What is a goal weight for 5'5-Female?

Options
The lowest I've ever been was 140-160 pounds and I was doing sports every semester. However, BMI says, "97-145 Pounds." Which, made me always think I was overweight or fat. (Now that I think of it, I don't think I was overweight. Although, my weight now, I'm definitely obese!)

Replies

• dewit
    dewit Posts: 1,468 Member
    Options
    Reading your profile, take it 10lbs at a time. 20lbs, if you wish. As you progress, adjust your goal. As long as you go down (and might have bad days, don't freak out), you are working on it and go in the right direction, heads up! Once the first digit of your weight changes, you can set the ideal weight as a goal.
    Keep us posted! Join challenges! Stay tuned and believe in yourself! You are worth it and are able to do it!
  • KTaurusW0516
    KTaurusW0516 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    dewit wrote: »
    Reading your profile, take it 10lbs at a time. 20lbs, if you wish. As you progress, adjust your goal. As long as you go down (and might have bad days, don't freak out), you are working on it and go in the right direction, heads up! Once the first digit of your weight changes, you can set the ideal weight as a goal.
    Keep us posted! Join challenges! Stay tuned and believe in yourself! You are worth it and are able to do it!

I'll definitely start doing that. Thank you! :smiley:
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options
    I would just take it a few lbs at a time and stop when you are happy with your composition.
    I’m half an inch shorter than you and 138 in my profile pic (have been as low as 120lbs). I actually weigh about the same now as I did when I was 19, but due to body composition changes I am smaller than I was then (size 9 at 19 and in between size 4 & 6 now).
  • MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'5, I got to 135 and maintained, took a couple more pounds off and I hover around 132-133 now if I can. It's just that tiny bit leaner looking on me, quite a difference for the sake of about 3 lbs.
  • zeejane03
    zeejane03 Posts: 993 Member
    Options
    My opinion is that once you're within the Healthy BMI range then what comes next is based on how you look and feel. For me personally, my glucose number is more stabilized at a lower weight so I hover in the 21-22 BMI range.

You may be happy at the higher end of the range, or want to lose a few more pounds to get to the middle/lower end. Just see how it goes when you get there and play around with the numbers a bit :)
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,419 Member
    Options
    For most people, something somewhere in the healthy BMI range is fine . . . though possibly not everything in the healthy BMI range is equally fine.

Build matters: Very muscular, or not. Widely-spaced pelvic bones, or not. Lots of breast tissue, or not. Etc.

Within the range that would be healthy for you, your personal preference also matters. (In my world, my doctor and I have relevant opinions about my weight. No one else does.)

And it really is more like 112-149 for 5'5".

I'm 5'5", too. Currently, I'm around 135, which is OK but a little squishy for my individual body, which has narrow ("boyish") hips and zero breasts (post-mastectomies). Low 120s is better, for me. Friends of similar height but different build are better at higher weights.

If you don't struggle with a seriously distorted body image, it's likely that you'll recognize a good weight when you get there. If you're not sure, discuss it with your doctor.

And remember, it's not necessarily a permanent decision. You could go to 140 (or whatever), hang out there for a couple of years, then decide to lose more, or gain a bit.

Best wishes!
  • collectingblues
    collectingblues Posts: 2,541 Member
    Options
    Where did you see the 97 pounds? That's incredibly underweight for someone at 5'5" -- a BMI of 16.1.
  • JBanx256
    JBanx256 Posts: 1,477 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'5" and currently around 148. With my muscle mass and frame, if I got to 112 I'd more than likely have to be hospitalized (not that I'd actually be able to have my muscle mass at that point, but you get the gist of what I'm saying).
  • dashagrr
    dashagrr Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I am 5'5.5. I look and feel good at 130 lb, "okay" at 140lb. Currently about 150lb, trying to get to 130lb. But, like others have said, it really depends on your build and muscle mass.
  • DoingTheImpossible
    Options
    JBanx256, I think has the right idea. I think it greatly depends on the person and how you are build. I am like you, I am obese at the moment but the medical chart says I am supposed to be much smaller than my body would feel comfortable being. I am big chested and always have been, larger framed, broader shoulders, and naturally wider hipped. At my goal weight I was lifting weights and rowing consistently. Therefore, muscle mass being denser and weighing more than fat, my weight stayed in the low 150's to the high 140's, with a slight fluctuation one week out of the month. I was in a size six at 150lbs and that was very comfortable for me.

Like you, now that I have all this extra weight and finding myself in a position to have to find a target comfortable weight. I am shooting for a weight I felt comfortable with in the past and not so much what a chart says I should be. If you need friends for accountability and motivation though, as I do, please feel free to add me. Good Luck.
  • ridiculous59
    ridiculous59 Posts: 2,854 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'5" and in my early 20's weighed 132 and felt great. I was a bit of a cardio bunny at the time and ran, swam, hiked, biked, or skiied just about every day. Then I got pregnant with my first of three kids and have never seen 132 since lol. I was able to lose 90 pounds and got down to 142. I've being doing more strength training the past couple of years, along with running or some other cardio, and feel good at 142-145. I think I'd look too thin at 132 so not worried about getting back there. Don't concern yourself too much about exact numbers. Set yourself a goal so that you have something to reach for, but don't be afraid to change it as you get closer.
  • BarbellCowgirl
    BarbellCowgirl Posts: 1,271 Member
    Options
    Like others have said, it all depends on your personal preference and how much muscle(or lack of muscle) you have on your body. I felt good in the 150s and started seeing some abs in the 140s. But I was doing a ton of strength training very careful with my macros.
  • nbrady001
    nbrady001 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I am 5'5 half the time people measure me. 5'4 sometimes. I have been 108 and athletic, it was too thin. 110 to 112 was perfect and I lifted weights. Also my doc says I have a small frame so 112 is different for me than someone else.
  • cfredz
    cfredz Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    120-125lb is my goal (currently 126-128)
  • nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    Options
    Another rule of thumb, outside of BMI, is 100# at 5 feet, and add 5# for every inch over. So 125 for you.
  • lingreg2198
    lingreg2198 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I’m 5 foot 5 and 114 is my goal. Currently 118
  • Amerane
    Amerane Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    5'5" and at my lowest I was 135 (super fit, but little to no muscle mass), my highest was/is 160, and the weight I was for most of my adult life was 140-145. My goal weight is currently 140-145 since I'm working on building way more muscle than I've ever had in my life. I might go lower once I get there, but we'll see.