Does anyone else constantly get told their face is too thin?

Options
jme260
jme260 Posts: 44 Member
edited February 2019 in Health and Weight Loss
I am 10lbs away from my goal and everyone keeps telling me I look too thin in my face and I shouldn’t lose any more. I carry all my weight in my mid section (never really the thighs or arms) and lose it all in my face first. It’s getting so annoying hearing it but I still have some belly fat to go and can’t control my face! Maybe getting to goal and trying to bulk up with muscle a little would help? Or I just shouldn’t care what people think.. just wish they would stop saying it!

(((( vent over )))) lol

Replies

• jemzyw01
    jemzyw01 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Just keep nodding at them lol .Its your body its how you feel that counts . Its not always easy to not care what people think but its your body 😊
  • jme260
    Options
    h7463 wrote: »
    I live in one of the 'biggest' states in the US. I hear that a lot. More often than not, the person making the remark is in the company of a cheeseburger, fries, and XL regular Dr Pepper. IMO, it's THEM, who have the problem! :D
    Just ignore it!
    Best of luck!

Your so right! Most of the people saying it don’t really seem happy that I’ve done well losing!
  • jme260
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    jme260 wrote: »
    I am 10lbs away from my goal and everyone keeps telling me I look too thin in my face and I shouldn’t lose any more. I carry all my weight in my mid section (never really the thighs or arms) and lose it all in my face first. It’s getting so annoying hearing it but I still have some belly fat to go and can’t control my face! Maybe getting to goal and trying to bulk up with muscle a little would help? Or I just shouldn’t care what people think.. just wish they would stop saying it!

(((( vent over )))) lol

People get used to us looking a particular way, so can kind of freak out when we change dramatically. Just as many of us have trouble seeing our own weight loss, sometimes people around us kind of see it too much. They need an adjustment period. They'll get used to you; don't worry too much, as long as you and your doctor think your weight is fine.

Also, I think there is a tendency after a long period of weight loss for some of us to look a little haggard in the face: I know I did. It will improve in maintenance, I predict. Part of it will be from a bit of looser facial skin that shrinks more slowly than the fat depletes; with time, that likely will start to catch up. Part, I think, is also from the glycogen depletion (lower average water weight) that comes with weight loss. At maintenance, some of that will come back, as well.

As long as you're 100% sure you're not suffering some form of distorted body image (which is why I mentioned your doctor a couple of paragraphs back), I'd say you should just stay the course. Tell people reassuring things, like "my doctor is happy with my weight loss and goal" or "I'm definitely slowing things down now because I'm so close to goal", or some other true/calming thing.

Thank you for this!! Good to know things can change a little. I’m looking forward to learning how to do maintenance and watching my body change..I appreciate you looking out - I am 4”11 and just reached my high end BMI (went from a size 10 to 4) I am working on weight lifting now to tighten my stomach area, but will start maintenance soon hopefully.
  • OhMsDiva
    OhMsDiva Posts: 1,074 Member
    Options
    I thought and sometimes still think that when I look at myself. I am getting used to it, but it makes a big difference. I am no where small or skinny, but there is an extreme difference in my face. I sometimes joke and say I need to get some fillers. At any rate, it really does not bother me anymore when people say do not lose anymore weight. I just do what makes me comfortable.
  • Avidkeo
    Avidkeo Posts: 3,190 Member
    Options
    Remember they are comparing your face now to then, so yeah that comparison looks "gaunt". If you meet someone new they wont make that comment because they don't know what old you looks like.

After getting a few comments along those lines from the same person all the time, I pointed the above out to her, saying she would never say that about someone X (a person we both know who is a healthy weight). She got the point after that and stopped saying things.

That was about 6 months ago, I think people are used to my new look - though I still want to lose about 30lb - so I don't get a lot of comments anymore.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    Options
    Yep, my hubby refers to me as 'dot' because apparently my face is so small....
  • cheryldumais
    cheryldumais Posts: 1,907 Member
    Options
    When I lost my weight the first place I lost it was in my face. Once I got to maintenance I feel like it balanced out. Like you I carried all my excess in the middle and had relatively thin arms and legs along with my face. Don't worry about what others say. I got alot of the same when I was losing and now everyone is used to seeing me thinner. It's your journey not theirs.