Breaking the sugar cycle?

Options
Hi everyone, I’m new to MFP - I’m working on breaking the sugar cycle. I know that I feel better in general when I have less processed sugar. But the call to the candies and cookies is very loud! Does anyone have suggestions for breaking the sugar addiction?

Replies

• mariannekehl
    mariannekehl Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I am trying to do the same thing. I recently gave up alcohol so i expected the sugar cravings to be fierce but wow this is bad.
  • Ninnoc06
    Ninnoc06 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I know it’s the same with sweets for me - the headaches are horrible!
  • Ninnoc06
    Ninnoc06 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    BZAH10 wrote: »
    Many times cravings for sweets is much more of a habit and a comforting ritual. For example, candy in the afternoon, dessert after dinner, etc. It's a habit that can be changed. Replace the sweet with something else you enjoy whether it be food related (flavored unsweetened tea) or a 10 minute break to take a quick walk or listen to a couple songs you really enjoy.

I like this a lot - I love a good herbal tea or a good stretch. It’s hard at the office especially when they keep offering snacks but maybe a cup of tea or a quick walk outside will be enough?
  • Shexio
    Shexio Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    -- Seriously, salt ? Can I have dill or sweet pickles?
    Is any of it related to the fact I don't eat a lot of fat (added fat) and I'm a veggie/fruit + oats girl?

Ugh, I know...some of mine HAS to be the fact I'm not balancing out protein/fat/carbs.

I want to get through a day...but I fail by 2pm.
    Trying again right now...no sugar from 3:30pm - bedtime.....
    and then NO sugar tomorrow morning. WHy is this SO hard to do???

• rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    I'm the same as @AnnPT77 - when I eat more fruit I crave added sugars less. I needed to cut out most sugar when I was diagnosed with diabetes, and my experience was that after going cold turkey on oversweetened foods for about two weeks, they started tasting too sweet and I no longer wanted them as badly.

During that transitional period one unexpected thing that helped was changing my habits around food. For example I used to stop every day for a Coke Icee at a particular corner, so I changed my driving patterns so I didn't pass it on the way home. I still crave Baskin Robbins when I pass the place we used to get it on a hot summer afternoon. Just simple things like putting the cookies in another cabinet can help.
  • Erick_mg
    Erick_mg Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Salt, pink salt, when you crave sweets. It's just a little help to get you over the crave moment. After you've broken through the addiction you'll be ok without the extra salt.

What just eat salt ? Ive had the aame problem cookies is the worst for me and i dont know how to stop that craving it always gets me not everyday but at least once week and that is what leads me to my cheat meals if i would know how to control that sweet craving i would be able to accomplish much more
  • khaatrebert
    khaatrebert Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I love sweets. I was raised in a family that had a little something for desert every night. I don’t fight my love of sugar. I probably have desert 4 times a week. I make small one person deserts so that I don’t over eat. My personal favorites are chocolate chip cookie dough for one (although I leave out the chocolate chips because I don’t need them), peanut butter cookie dough for one, brownie for one, and a 1/4 batch of crepes!
  • Ecosse2018
    Ecosse2018 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    What works for me is looking in the mirror, then going upstairs and looking in my wardrobe at the clothes I want to look good in this summer. When you are addicted to sugar you cannot stop with just one, but want another and then another. For me it is easier not to eat anything with any sort of sugar in the ingredients.
  • amberellen12
    amberellen12 Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    bhurley100 wrote: »
    2h6bpcbby6tv.png

I love this! So true!