Any 50's with 50 to lose?

Lost 30 lbs with MFP two years ago. Some stressful conditions caring for elderly parents and gained it back. Starting to use MFP again. Would love just one or two "pals" with similar issues and interests.
I'm 57, female. Artist, teacher, gardener. Love dogs, outdoors and hiking. Some back issues keep me from being as active as I want. I love healthy food but struggle with borderline high blood pressure and sugar levels due to weight and sweet tooth.
I weigh 215. 5'7". First goal is 185 (my weight in 2016). Ultimate goal is 165.

Replies

• kensgirl91
    kensgirl91 Posts: 5 Member
    I'm 56. I lost 40 lbs on my own. Now I yo-yo 200-193. I need an accountability partner to use my diary. I started going to the gym more. I work at an elementary school. I'm the attendance/records secretary. I love dogs. I would like to loose more weight. I'm not sure how much. Just untill I feel and look better. But at 56 years old, I don't want to get so thin that I look older than I am. Please friend me if you need an accountability partner.
  • renaerussell18
    renaerussell18 Posts: 31 Member
    I'm 54, 5ft6 at 220 pounds, I'm ready for buddies to be accountable to. I've been on and off MFP for the last several years but now I'm ready to get serious. I have high BP and borderline diabetic. I'm a real couch potato but used to be very active with hiking, biking and swimming. I am a nurse and work nights so the flipping back and forth between days and nights has gotten me out of sync and tired all the time. I agree with you Kensgirl, I don't look forward to the premature wrinkles so I'd like to be happy at 160. Only 60 pounds to go! LOL
  • debgoodlett2014
    debgoodlett2014 Posts: 6 Member
    I'm 57 years old, 5 '8", 198 lbs. and I want to lose 40 lbs. I've stayed my present weight for the last 2 years, regardless of the many attempts to lose the same 40 lbs. I've lost several times during my life. I'm really tired of always gaining it back. No real physical problems. I'm an online coordinator and English teacher, and during nice weather, love to walk. Love the outdoors and I garden. Presently I'm doing a low carb diet and trying to keep the calorie count down to 1350 a day.
  • Roadking311
    Roadking311 Posts: 26 Member
    I’ll be 50 in less than 3 months. Back on MFP and Fitbit. Had great success in the past but they last few years I have slipped. Time to get back serious. Back on track. Let’s do this. Feel free to friend me ;)
  • Johnk942
    Johnk942 Posts: 109 Member
    I am also 56. In reading the responses, so many of us in this age range are facing very similar challenges. Feel free to friend me as well.
  • renaerussell18
    So here we are! Did my upright rower three days in a row, feeling it in my glut and quads for sure! Best purchase of exercise equipment I think so far! I love logging in to MFP to count calories/carbs. Started February 1st, down 5 pounds (which I know at least half is water), but lost inches off my stomach already!
  • Roadking311
    Great job. Keep at it. We got this.
    So here we are! Did my upright rower three days in a row, feeling it in my glut and quads for sure! Best purchase of exercise equipment I think so far! I love logging in to MFP to count calories/carbs. Started February 1st, down 5 pounds (which I know at least half is water), but lost inches off my stomach already!

• 1985nurse
    1985nurse Posts: 4 Member
    I am 56 years old with 40 lbs to lose. I have done it in the past with WW but not really interested in attending meetings or paying anymore. What helps me is being held accountable. WW did that for me so now I need suggestions on how to manage without stepping on their scale every week
  • Roadking311
    Hey. We got this !!! I am a nurse also. Actually nurse practitioner. Ya healthcare folks can do this !!
    1985nurse wrote: »
    I am 56 years old with 40 lbs to lose. I have done it in the past with WW but not really interested in attending meetings or paying anymore. What helps me is being held accountable. WW did that for me so now I need suggestions on how to manage without stepping on their scale every week

• renaerussell18
    Nurse here too!
  • CallieSunshine
    CallieSunshine Posts: 7 Member
    edited February 2019
    That's me! I am 56 with 50 to lose. I keep having injury/illness that keep me sedentary. Just now getting over pneumonia so workouts are mild, it's gotta be diet. Would enjoy having a group to interact with as I face this challenge! I am not sure how to add friends on this site, though.
  • dondan61
    dondan61 Posts: 1 Member
    edited February 2019
    I’m in — 57 years old with 57 lbs to lose. Had some heart issues last year following pneumonia. Mostly they have been taken care of but ironically, the meds made me gain even more weight! Good news is I started walking and stopped smoking. Now if I can just stop eating LOL. Saturday weigh ins for me.
  • Zinka61
    Zinka61 Posts: 523 Member
    I'm almost 58 and have less to lose, having been on MFP a few years already. But I've been going through the health care crises and death of both of my parents for the last 4 years...regaining badly since my mom died during the holidays, leaving me with 10lbs of my original 28 lb goal to lose again. I garden, I cook vegan food, I have 5 dogs, love hiking in natural areas and run a nonprofit for teaching English to immigrants. I have a collection of friends who interact quite a lot, and it really helps, but people come and go, and a few new friends would help give me a boost to stay on track too. My main exercise is dog walking with a little running thrown in, yard work, lifting weights at the senior center gym when I get around to it. My challenges are painful, arthritic big toes and a recent diagnosis of GERD, which is limiting my food choices. Feel free to friend me!
  • dawnymo1
    dawnymo1 Posts: 48 Member
    1985nurse wrote: »

I was struggling with WW for the last six months not losing an ounce. Free points do not mean feee calories and I am finding this is holding me more accountable. 3.6 in 28 days I will take it. I am finding I have to eat all my calories or at least pretty close to lose. Good luck different mindset kind
  • AB2ptO
    AB2ptO Posts: 4 Member
    Hi All. I am 54y with 40 to lose. Quit smoking 2y ago and struggling to lose weight. Did Couch to 5k app and now on 10k version. Havent lost weight in weeks. I need accountability partner and motivating friend. I suspect I also need to more accurately measure my portions. Love reading others’ stories.
  • jgnickel
    jgnickel Posts: 81 Member
    I'm 51 with 55 to lose. Currently I'm at 200 and 5'4". I enjoy being outside in the summer but struggle to get outside more in the winter. I live in Alaska and we have had really wacky weather the past few years. less actual snow and more rain and Ice. We are buried this year :neutral: I lost 50 pounds about 15 years ago and have kept that off, but I feel stuck here at 200.
  • srisridhar
    srisridhar Posts: 2 Member
    I am 56, and have to lose about 50 pounds. Till last week it was an aspirational goal. Couple of days back diagnosed with type 2 diabetes. Now it has become a necessity to lose at least 25 pounds in the first go. I had lost about 20 pounds couple of years back but slowly gained everything plus some back.
  • SunRiseBiker
    SunRiseBiker Posts: 11 Member
    Hello, my name is Mary Anne. I am 57, and I've lost and gained over 50# several times. I don't know what it will take to keep the weight off at this point. I've been through a divorce, lost my Dad recently, and am often caring for my elderly mother. I'm also a single parent and run my own small business. Please friend me - I'd be happy to support you through this journey and beyond!
  • I am 53 and I need to lose 90 pounds and possibly 100 pounds. I've done ww but now they're closing our chapter down and I feel I need a change. I'm ready to count calories again. I'm new to mfp so what happens if I have 0 grams left for say fat grams but still have 300 calories left for the day. I find it's hard to not get something without fat grams. Any suggestions?
  • ruffneckred
    ruffneckred Posts: 69 Member
    I'm 52, been on MFP for a few years on & off, this go around is about 9 months. I am down 100 lbs and hope to lose 30 more. I feel better but not insanely well. I abhor doctors and medicine, trust & financial issues, I guess. I am LCHF lifestyle, and dabbling in intermittent fasting. The only support is online, mostly here. I have other life issues, which I want to address but seem to direct my efforts toward my health. I suppose I took "take care of yourself first" to heart. I still have cravings, I think it is emotional eating. Like trying to find happiness and all I see is ice cream or chips, lol, not really funny. Have a great day.