Thinking about starting at a gym, tips?

Options
Hi, I weight 251, down from 275. I have been doing the August challenge which is a whole lot more exercise then ever before. I have barely lost any weight this month. I would like to gradually work my way up being more physically fit. So, if I did circuit training and or had someone at the gym so me the correct way to do exercises i could then do at home. How often? How long? I have access to a gym for $10/ month. How many time per week to be able to see a difference? If I start toning up, how long before the scale likes me again?

Replies

• d2footballJRC
    d2footballJRC Posts: 2,684 Member
    Options
    I started the gym 3 weeks ago and saw a huge difference. To the tune of 23 pounds and 7.5 inches total lost. I started out at 45 minutes a day, then moved up to 1hours to 2 hours a day depending on how I feel. I can say at first it's hard, but something happens, your body gets this feeling and then you get hooked. Biggest part is you have to push yourself.

When I first started the gym I was absolutely gassed on the treadmill after 5 minutes. Just a couple days I ago I noticed I went 20 minutes before I really started sucking air at a faster speed. I find it interesting, I'll go start out then x amount of minutes in my body and brain tell me, well yeah we are almost done, or lets cut this short, it's when you push yourself past that you get this second wind that is just amazing. It's such a great feeling, it's hard to explain.
  • AZKristi
    AZKristi Posts: 1,801 Member
    Options
    If you want to burn fat you'll have to do moderate to high intensity cardo work. Stair climbers, treadmills, elliptical (with enough exertion to be a bit out of breath) for a minimum of 30 minutes at least 3-4 days a week.

Strength training is great to avoid muscle loss (which can occur with fat loss in people who neglect this). I do Pilates and Yoga several times a week in addition to cardio 5 days a week and it seems to work for me.

If you want to lift weights, I found a great book: The Women's Health Big Book of Exercises.
  • chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options
    I'll be honest... I don't think I would be where I am today without my gym membership. I know a lot of people have huge success with at home workouts, but I am not one of them. Paying for the gym is motivation. Driving by it on my way home from work is motivation. I never, ever, ever thought I'd join a gym OR enjoy going -- but I do. I can't imagine NOT having a gym membership.

When I first started, I went 6-7 times a week for 60 mins. Now that I'm in maintenance and below my original goal weight - I only go 2-3 times a week for 60 mins. Let me tell you that while I don't go as often, I make sure I bust my butt every single time I go.

I know you'll hear a lot of differing opinions on a gym memberships, but for me... it is the best $25 I spent each month. :)
  • dmpizza
    dmpizza Posts: 3,321 Member
    Options
    For 10 bucks a month, you have to join.
    I recommend at 4 days a week.
    Trainers are expensive but for free they will usually give you solid advice about what machines to use and how often.
    I strongly recommend an elliptical machine. They work your whole body, but are easy on your knees.
  • ConnieSG
    ConnieSG Posts: 376
    Options
    I joined the gym in March 2011 and couldn't do the Elliptical Trainer for 5 minutes, but as time went by I added 5 minutes and that 5 minutes is now up to 60 minutes each visit and 30 minutes on the stationary bike. I also make myself get up at 4:45 to go to the gym by 5 so I can get my work out done first thing in the morning. It's funny because sometimes I crave going to the gym.

I too like nwmsujchaney have to push myself sometimes. Like this morning, I had a migraine and felt sick to my stomach half-way through my workout, but I pushed myself and completed my entire workout.
  • krevelle65
    krevelle65 Posts: 189
    Options
    Thanks for the input. I am thinking that I can committ 3 days per week, (2days after work and1 day of the weekend) for an hour or so. I walk every day or use my elliptical, would just do that on my off gym days. Is that enough to make a difference. I hate to set myself up to fail and I don't see me getting to the gym more often then that. A concern of mine with the exercises I am trying to do for this challenge, is .... I wonder if I am doing them right.
  • CoraGregoryCPA
    CoraGregoryCPA Posts: 1,087 Member
    Options
    um.. I'll be honest too, the Gym has never helped me out to lose weight. I once weighed 240lbs. I worked out, but nothing. I ate badly though. I didn't truly understand how to eat well. The thing that worked for me was gastric bypass surgery. ok. ok. not everyone will do that, BUT now that I'm post gastric bypass, I workout and NOTHING. No weight lose. I can't lose weight from increasing my exercise. I've been working out since Feb '11. I finally figured out that working out, makes me feel healthier and stronger and that is why I should do it. NOT to lose weight. This is why I keep going. Because I'm not going to lose weight.. I'm going to be healthier.

Usually when people workout they make better food choices, so they will lose weight. But, please go because you will be healthier. Do it for your heart! Eat a little smarter, cut some calories and you will surely see a differenc.

Also, when you go workout, guess what? No one is looking at you, no one else is wondering what you are doing. I used to think "Everyone is looking at me". They really don't care. The ones that stare are the high schoolers in the evening.. and they only go for about a week or so. Serious "gym goers" are proud that you are there and are HAPPY for you!! Go, trip, fall, have fun!! We are glad you are there!! Just a thought.
  • CoraGregoryCPA
    CoraGregoryCPA Posts: 1,087 Member
    Options
    Start out a time and day that works for you. I started out 20-30 minutes and only doing 3 days a week. Then I increased slowly. I didn't want to burn myself out. Now I enjoy 5 days a week and I can easily and happily workout for 45-55 minutes.. but this is 6 months later. Do what you are going to love! Not, what you will hate in the long run.
  • krevelle65
    krevelle65 Posts: 189
    Options
    Thanks for the input. :)
  • d2footballJRC
    d2footballJRC Posts: 2,684 Member
    Options
    I have tried everything to lose weight, the gym allows you to burn extra calories, it's insane to say that burning calories won't help you lose weight! I agree it's 80% diet and 20% exercise, but the exercise, not necessarily the gym is what keeps you focused a lot. Another HUGE thing is DRINK YOUR DAILY VALUE of water. I can't believe how much of a difference that is..

And an example for gym/working out vs not working out...

1.5 months no working out diet only- 20 pounds lost.
    3 weeks working out along with diet - 23.6 pounds lost

Diet stayed the same through this time, in fact I've been eating more since going to the gym. Trainer and Dr. said that is because when you work out it increases your metabolism. The gym is just an enhancer to your weight loss.
  • slovag01
    slovag01 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I just started going to the gym again. Transition between college and t eh real world is difficult. Even when I worked out in college, it was never religiously, but now that I have a gym at work I plan on going everyday. Does anyone have any good ideas of where to start. That is always the toughest part for me. I think I become too self conscious at the gym since I do not have much gym experience. I feel everyone is watching me and I look like an idiot. I really want to drop some weight and just get all around toned...as I'm sure everyone wants to do...

I was also curious about pre and post workout meals? What is good to eat before and what is good to eat after?

Please if anyone has any ideas or tips for me that would be greatly appreciated.