How do you lose 2 lbs a week?

Options
It seems impossible to do this (speaking for my self) but I've read blogs here where people says they lose 1-2 lbs per week. Can you please share your secrets?:frown:

Thanks

Replies

• riccolesmana
    Options
    Eat in moderation, burn 1,000 calories a day within a week.
  • vsetter
    vsetter Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    I think it depends on how much you have to lose. I am in my healthy weight range. To try to lose 2 pounds per week would not be healthy.
  • mommyoftwins05
    mommyoftwins05 Posts: 645 Member
    Options
    I've only lost 2lbs in a week a few times.. not sure how people do it all the time..but i'm happy with a pound a week
  • hroush
    hroush Posts: 2,073 Member
    Options
    I lost 2 lbs a week for 7 months (280 - 210) doing nothing but a spin class twice a week and cutting out pop. If you don't have much to lose, it is unhealthy for you to lose that much that fast and should be targeting a lower rate.
  • taso42_DELETED
    taso42_DELETED Posts: 3,394 Member
    Options
    2 lbs is on the high side. Usually those with a lot to lose should aim for 2/week. Looks like you're aiming for 14? Try 1 lb/week. You may find things will go easier.
  • salmanajmal
    salmanajmal Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    this is my third week when i am losing two pounds a week. i am very happy about it. i donno if it will last longer or not. it has happened to me for the first time. the simple secret is the deficit of 1000 calories per day
  • megz4987
    megz4987 Posts: 1,008 Member
    Options
    Well, to start, I weigh a lot, haha.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,709 Member
    Options
    1% of your body weight is sensible. Anymore than that and your body will resist.
  • bentobee
    bentobee Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    I lost about that much my first couple months, but after the first chunk of weight came off my loss slowed. Now if I try to keep a 1000 deficit a day I plateau immediately. I can easily lose 1-1.2 pounds a week, but when I try for more than that it backfires on me.

I wear a BodyMedia Fit 24/7 and also a Polar HRM for workouts...so I've got my daily calorie burn down as close as it can possibly be monitored.
  • Cmon78
    Cmon78 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I eat around 1200 cals a day and burn about 1000 cals 5 days a week....some days it's more some days a little bit less.
  • futurefitgirl88
    Options
    3500 calories= 1 pound of fat. So example if you wanted to loose 1 pound a week, you will need to create a 3500 calorie deficit.

Lets say your BMR is 1500 (mine is!!)

BMR= Basal metabolic rate...basically the minimum calories your body needs to function at rest....so you burn that anyway even if you are sleeping all day.

If you reduce your calorie intake to 1200 for 7 days (means creating a 300 calorie deficit through diet)= you create a 2100 calorie deficit... Still lower than 1 pound of fat. You still need 1400 calorie deficit....for that you need to burn about 200 calories a day through exercise.

Walking for 20mins burns about 200 calories....so that's easily done!!! :D

Work out (7 days walking for 20 mins)= 200 per workout X 7= 1400
    Diet (eat 300 calories less than BMR)= 300 calorie deficit X 7= 2100

1400+2100= 3500 i.e I pound of fat!!! :D

If you wanna lose more weight..then exercise more!!! Hope that helps!
  • britnitennis
    Options
    easy!! cut sugar and carbs! NO MORE THAN 25 GRAMS OF SUGAR A DAY! This includes fruit too!
  • withchaco
    withchaco Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    Not everyone can drop 2lbs a week safely. It depends on how much fat you have to lose, your hormones, your genes, etc.

That said, to maximize your own safe weight loss, experiment with your exercise and net calories, as well as macro ratio (high protein works well for me). Your maximum may or may not be 2lbs per week, but it will be your best. Find out what works for you.
  • hhan
    hhan Posts: 74
    Options
    It seems impossible to do this (speaking for my self) but I've read blogs here where people says they lose 1-2 lbs per week. Can you please share your secrets?:frown:

Thanks

The more weight you have to lose (ie the further above "ideal weight" that you are), the higher your basal metabolic rate will be. It uses more energy simply to move around the heavier you are. Setting a similar calorie goal as someone lighter means there is a much larger gap between the BMR and the calorie target so the weightloss will be much larger by a calorie in vs calorie out equation.
  • Kirabelly
    Options
    start out really really fat and you'll be amazed how fast you can drop it if you try!
  • melizerd
    melizerd Posts: 870 Member
    Options
    The only time I lost 2lbs a week (or more) is when I first started and I had a minimum of 83lbs to lose.

In the one year that I've been here my weight loss evens out to 1.3lbs a week. That makes me happy, because it's 73lbs less than I weighed when I started!!
  • killagb
    killagb Posts: 3,280 Member
    Options
    easy!! cut sugar and carbs! NO MORE THAN 25 GRAMS OF SUGAR A DAY! This includes fruit too!

That won't do a bit of good if you are over in calories.
  • barbiex3
    barbiex3 Posts: 1,036 Member
    Options
    I eat around 1200 cals a day and burn about 1000 cals 5 days a week....some days it's more some days a little bit less.

whoaaa. eating disorder
  • shattah206
    Options
    I am new here too and I've been losing about 1.5/week. I just entered my current weight, goal weight, etc. and EVERYTHING I've eaten since then. It's amazing when you eat too many calories in a mid-morning snack and look at the numbers . . . then plan on broccoli for dinner! . . . and making better choices the next day. Pretty amazing what a difference some realtively small changes can make! One way or another, I am committed to staying under the calorie limit advised here @ the MFP site.

I am fortunate in that: I like veggies, fish, and chicken; I mostly cook just for myself; and I do not require much variety in my diet. Oh yeah, and I am completely dependent on my Droid so I can keep track throughout the day to see where I'm at.

You can do it too!
  • Christianevelyn09
    Christianevelyn09 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I lost 4 lbs in a week... holy moly. I'm loving MFP :)