Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Whey protein / supplement dangers?

JustinAnimal
JustinAnimal Posts: 1,335 Member
I'm looking for responses from experts. I'm sorry that I did not take the time to research this myself. I am with co-workers and we're trying to work through an issue.

We know of a someone who works with young adults and coaches them in weight lifting. That person generally gives their young adults creatine, whey protein, and I'm not sure what else in the way of supplements (I believe this person has given them pre-workout supplements, which always reminded me of being on crack and I quit taking after the first time).

First question: is this dangerous? I've heard of whey protein and other supplements taxing your liver or kidneys, and that this might not be a good idea for people, let's say, ranging from 12 to 18 years old.

Second question: could that be even more dangerous (or simply dangerous to begin with) if these young adults are either underfed, undernourished, or both. Could going in with an empty stomach, or stomach full of non-nutritive foods (not debating clean or not, but lots of sugary stuff in their bellies instead of complex carbs or high-protein foods [in non-supplement form])?

Thanks for the patience and my ignorance. Thanks for any potential responses. Trying to help young people, not be horribly obnoxious. I hope I didn't post this in the wrong forum.

Replies

• Phirrgus
    Phirrgus Posts: 1,894 Member
    As young as 12? I stopped taking a pre-workout sup after a weeks time. I felt absolutely manic after taking it and can't imagine pre/early teens being given anything that might cause the same.

I'll bow out here as others have far more knowledge than I, but would just say I would personally call someone's attention to that.
  • steveko89
    steveko89 Posts: 2,214 Member
    Per a quick google, creatine and preworkout are not recommended for anyone under 18; creatine says on the label and the general consensus seems to be that the level of stimulants in preworkout isn't great.

Whey is ok as long as it's necessary. If these kids are getting a balanced diet it's just bro-science that they need whey for some sick gainz. In all actuality, if they don't have a balanced diet and/or aren't getting sufficient protein from other food, it may actually be good for them.
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Dangerous? Likely no, but there is no objective evidence available to decide either way as no one will authorize testing on this population as they cannot enter into a legal agreement.

I'll default to my standard statement - if it is regulated as a "supplement", this means that there is no objective evidence to support that the product has any impact and holds minimal risk to the public.
  • aokoye
    aokoye Posts: 3,495 Member
    I don't think anyone has brought this up, but why does the coach feel that this is necessary?
  • watts6151
    watts6151 Posts: 887 Member
    My girls have been taking whey
    Protein since they were 2 years old,
    Absolutely not issues what so ever 😂
  • jls1leather9497
    jls1leather9497 Posts: 90 Member
    I eat cottage cheese near daily. Good source of whey protein. Yogurt for the casein.
    If all the kids ate getting is proteins, I wouldnt worry about it. Other additives may be an issue.
  • ExistingFish
    ExistingFish Posts: 1,259 Member
    The whey protein should be fine. My whey has supplement guidelines for all ages from toddler to elderly (1/2 scoop for toddlers, etc) including pregnant/breastfeeding women. I occasionally toss a scoop in their smoothies if it will be a meal replacement smoothie. They regularly consume large quantities of Greek-style yogurt (because they love it), which has plenty of protein.

There are non-stimulant based pre-workouts. Need more information. I'm assuming this coach either has parental involvement or some kind of signed consent form.
  • JustinAnimal
    JustinAnimal Posts: 1,335 Member
    I think it's more the pre-workout that had me concerned, although I thought I had read general concerns about the kidneys' ability to process any and all of it... of course, could be woo.

As for the why-is-coach-giving-away-expensive-supplements sentiment, I believe it's just getting the kids pumped about gym culture and lifting. This person is a P.E. teacher at a high school, but pretty much just does lifting with them.
  • Diatonic12
    Diatonic12 Posts: 32,344 Member
    The P.E. teacher should not be dispensing any kind of supplements in the form of foods or pills. None.

Some People May Be Allergic to Whey Protein
    Symptoms of allergy may include hives, rashes, facial swelling, throat and tongue swelling and a runny or stuffy nose. In some cases, whey allergy may trigger anaphylaxis, a severe, life-threatening allergic reaction.

The parents need to pay the school a visit or call the Superintendent.
  • TonyRyad
    TonyRyad Posts: 6 Member
    Whey protein is made out of milk, is milk dangerous ?
  • I'm seriously skeptical he's giving away that stuff all the time to everyone. A 30 serving tub of pre-workout is 30 bucks, and it's really 10-15 servings for anyone with a caffeine tolerance
  • CipherZero
    CipherZero Posts: 1,418 Member
    Whey is food. No worries there.

Creatine is safe unless you’ve got kidney disease, however it needs to be taken 5g a day, every day - as a preworkout or lifting days only its fairly useless.

Preworkout supplements are a concern simply because you’ve no idea what he’s actually giving the students.
  • JoeCannonMS
    JoeCannonMS Posts: 1 Member
    If by young adult you mean teenagers, then there's no need for them to use creatine or protein supplements. As teenagers, they already have what no supplement will give them - youth. No supplement can match that. Generally, neither creatine or protein powders/drinks will hurt them if they are healthy.

One thing Id point out to the coach and the kids is to remember creatine only makes the muscles more powerful. it doesn't improve the strength/power of ligaments or tendons. Because of this there is a slight chance of injuries with creatine use. Its rare but I have met those who its happened to.

Bottom line. For young adults, just eat and exercise and let nature take care of the rest. Heres a review on creatine and kids if it helps: Do Kids Need Creatine?
  • Khartman6
    Khartman6 Posts: 31 Member
    Creatine can become dangerous if you have kidney problems or dont drink adequate amounts of water while on it.
  • Khartman6
    Khartman6 Posts: 31 Member
    I would love to know who disagreed with my statement. Do some research.