Is it ok to eat less than 1000 cals per day?

Options

Replies

• FitFamilyGuy
    FitFamilyGuy Posts: 73 Member
    edited February 2019
    Options
    Im a female 5”2”
    Mostly sit at the office all day.
    I barely do any exercises

Since i joined this app, i started taking calories less than 1000 /per day in order to loose weight. (Mostly 800-950 cal)

I actually feel ok and i don’t feel starving
    My food for breakfast just mostly whole wheat grains bread , fresh fruits and vegetables

Anyone doing this too? What had been your experience so far?

Your on the right track to be tracking your calories. Such a huge calorie deficit may not be a best idea and you may want to explore how activity can benefit you.

I am a BIG believer in building yourself up to burn fat and get healthy. Deprivation, not fueling your body, not using your body... tough go. This very thing is explained well in this detailed video https://www.4fitnessrules.com/articles/beware-diets-that-hype-fast-weight-loss/ or a condensed article is below the video itself.

I'm not a young guy or a big guy but I keep 175 lbs and lean with 2700 calories of yummy food! If only more people understood the power of getting fit, healthy and lean over deprivation and suffering.
  • asiaholifield981
    asiaholifield981 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Both of these are meet each day for myself
  • Zodikosis
    Zodikosis Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    It's not a good idea long-term. Maybe if you are actually very overweight and it's only for a month or so, and you're being supervised by a doctor, but otherwise it's a bad idea. I'm 5'1" with a desk job and on my inactive days I break even at 1600 calories. At 1200 calories I lost 30 lbs without having to add any exercise. There are risks to undereating long-term, mostly to your heart,as well as other bodily systems.
  • whatalazyidiot
    whatalazyidiot Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    Zodikosis wrote: »
    It's not a good idea long-term. Maybe if you are actually very overweight and it's only for a month or so, and you're being supervised by a doctor, but otherwise it's a bad idea. I'm 5'1" with a desk job and on my inactive days I break even at 1600 calories. At 1200 calories I lost 30 lbs without having to add any exercise. There are risks to undereating long-term, mostly to your heart,as well as other bodily systems.

I don't even understand why some doctors approve it. I had a family member on that stupid 500 calorie a day thing (supervised by a doctor), and I just couldn't wrap my head around it. Yeah, she lost weight fast. But then she gains it back, then does it again, gains it back, rinse and repeat. It boggles the mind.
  • MichelleSilverleaf
    MichelleSilverleaf Posts: 2,028 Member
    Options

I don't even understand why some doctors approve it. I had a family member on that stupid 500 calorie a day thing (supervised by a doctor), and I just couldn't wrap my head around it. Yeah, she lost weight fast. But then she gains it back, then does it again, gains it back, rinse and repeat. It boggles the mind.

General doctors shouldn't be, but it doesn't stop some of them.
  • chekhov_liszt
    chekhov_liszt Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    My salads typically have some light leafy greens, more dark leafy greens, tomatoes, shallots, scallions, shredded cheese, sunflower seeds, boiled egg slices (and sometimes artichoke hearts, walnuts, peas, carrots, chicken, water chestnuts, radishes, etc), plus salad dressing (full fat), so I do get in a lot of protein and fat in them. Maybe asiaholifield's are the same way?
  • HeliumIsNoble
    HeliumIsNoble Posts: 1,213 Member
    edited February 2019
    Options

Several reasons.
    There is evidence that people that lose rapidly are more likely to keep part of it off, despite the common belief that slower is better and more permanent.
    There is evidence that being at less weight has health benefits even if it is transitory.
    Though the most common reason will probably be that doctors really aren't taught that much about weight loss. They typically are supposed to refer out to a dietitian, and the general level of nutrition taught in medical school reflects that.
    I'm a vegan. If you can meet your protein requirements on salad, please tell me how, because I can't!

Lettuce has 4.9 grams of protein per 360 gram head. So you should be good if you get in about 90/4.9*360g = 6.612 kg of lettuce. Bone apple tea. >:)
    Yum! Can't see any problems there.

My salads typically have some light leafy greens, more dark leafy greens, tomatoes, shallots, scallions, shredded cheese, sunflower seeds, boiled egg slices (and sometimes artichoke hearts, walnuts, peas, carrots, chicken, water chestnuts, radishes, etc), plus salad dressing (full fat), so I do get in a lot of protein and fat in them. Maybe asiaholifield's are the same way?
    I'm finding it somewhat implausible that they are if they're simultaneously coming in at sub-1000 a day.

• amy19355
    amy19355 Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    Im a female 5”2”
    Mostly sit at the office all day.
    I barely do any exercises

Since i joined this app, i started taking calories less than 1000 /per day in order to loose weight. (Mostly 800-950 cal)

I actually feel ok and i don’t feel starving
    My food for breakfast just mostly whole wheat grains bread , fresh fruits and vegetables

Anyone doing this too? What had been your experience so far?

Since you joined this app, how much time have you spent reading the sticky posts at the top of the different forums? They are chock full of information to help newbies like yourself make informed decisions about setting calorie intake goals.

Many posts here are from folks who have not used the various tools available to figure out what their own daily calorie needs are. WIthout that starting step - it's all a shot and a prayer that your efforts will succeed.

good luck!
  • AudreyJDuke
    AudreyJDuke Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    That's too low
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,981 Member
    Options

Several reasons.
    There is evidence that people that lose rapidly are more likely to keep part of it off, despite the common belief that slower is better and more permanent.
    There is evidence that being at less weight has health benefits even if it is transitory.
    Though the most common reason will probably be that doctors really aren't taught that much about weight loss. They typically are supposed to refer out to a dietitian, and the general level of nutrition taught in medical school reflects that.
    I'm a vegan. If you can meet your protein requirements on salad, please tell me how, because I can't!

Lettuce has 4.9 grams of protein per 360 gram head. So you should be good if you get in about 90/4.9*360g = 6.612 kg of lettuce. Bone apple tea. >:)
    Yum! Can't see any problems there.

I'm finding it somewhat implausible that they are if they're simultaneously coming in at sub-1000 a day.

They might have to have lower protein goals and higher BF% goals than a lot of people on MFP advocate, but let's say shooting for 0.8 g protein per pound of LBM (100 lbs) at a GW of 125 (no idea how tall this hypothetical person is, but let's say that's a health BMI, with BF% of 20%). That's 80 g protein, or 320 kcal for salad proteins.

Add 50 g of fat, which should be enough for most people. That's 450 kcal for salad fats.

320 + 450 = 770 kcal, leaving 200+ kcal for greens and veggies that aren't contributing protein and fat.

Pretty massive salad, and I like lots of protein and at least some fat in my salads.

I'm not advocating it, because you still need sufficient energy, and a steady diet below 1000 kcals isn't going to cut it for the overwhelming majority of adult human beings. Just saying it's not a theoretical impossibility.

I suppose some of the disconnect here may be how different people define a salad.