sodium

Has anyone else had an issue with heart flutters when their sodium count is low?
I have no idea how to increase sodium

Replies

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,879 Member
    Add salt to things...eat pickles...drink pickle juice...eat some processed food...go out to eat.
  • dawnymo1
    dawnymo1 Posts: 48 Member
    so I am not alone I am guessing
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,879 Member
    dawnymo1 wrote: »
    so I am not alone I am guessing

I don't have much issue with getting in adequate sodium and I don't have heart flutters. I do a lot of endurance cycling and in the summer it's often in excess of 100* so I often drink pickle juice when I'm done with a ride to replace all of the salt I lost sweating my *kitten* off.
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    Have you asked your doctor about your cardiac symptoms, and have they confirmed that it's due to low sodium?
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,372 MFP Moderator
    Imbalances electrolytes can cause tachycardia like symptoms. If you eliminated a oot of sodium and increased water consumption, it isn't unheard of to have these symptoms.
  • dawnymo1
    That is what I am reading. It is not all the time and my sodium count according to the app is very low if it doesn't correct it self I will head off to the dr
  • GummiMundi
    GummiMundi Posts: 396 Member
    That is what I am reading. It is not all the time and my sodium count according to the app is very low if it doesn't correct it self I will head off to the dr

I've seen many entries here on MFP with 0g of sodium, but that doesn't mean the food doesn't have sodium, only that the user who created that entry didn't include that information. I strongly recommend you to see a doctor just to be sure of what the problem is. Not trying to scare you, but what if your heart flutters are being caused by excessive sodium instead (which is much more typical than the opposite), and you're still trying to increase your daily consumption? :/
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member

Especially with anything heart related, I would see a doctor instead of trusting things people say on the internet. Your problem might or might not be sodium related, and I wouldn't want to take a chance on guessing wrong.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    When I had hyponatremia, low sodium, my symptom was nighttime leg cramps. My self-determined treatment was to consume a small handful of pink salt each night. That worked to restore my electrolytes and eliminate the night cramps.

Heart flutters are a completely different phenomenon and you ought to see a real doctor.
  • dawnymo1
    Went to the dr today- pressure and EKG all good. He did say I am drinking too much water 64 - 80 ounces a day and between that and watching calories my electrolytes are off. Gatorade 0 is helping and I have reduced the water
    thanks for all the advice.
    Also adding in magnesium powder