Is there a diet I can eat what I want and still lose?

Options
I’ve been dieting since I was a kid. I’ve probably been dieting about 22 years now. I’m on and off sure but more on than off. I’m tired of it. I’m so over it. I’m tired of temporary success. I’m currently on the weight watchers again from keto(...again), because I was burnt out of eating meat. I want to know, is there anyway that I can eat the foods I love and still lose weight? I’m not talking about Twinkies I’m talking about rice, beans, bread sometimes. Cheese sometimes. Is this even possible?

Replies

• Fatty_Nuff
    Fatty_Nuff Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    check out this that was posted a little while ago.
    It pretty much answers your question.
    https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10725274/32lbs-down-in-14-weeks-on-2000-calories-a-day-diet-photos-below#latest
  • lin_be
    lin_be Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    That’s the basis of every diet really. Eating whatever will make you consistently stay in a calorie deficit. You soon learn what keeps you fuller longer or what isn’t worth the calories.
  • try2again
    try2again Posts: 3,562 Member
    edited February 2019
    Options
  • try2again
    try2again Posts: 3,562 Member
    Options
    Yes. You can eat anything you want and still lose weight. You just can't eat as much of everything as you might want, all at one time.

I just came back to say that! :)
  • whatalazyidiot
    whatalazyidiot Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    Yes! Just log your food here and ditch WW. When I was on it, I barely ate 1,000 calories a day, was sick, fatigued, and obviously starving. I was an example of someone who didn't eat enough free foods, but a lot of people eat too many of them. It's a terrible system. Here you don't have to second guess because you count every calorie, and you know where it's coming from.
  • Jackie9003
    Jackie9003 Posts: 1,106 Member
    Options
    The common response on here is that to lose weight you need to create a deficit and as long as you do that you can eat whatever you fancy.
    And it works!
    I've lost over 50lb doing this, I regularly have pizza, chocolate, chips, curry, vodka - I had chicken and chips for dinner today followed by ice cream!
    The key point is that you need to have it in moderation, that way you'll develop good habits that you can keep up when you get to your goal weight.
    Feel free to send me a friend request if you want to have a look at my diary.
  • fFinfan66
    fFinfan66 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    See it,eat it.Just burn more then you take in,that easy😀.I try to be between 250-500 calorie deficit.Keep movin & shakin,it’ll come off.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    I’ve been dieting since I was a kid. I’ve probably been dieting about 22 years now. I’m on and off sure but more on than off. I’m tired of it. I’m so over it. I’m tired of temporary success. I’m currently on the weight watchers again from keto(...again), because I was burnt out of eating meat. I want to know, is there anyway that I can eat the foods I love and still lose weight? I’m not talking about Twinkies I’m talking about rice, beans, bread sometimes. Cheese sometimes. Is this even possible?

All you have to do is be in a calorie deficit. I'm cutting my winter fluff at the moment and losing about 1 Lb per week...I'm also having pizza tonight.
  • Ed_Zilla
    Ed_Zilla Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    I want to know, is there anyway that I can eat the foods I love and still lose weight? I’m not talking about Twinkies I’m talking about rice, beans, bread sometimes. Cheese sometimes. Is this even possible?

OP - Yes - there is a diet for that where you can eat anything. Just count calories and do all in moderation.

You will have to probably quit eating out as much, and you will probably have to find some new items that are filling and not so calorie dense that you prepare at home, but I lost 75 pounds, while drinking the whole time, using diet (counting calories) and exercise.
  • teracolleen
    teracolleen Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately, it still all comes down to calories IN and calories OUT. I still drink wine and have cheese, because I love them! But, those days I also lower my calories to make room in my calorie budget. Those days I eat a lot of veggies. My favorite is broccoli and cauliflower steamed with szechuan spicy sauce. seasoning is your friend. and also Brand Buds. they fill me up.
  • teracolleen
    Options
    YES!
  • teracolleen
    Options
    Calorie counting! you can eat anything you want.
  • theowlbox
    theowlbox Posts: 912 Member
    Options
    ok, so everyone has reiterated that calories in/calories out is where it's at. true. but i think that you are probably having issues around food and weight because of the way you are interacting with food mentally.

if you have been having problem eating behaviors and repetitive issues with food over 2 decades, no wonder you're tired. if you've been up AND down then when you were down you made decisions to change something back to your "normal" way of eating and it made you gain. so the solution for you is going to be some form of never truly going "off" your plan.

this all boils down to you likely yo yoing because you feel deprived on whatever diet you are on that is limiting something. if it's carbs you want carbs, if it's dairy you want dairy. the awesome news (for your adult self) is that you can decide to "spend" your calories however you want. the crap news for that childlike part of you that wants to have no rules is that you can eat what you want but not however much you want. so welcome to what a lot of other auccessful people do: refine ways to trick themselves into feeling like they have tons of freedom. they bulk up dishes with veggies, they use smaller plates. they adequately hydrate, they eat on whatever schedule helps them stretch their calories out. etc. it is a mental game. so don't worry so much about not being able to have rice or beans. don't worry at all. just treat dieting as a fun new adventure in learning more about yourself.

you are doing a good job. chin up!