How often do you weight yourself? I’m curious!

Replies

• RelCanonical
    RelCanonical Posts: 3,882 Member
    Fivepts wrote: »
    If I weigh and I haven't lost, I have a huge temptation to throw in the towel. So, I try to weigh once every two weeks. Even then if I hit it on a bad day then it can be detrimental for me mentally. I also have a stack of jeans in a range of sizes (that I used to be) that I try on once a month. Even if the next size down is tight and I can't wear them and breathe, I am still encouraged to be able to get them on.

This is me too. For some reason, I would get really discouraged when I weighed once a week and didn't lose. BUT, if I weigh once a month and lost two pounds in a month (even though my rate of loss should have been four) I'm like "woo, lost weight!". Brains are weird sometimes.
  • CharlieCharlie007
    CharlieCharlie007 Posts: 246 Member
    I used to weight daily, until my cat pissed on the scale, and killed it. Now I weigh myself every six weeks at dietitians. But I am more into measurements. Skin fold and tape measure. I believe that is the true measure of my progress.
  • brenn24179
    brenn24179 Posts: 2,144 Member
    daily, last year it was once a month and then I gained 25 lbs, learned my lesson, everyone is different though
  • CheekyChiq88
    CheekyChiq88 Posts: 109 Member
    i weigh myself on the 1st of the month and the 15th...so i guess every twoish weeks. I get too obsessive if i weigh myself once a day or even once a week. This is a new strategy for myself but so far successful i lost 18 lbs in january!
  • Housegoat
    Housegoat Posts: 20 Member
    once a week.. Monday mornings
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    couple times per week, usually towards the end of the week.
  • empressjasmin
    empressjasmin Posts: 170 Member
    Daily weigher, but it is not always the best for me. I often focus too much on weight alone which is not good for my mental. I try to do every few days in no specific pattern.
  • zeejane03
    zeejane03 Posts: 993 Member
    edited February 2019
    I used to weight daily, until my cat pissed on the scale, and killed it. Now I weigh myself every six weeks at dietitians. But I am more into measurements. Skin fold and tape measure. I believe that is the true measure of my progress.

My cat used to sleep on my scale and kept draining the darn battery :/ Drove me nuts!
  • Bry_Fitness70
    Bry_Fitness70 Posts: 2,480 Member
    5-6 days per week. I have a scale that automatically dumps the data into other apps (including MFP), so there is no manual effort in recording it. I am in sustainment, so why weigh myself so often? Because I am a fitness data addict, lol.
  • guil0095
    guil0095 Posts: 327 Member
    It's so hard not to weigh in. I weigh in daily when I wake up out of habbit. If I know I am going to have a cheat weekend, I usually skip weighing in on the weekends.
  • dbanks80
    dbanks80 Posts: 3,685 Member
    I lift weights and I go by how I look and not the number on the scale. I might check it once a month maybe.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    daily. more data points to see trends
  • sheloves89
    sheloves89 Posts: 88 Member
    Every morning. =) It helps keep me comfortable with (sometimes bizarre) weight fluctuations.
  • BeGrandLike
    BeGrandLike Posts: 184 Member
    Most mornings.

Wake up, stumble to the bathroom, wee, weigh myself and record the number, brush my teeth, and then zombie my way downstairs in search of coffee.

I do get a bit of a kick out of predicting which way the numbers will have gone, depending on alllll the factors that go into water retention every day. I kinda think it's fun to be able to think "hmmm so I feel thirsty right now so maybe lower... but also I lifted heavy yesterday and my butt is aching a bit so that's definitely retaining water... And I did have a bunch of salty food last night to maybe higher...".

I find playing that game with myself (on the mornings when I've enough brain power to string two thoughts together..) helps me to see fluctuations not in terms of fat loss/gain, but about water. And sometimes- like say, if I've killed it at with the barbells the evening before- a bit of water gain is a sign that my body's busy building some sweet sweet muscles. Which, like: awesome.
  • Fitforevermore
    Fitforevermore Posts: 399 Member
    I weigh on Saturday mornings so that I don't get panicked by any weekend damage on the scales, I tend to sabotage if I see big numbers!
  • TonyB0588
    TonyB0588 Posts: 9,520 Member
    JustEdie1 wrote: »
    I use to weigh in daily like it was a religion. Then recently I stopped, because I thought to myself maybe it was causing me to self-sabotage. THEN I started weighing in once week, but because I know I have a weigh in coming up, I start to get extremely obsessive about what I’m consuming. Tracking in a mentally unhealthy way. How do you guys weigh in? Maybe I should just never weigh in. Lol

I weigh everyday. Wake up, undress, get on the scale.
  • choppie70
    choppie70 Posts: 544 Member
    I weigh daily - right after I use the bathroom in the morning. I like the information that it gives me and I have learned a lot about my body by doing it. I used to be frustrated by the scale, but I learned to use it as a tool to my weight loss, just like my food scale.
  • brittlb07
    brittlb07 Posts: 313 Member
    edited February 2019
    Once in the morning and once at night. Religiously. This has helped me see trends throughout the day based on what I eat. If I start to get discouraged when weight loss slows I’ll back down.

I should add I use trending apps so that I don’t get discouraged if it’s up.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Daily weigh ins are for me. I find that when I weigh less often, I start to worry about it more and allow the numbers to mess with my mind. Even after a particularly heavy eating/sodium filled day, I would rather know the number exactly and move on. It motivates me for sure. I've been maintaining a big (over 100 lb) loss for 5 years and find that the times I've slacked off on daily weigh-ins are the times when I have put on a few pounds.
  • wendsg
    wendsg Posts: 659 Member
    Every morning. Much as many others, stagger into the bathroom, relieve myself, strip and step on. Plunk said number into MFP, move on with life, once a week (usually Sunday) pull the weight report so I can view the total trend. :) I <3 numbers and analysis, and have learned not to obsess about day-to-day changes.