low. Fill up the remainder of your diet with vegetables to keep you satiated and provide the body with essential nutrients and fibers. Supercharge your diet with healthy omega 3 fatty acids and you have a solid diet plan in place.

so pretty much what you said. :)

(taken from: http://fortiusfitness.com/blog/skinny-fat-vs-feminine-physique/)
  • 27strange
    27strange Posts: 837 Member
    Options
    You need to pick up heavy stuff and put it down. Period. Weight train. And consume more protein. A great book for anyone looking to get into strength training is "The New Rules of Weight Lifting" and there is a women's version "New Rules of Weight Lifting for Women". Lots of basic movements and great advice in this book.