2200 calories = sad :-(

Options
Soooo tonight I had an unexpected "cheat night" and decided to count my calories anyway (not a smart move)...they added up to 2200!! I usually eat between 1400-1600. Then, I stepped on the scale--at 10 pm, 5 minutes after my little binge. Result: 5 lbs heavier than usual and super sad :-( Does anyone else beat themselves up this bad on nights like this? Ugh.

Replies

• Dabbles
    Dabbles Posts: 367
    Options
    It's going to mainly be water weight. Give it a few days and I bet all of that will go away :) Get back on it tomorrow. It'll be okay!
  • starwhisperer
    Options
    oh you poor thing, never never never weigh yourself at night after a full day of anything much less bad eating and think the results are going to make you smile. I bet if you weigh again in the morning the results will be much different.
  • audram420
    audram420 Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    Dont beat yourself up...this is why people quit!! Accept that you've done it and you can't change anything except doing better from this point on. Also, you'll see that tomorrow morning after a good nights sleep, you probably won't still have that whole 5lbs there.

Hope the 2200 was enjoyable!! :tongue:
  • lilwashee
    lilwashee Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    do not punish yourself, its a spiral one day of eating 2200 is not goin to actually put 5 pounds back on ...breathe
  • nomerebutterfly
    nomerebutterfly Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Don't weigh in on your cheat night! If you weigh in less frequently (weekly or even better, bi-weekly or monthly) then you'll find that the "over days" trick your metabolism into not slowing down quite so much in the long run! Enjoy that binge day, girl!
  • leomom72
    leomom72 Posts: 1,797 Member
    Options
    yeah, don't weigh at the end of the day..bad idea..im sure it wont be so bad in the morning
  • CallejaFairey
    CallejaFairey Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    don't forget, the food you ate has weight too, specially so soon after eating it. there is no point to weighing yourself so soon after, and then feeling bad. the weight is the food. give you system some time to digest and then weigh yourself, see what happens then.
  • sleepytexan
    sleepytexan Posts: 3,138 Member
    Options
    GOOD FOR YOU FOR LOGGING!

That was the most responsible thing you could have done, congrats!

Now, stop worrying. It's not that bad. If you're on a 1 lb/week loss, you're just 250 cals over for maintaining. So eat 250 fewer tomorrow and back at loss calories on Wednesday.

This will not make you gain.

blessings.
  • Jorra
    Jorra Posts: 3,338 Member
    Options
    The scale went up 5 pounds because you have 5 pounds of food in your belly! You didn't gain any weight, it will be gone in the morning when you get rid of it.
  • thebunnies
    thebunnies Posts: 168
    Options
    weighing yourself after eating is weighing the food you just consumed.. of course the scale is going to go up. a cheat day is fine, just don't make a habit out of it. back on track tomorrow :)
  • Heather75
    Heather75 Posts: 3,386 Member
    Options
    yeah, don't weigh at the end of the day..bad idea..im sure it wont be so bad in the morning

Exactly. You'll crap it all out.
  • tgbjr1973
    Options
    As long as you get back on track tomorrow, all will be fine. Sometimes when I hit a plateau it helps to have a day like you had today to reset my metabolism. I bet within a couple of days the end damage won't be near as bad as you think.
  • engineman312
    engineman312 Posts: 3,450 Member
    Options
    i think a cheat day is ok, and you should still count the calories so you don't really over do it. once in a while isn't bad.
  • Gemini_at_36
    Options
    First of all, do not step on the scale at this hour. Do Not Step On The Scale. And yes I have those days too. But then you wake up tomorrow and try again to be good to yourself (after the food hangover goes away.) :flowerforyou:
  • barbiex3
    barbiex3 Posts: 1,036 Member
    Options
    i gained 8 pounds in a day once. the next morning I lost 6 pounds.. don't worry about it
  • Sasssy69
    Sasssy69 Posts: 547 Member
    Options
    We did Taco Tuesday last Tuesday. Unexpected. I completely over-indulged. Gained about 2 pounds. Felt like garbage and beat myself up all the next day. It was all water weight. I'm back down. You will be too. Don't be so mean to yourself. :-) One day does not ruin weeks or months of hard work!
  • lyndyb88
    lyndyb88 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    a cheat day is not bad at all...i have usually one per week...it helps keep me on track for the rest of the week...i can make it through knowing that one day i will get to cheat :D i make the mistake of weighing myself after eating as well...don't trust that number...2200 calories is not anywhere near enough to cause a 5 pound gain in one day!!!! when you get up in the morning and you've gone to the bathroom i guarantee you it will not be anywhere near 5 pounds up :D Most importantly, don't beat yourself up. If you've had a cheat day you're not a failure...knowing that you've cheated is a thousand times better than when people eat 2200 calories or more every day and it's not a cheat for them...it's just how they eat...but you know it was a cheat day and you'll move on and get right back on track the next day :D you are amazing...keep reminding yourself of that!
  • omgsaleslady
    omgsaleslady Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    i had an ENTIRE WEEK of nothing but burgers and beer...and i only gained one pound. just shake it off and forget about it!
  • Serrtana
    Serrtana Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I have had a few nights like the one you had. I've been keeping track of the food I eat so I know how bad it is. I've had five bad days so far. I hope this isn't the beginning of the end:( I really need to get back on track. I do think counting your food is a big plus for you because you can really see where you need to adjust. If your looking for a friend you can count me. I could use someone to help me be accountable. The older I get the pounds dont move so I get discourged.
  • DaniJeanine
    DaniJeanine Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    Aww thanks so much everyone. Yes, the scale was a bad, bad, bad idea. I knew a post would make me feel better though--the MFP community is so supportive.

...especially when my boyfriend doesn't get it (this is a guy that can eat a carton of Ben & Jerry's 4 times a week and not gain a pound! lol)