Planet fitness tanning beds

Options
2»

Replies

• brittyn3
    brittyn3 Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    I like tanning. I almost never do in tanning beds though, because I think the cost is ridiculous. But I LOVE spending a day at the beach under the sun. It makes me happy, I feel better, I look better, I still protect my skin. To each their own. My mom tanned regularly in her 30's - 40's and she aged beautifully. She looked younger than she was, I think a lot of it is genetics.

As for the cleaning of the beds, UV also kills bacteria, they are more or less self cleaning. Not that I would ever get in one without cleaning it myself, but it's really not a big deal.

However, nothing is better than a fantastic tan after a long run, tan lines and all. :smile:
  • SwindonJogger
    SwindonJogger Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    Well there is no such thing as a healthy tan no matter how good it makes you feel. A tan is damaged skin. That's from the FDA web site. Tan=damaged DNA.

• qixmaster
    qixmaster Posts: 1 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    i tan,,,a ton in hawaii and once every 5 days when i get a chance in a booth for a full 12minutes. ihave no wrinkles, been doing this for years and i am over 55...i look 38...i am also asian

everyone is different and i would suggest that repliers give more info about themselves or of the people who they talk about. i have found that the people who have to worry are those who abuse the booths. i know of people who go in 4x a week. also if you are of pale complexion i would suggest you be careful. i happen to tan well and easily. i have a friend who has had cancer spots and he gets them if he just turns on the bathroom light. if you're this type, don't do it! if you're pale complected, turn red instead of brown, and your ancestry is northern european, you may not be built for it. i mean,,,you get the idea. be smart about it.

all the PF booths i've seen are standup types, not beds. they clean beds at tanning parlors but i can't say that is so at PF. i have to wait sometimes until they clean the beds at my tanning salon and i am appalled that it is not so at other licensed salons
  • Thehardmakesitworthit
    Thehardmakesitworthit Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    I wish I had not exposed my skin to so much sun..... I am not able to cite the scientific evidence but I know it exists, that tanning beds (and the sun) are very damaging and pose potential cancer risks..... if I had it to do over again, I would not. HOpe you make the most educated decision you can about this topic!
  • SusanleeBee
    SusanleeBee Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    I wish I could find the article and I'd post a link, but I read somewhere recently that people are catching herpes from tanning beds. Something about the virus mutating and becoming more resistant to cleaners because if the UV light and the tiny cracks in the acrylic. I have no idea how true this is, but I was considering fake baking again and it totally turned me off.

I don't think this can be true, because UV light kills viruses and bacteria. And also, if it's not wet, (as in the surface of the bed) the virus can't survive anyway.
  • goatg
    goatg Posts: 1,399 Member
    Options
    Pale is healthy; healthy is beautiful.

I tan, as a treat, when I go on vacation. Don't do it. Future you will thank past you.
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    Tanned zombies
  • huntersvonnegut
    huntersvonnegut Posts: 1,176 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't do it.
  • Smilin40
    Smilin40 Posts: 1,828 Member
    Options
    usmcmp wrote: »
    newmeadow wrote: »
    I wish I could find the article and I'd post a link, but I read somewhere recently that people are catching herpes from tanning beds. Something about the virus mutating and becoming more resistant to cleaners because if the UV light and the tiny cracks in the acrylic. I have no idea how true this is, but I was considering fake baking again and it totally turned me off.

The UV rays in the tanning beds make asymptomatic herpes (HSV2) symptomatic again. One must be already infected. HSV2, otherwise known as genital herpes, can and does present anywhere between the bellybutton and the knees. Most people who have HSV2 don't know they have it, have never experienced symptoms, or have had symptoms so mild they never realized it was a herpes infection. Especially if it wasn't on the genitals, which is common. The UV rays have a knack of making the symptoms appear when an infected area is exposed to the tanning rays, and the blisters often present more aggressively.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/1323616

Ewwwww.......

I mean, just think of all the sweaty naked bodies that have been pressed against that acrylic and then you lay on it too. What's really in the cleaners they use? There's no standard. I used to tan all the time and I swear some places just used windex. And not exactly scrubbing, just the swipe of a dirty rag. :confounded:

You didn't clean it before laying down? The place I go cleans them after every customer, but there's also wipes in there for us to use if we would like (usually Clorox wipes or similar).

It's been many years ago that I tanned and as I remember at the place I went to, they cleaned them before you used them. No cleaners were kept in the rooms.

Plus usually some young one sitting at counter I don’t think it’s the most regulated of business sectors.
  • hoisme63
    hoisme63 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Smilin40 wrote: »
    usmcmp wrote: »
    newmeadow wrote: »

The UV rays in the tanning beds make asymptomatic herpes (HSV2) symptomatic again. One must be already infected. HSV2, otherwise known as genital herpes, can and does present anywhere between the bellybutton and the knees. Most people who have HSV2 don't know they have it, have never experienced symptoms, or have had symptoms so mild they never realized it was a herpes infection. Especially if it wasn't on the genitals, which is common. The UV rays have a knack of making the symptoms appear when an infected area is exposed to the tanning rays, and the blisters often present more aggressively.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/1323616

Ewwwww.......

I mean, just think of all the sweaty naked bodies that have been pressed against that acrylic and then you lay on it too. What's really in the cleaners they use? There's no standard. I used to tan all the time and I swear some places just used windex. And not exactly scrubbing, just the swipe of a dirty rag. :confounded:

You didn't clean it before laying down? The place I go cleans them after every customer, but there's also wipes in there for us to use if we would like (usually Clorox wipes or similar).

It's been many years ago that I tanned and as I remember at the place I went to, they cleaned them before you used them. No cleaners were kept in the rooms.

Plus usually some young one sitting at counter I don’t think it’s the most regulated of business sectors.

YES YOU CAN CONTRACT HERPES FROM A TANNING BED. TRUST AND BELIEVE I KNOW!! ALWAYS INSIST ON CLEANING THE BED YOURSELF REGARDLESS IF THEY SAY THEY ALREADY CLEANED IT
  • hoisme63
    hoisme63 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    YES YOU CAN CONTRACT HERPES FROM A TANNING BED. TRUST AND BELIEVE I KNOW!! ALWAYS INSIST ON CLEANING THE BED YOURSELF REGARDLESS IF THEY SAY THEY ALREADY CLEANED IT
  • InsertFunnyUsernameHere
    InsertFunnyUsernameHere Posts: 271 Member
    edited February 2019
    Options
    69-year old man who drove a truck for 28 years, with left side exposed directly to sunlight (UVA) for all those years.

sunlight.jpg
  • nooshi713
    nooshi713 Posts: 4,877 Member
    Options
    No tanning beds. The women I know who have been tanning for years have skin like leather, wrinkles, and/or cancer. Pale skin is beautuful too.
  • XzeroY
    XzeroY Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Tanning beds suck
  • amorfati601070
    amorfati601070 Posts: 2,862 Member
    Options
    Whenever someone talks about tanning beds I just think of that Final Destination 3 scene lol