It’s hard

how did you do it? what motivated you? i find myself always wanting the stuff i can’t have, or over eating

Replies

• MichelleSilverleaf
    MichelleSilverleaf Posts: 2,028 Member
    That's why they say weight loss is simple, but not easy. Let me ask you this, why can't you have certain things? Is it possible you're being too restrictive? Are you putting foods into 'good' and 'bad'? Food is just food, the more valuable thing to learn is how to make the higher calorie stuff work. Maybe you decide that one day a week you'll eat at maintenance in order to have a treat, or you'll bank calories. Or you eat lighter during the day so the higher calorie thing fits. Maybe you find a lower calorie alternative that satisfies the want.
  • nocoffee2019
    nocoffee2019 Posts: 2 Member
    thank you both! i just find myself unmotivated to do anything. even though i really really want to lose weight
  • pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    Just wanting it doesn't make it happen. You have to actually DO it. One day at a time, consistently, over a period of many days that will turn into weeks, months, and even years.

I don't expect to be motivated every day. I'm NOT motivated every day. I'm just doing what I need to do to be as healthy and happy as I can. As long as the good outnumbers the bad, and the unders outnumber the overs, I figure I'm all right.
  • kbmnurse1
    kbmnurse1 Posts: 316 Member
    If it was easy everyone would do it.
  • brenn24179
    brenn24179 Posts: 2,144 Member
    edited February 2019
    I wanted to wear my clothes! I also had a doctor appointment coming up. Yes it feels good to get back into those clothes I couldn't wear. You must be a little motivated, you are on here. It is hard being fat also.
  • 88olds
    88olds Posts: 4,454 Member
    thank you both! i just find myself unmotivated to do anything. even though i really really want to lose weight

Well, there’s working the weight loss process and then there’s wishing we weighed less. Only one will result in weight loss. Weight loss is a set of things to do. Only takes a couple of minutes to get started. That’s all the motivation you need.

And you really don’t have to make big sacrifices or radical changes to lose weight. Calculate a calorie deficit to lose.5 lbs per week and find some reasonable limits you can live with. Time will do the rest. Time can be an ally.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/818701/the-myth-of-motivation-and-what-you-need-instead/p1
  • Panini911
    Panini911 Posts: 2,325 Member
    edited February 2019
    I think selecting a diet that isn't over restrictive and then trying to white knuckle it is possibly a good starting point. No foods are really "off limits" they just need to be eaten in moderation within our calorie goal. the only exception is some of us have trigger foods that we can't stop eating but this is rarely an entire "category" or "macro" but specific foods.

One can consider a smaller deficit (ex: 1lb/week vs 2) and fitting in some foods you enjoy so your still feel content with food in the day.

also no requirement to do any exercise you truly hate. exercise is beneficial but not a requirement to lose weight. but look at activities you ENJOY even if it means things like walking (which is my main exercise right now).
  • smolmaus
    smolmaus Posts: 442 Member

I really really want to be able to buy my first house. But a vague "I want" doesn't do anything for me. Motivation doesn't do anything for me. I need a plan, and information and good habits to be able to get what I want and it's the same here.

You have information; access to all the stickied threads here and a forum for questions, you have nutritional information for all the foods you buy and a database to make it easier. MFP calculates your calorie requirements, there's the basis for your plan. You just need good habits. Log your food every day. Engage with the process and it will absolutely get you what you want. This isn't a hope-and-a-prayer, "maybe this will get me what I want but maybe it won't so why bother" situation, the only failure here is a failure to actually Do The Thing. At that point not losing weight is only about deciding whether the food that will put you over your calorie goal is worth not losing weight and that's an informed decision.
  • mndamon
    mndamon Posts: 547 Member
    edited February 2019
    d3fgsrw5ikb3.gif

Sorry, title of the thread....I had to...

But on a serious note, I agree it's not easy by any stretch. I try and keep pictures of myself at my worst somewhat available so I have something to look at and know I can't go back to. Keeping progress pics seems to keep me motivated.