I can’t believe I did not know this!!!

Options
So I just realized that the nutrition info on meat packages are for raw meat. My beef is 170 for 4 ounces of RAW mean which means I only get to eat 3 ounces of cooked meat for 170 calories. Ugh

Replies

• 39flavours
    39flavours Posts: 1,494 Member
    Options
    Pasta. It took me ages to realise my pasta packet listed cooked weight not raw weight, it's a big difference and I was gutted!
  • ladybug4233
    ladybug4233 Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    So I just realized that the nutrition info on meat packages are for raw meat. My beef is 170 for 4 ounces of RAW mean which means I only get to eat 3 ounces of cooked meat for 170 calories. Ugh

I did not know this. So you should only really have 3 ounces after you cook it? Does this apply to all meat?

• sytchequeen
    sytchequeen Posts: 526 Member
    edited February 2019
    Options
    If it's a roast or something I can't know how much of the raw meat will be in my cooked portion, I do it in the recipe builder. Weigh and log the whole roast raw as I make the recipe, then weigh the whole roast finished making one gram equal one serving. Then weigh my portion.

weigh the raw roast. Cook it. Weigh the cooked roast. Cut what you are eating, weigh it. Work out what percentage of the cooked meat you are having (hopefully something nice and easy like a quarter :D ), then log the percentage of the raw roast. Job done. Just another way of achieving the same thing.
  • ceiswyn
    ceiswyn Posts: 2,256 Member
    Options
    39flavours wrote: »
    Pasta. It took me ages to realise my pasta packet listed cooked weight not raw weight, it's a big difference and I was gutted!

as in a box of raw pasta? because most pasta servings are for uncooked weight since pasta can double/triple in size when cooked

I've seen cooked weight listings for pasta and rice oh too many times. At least once I have had to do some significant arithmetic to get from the nutritional information for their '80g cooked' to what it must be for 100g of uncooked; because by the time I've cooked it, if it's the wrong amount IT'S TOO FLIPPIN' LATE.
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    i've only seen cooked entries in this data - or if its like a ready made type product (i.e. I just have to heat it up) - especially since the variable in cooking rice/pasta can vary so hugely
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    Options
    If it's cooked weight it will state that clearly. If it's not stated (at least in the US), it's as it is when you buy it.
  • AmyC2288
    AmyC2288 Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    Guys- still not clear on meat issue. If I scan a pack of chicken breast, grill, then weigh out 4 oz- can I or can I not go by the 4 oz listing on the label (assuming there are no specified cooking directions like "as prepared")
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options

You can have as much as you want...you just have to account for the calories. The serving suggestion is just so you can do the math. I've never eaten 3 oz of cooked meat in my life...well maybe when I was a little kid.
  • deannalfisher
    Options
    AmyC2288 wrote: »
    Guys- still not clear on meat issue. If I scan a pack of chicken breast, grill, then weigh out 4 oz- can I or can I not go by the 4 oz listing on the label (assuming there are no specified cooking directions like "as prepared")

if it doesn't say as prepared, then its for the raw weight - so you can a) weigh out 4oz raw or roughly 3oz cooked (is 4oz raw)
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    AmyC2288 wrote: »

The calories for 4 oz is raw weight...so long as you weigh it raw before hand, you can grill it and log it like that. The calorie count won't change, it just loses water in the cooking process and thus weight.

If you do not weigh it raw and cook it and weigh out 4 oz and log that, you will be eating more than what is listed because the raw product would have been 5 or 6 oz.

• deannalfisher
    Options
    4oz cooked is going to be about 5oz raw - its going to change your overall calories by less than 50cal

here is a pretty decent table to reference for cooked/raw weights - their calories are based off a 3.5oz serving

https://www.nationalchickencouncil.org/chicken-the-preferred-protein-for-your-health-and-budget/the-nutritional-value-of-chicken/