Keto vs calorie counting

Replies

• estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    How can you say that? Dragons are lumped under "people" when they aren't even humanoid! :wink:
  • magnusthenerd
    magnusthenerd Posts: 1,207 Member
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    39flavours wrote: »
    That's interesting, so at some point your body says 'no, that's about all the body fat % I'm willing to spare today, time to start consuming muscles' I wonder what the evolutionary logic is behind that.

Without actual biology/physiology expertise in any way ( ;) ), I suspect it's more about the chemistry - that your physical system is only capable of biologically converting X amount of fat per pound of fat per day into energy, so when it exceeds that, it goes shopping for other energy sources in the body.

As far as "evolutionary logic" . . . at some level of intake, humans starve, and natural selection seems perfectly willing to let them. Physics won't let you keep running on empty, so how your body adapts is shaped by natural selection, not logic.

Pure speculation, though.
    moe0303 wrote: »
    Just curious, if we as humans are only able to metabolize a certain amount of fat per day, as stated above, then how come obese people can lose fat at a higher rate than those with less body fat?

Edited to change the word weight to fat

Good question. Maybe the limit the limit is based on the amount of fat in the body (Just guessing). I'd be interested in seeing studies about this.

I can't find a cite quickly right now, but IMU the estimate is that we can burn roughly X amount of calories per pound of fat per day, and that that value (X) was inferred (by experts) via calculation, not experimentation. If memory serves (something mine rarely does ;) ), the value of X is argued about, but is estimated to be in the 20s or at most 30s of calories per pound of fat.

The "maximum loss of 1% of body weight a week" is on the conservative side, because (1) it's a rule of thumb and one size doesn't actually fit all, and (2) losing too slowly is frustrating, but losing too fast is dangerous and unhealthy.
    The study that put it around 31 calories / pound has generally been discounted. In particular, I think it limits itself to fat oxidation from non-exercise activity.

At least part of what happens in the biology is that the body will need to preserve a certain amounts of fats and proteins for particular metabolic activities that only they can do - certain hormones need a fatty acid as their base, cell walls require lipids, and a lot of structure can only be made out of specific amino acid sequences. Animals that balanced those levels better than others via feedback systems during times of starvation would probably have tended to die less from starvation.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    That's interesting, so at some point your body says 'no, that's about all the body fat % I'm willing to spare today, time to start consuming muscles' I wonder what the evolutionary logic is behind that.

Without actual biology/physiology expertise in any way ( ;) ), I suspect it's more about the chemistry - that your physical system is only capable of biologically converting X amount of fat per pound of fat per day into energy, so when it exceeds that, it goes shopping for other energy sources in the body.

As far as "evolutionary logic" . . . at some level of intake, humans starve, and natural selection seems perfectly willing to let them. Physics won't let you keep running on empty, so how your body adapts is shaped by natural selection, not logic.

Pure speculation, though.
    moe0303 wrote: »
    Just curious, if we as humans are only able to metabolize a certain amount of fat per day, as stated above, then how come obese people can lose fat at a higher rate than those with less body fat?

Edited to change the word weight to fat

Good question. Maybe the limit the limit is based on the amount of fat in the body (Just guessing). I'd be interested in seeing studies about this.

I can't find a cite quickly right now, but IMU the estimate is that we can burn roughly X amount of calories per pound of fat per day, and that that value (X) was inferred (by experts) via calculation, not experimentation. If memory serves (something mine rarely does ;) ), the value of X is argued about, but is estimated to be in the 20s or at most 30s of calories per pound of fat.

The "maximum loss of 1% of body weight a week" is on the conservative side, because (1) it's a rule of thumb and one size doesn't actually fit all, and (2) losing too slowly is frustrating, but losing too fast is dangerous and unhealthy.
    The study that put it around 31 calories / pound has generally been discounted. In particular, I think it limits itself to fat oxidation from non-exercise activity.

At least part of what happens in the biology is that the body will need to preserve a certain amounts of fats and proteins for particular metabolic activities that only they can do - certain hormones need a fatty acid as their base, cell walls require lipids, and a lot of structure can only be made out of specific amino acid sequences. Animals that balanced those levels better than others via feedback systems during times of starvation would probably have tended to die less from starvation.

That's interesting! I never would have thought of that, but it makes sense :drinker:
  • leiflung
    leiflung Posts: 83 Member
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    m7fehgv412lf.png

Best. Venn. Diagram. EVER.

I'm sorry but that Venn diagram implies that people losing weight by counting carbs represent a subset of people losing limbs. That's a terrible Venn diagram.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    jondy2017 wrote: »
    I know many say both keto and calorie counting are one in the same, as someone will lose weight due to having a calorie deficit. The first month on keto people lose a large amout of water weight, but I'm seeing people each month lose 10-20 pounds a month vs calorie counting people are barely loosing 4-8 pounds a month. So wouldn't keto be a better weight loss option?

I actually have never heard a single person say keto and calorie counting are one and the same. That's because calorie counting and calorie deficit are not synonymous.

You can lose weight on keto without counting calories.
    You can lose weight on any diet without counting calories.
    You cannot lose weight on keto without being in a calorie deficit.
    You cannot lose weight on any diet without being in a calorie deficit.

As others have said, losing 10-20 lbs/ month is not appropriate or desirable for most people.
    Even losing 8 lbs in a month is not appropriate for everyone.
    If you have less than 50 lbs to lose - a rate of loss of 1 lb/week is what you should be aiming for.
  • magnusthenerd
    magnusthenerd Posts: 1,207 Member
    leiflung wrote: »
    m7fehgv412lf.png

I'm sorry but that Venn diagram implies that people losing weight by counting carbs represent a subset of people losing limbs. That's a terrible Venn diagram.
    Well, technically, if you are losing fat, your limbs should be losing fat too, just not all of the limb. B)
    Yes, an ellipse around limbs would clarify, but there's also the label "People losing weight" crossing both boundaries that is supposed to be the label for the largest circle.
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    m7fehgv412lf.png

Well, technically, if you are losing fat, your limbs should be losing fat too, just not all of the limb. B)
    Yes, an ellipse around limbs would clarify, but there's also the label "People losing weight" crossing both boundaries that is supposed to be the label for the largest circle.

No, the circle of people losing weight by counting calorie is entirely inside the circle for people losing limbs. That means that the only people losing weight by counting calories are people losing limbs.

Or is that not applied to any circle? It's just words hanging in the air?

In that case, circle around "people losing limbs" wouldn't clarify, it is the only way to make this a functional Venn diagram. But you still need that circle to overlap the carb and calorie counting because that happens. Some amputees count carbs, I'm sure of it.

As it is, as a Venn diagram, this thing is a HOT MESS.

Thank you! I can see enough of the intention to appreciate the joke, but someone doesn't understand how Venn diagrams work.

1) presumably all people losing limbs lose weight whether or not they eat at a deficit
    2) it's possible to lose weight without losing a limb
    3) some people who count calories and carbs fail to lose weight or to be in a deficit