• Phirrgus
    Phirrgus Posts: 1,894 Member
    Options
    h7463 wrote: »
    Phirrgus wrote: »
    zeejane03 wrote: »
    Bread is awesome! I'm not too fond of the commercial versions that list 'wood pulp..cellulose' in the ingredients, though. I prefer to get my fibers elsewhere. My sourdough starters are hibernating in the fridge, and I bake my own breads, not fillers needed.

I used to make all my bread, usually a whole grains recipe, until I entered it into the recipe builder and realized how calorie dense it was. No more homemade bread for me :p

That's part of the reason for the wood pulp. It makes it less calories on the volume. All cheating for the labels.. :D
    I have never noticed wood pulp on a label. I am going to run if I do lol. Something just wrong about that.

They often call it 'cellulose powder'... I guess wood pulp/sawdust would probably be disturbing to read for customers....haha....You can also find it in grated cheese (the kind in containers, not the fresh in bags), among other things.
    The stuff is cheap, and it allows the manufacturer to brag about lower calories and higher fiber content on the label. They also get away with a higher price tag in the process, because those things read 'healthy', and healthy sells..

I had absolutely no idea - I can understand car dealers playing fast and loose, but food? That is disturbing. Jeez - probably explains why the dinner rolls I had the other night tasted like 2x4s lol. Or I just overcooked them ....
  • Phirrgus
    Options
    Bread is awesome! I'm not too fond of the commercial versions that list 'wood pulp..cellulose' in the ingredients, though. I prefer to get my fibers elsewhere. My sourdough starters are hibernating in the fridge, and I bake my own breads, not fillers needed.

I used to make all my bread, usually a whole grains recipe, until I entered it into the recipe builder and realized how calorie dense it was. No more homemade bread for me :p

That's part of the reason for the wood pulp. It makes it less calories on the volume. All cheating for the labels.. :D
    I have never noticed wood pulp on a label. I am going to run if I do lol. Something just wrong about that.

They often call it 'cellulose powder'... I guess wood pulp/sawdust would probably be disturbing to read for customers....haha....You can also find it in grated cheese (the kind in containers, not the fresh in bags), among other things.

Cellulose is in plants, are you going to avoid fruit and veg as well?
    Well, it seems legit with a quick google..
    https://www.wsj.com/articles/SB10001424052748703834804576300991196803916
    What is often in shredded cheese besides cheese?

Powdered cellulose: minuscule pieces of wood pulp or other plant fibers that coat the cheese and keep it from clumping by blocking out moisture.
  • Phirrgus
    Options
    kimny72 wrote: »
    I mean why is it worse to eat pulp from a tree than to eat something made of wheat, right? <shrug>

My philosophy is that I probably inhale and swim in way worse stuff than I will ever eat in minuscule quantities in some processed food :tongue:

I just cannot argue with that. :)

But if I suddenly get the urge to chew on a tree my lawyer will be calling you :D
  • Phirrgus
    Options

Powdered cellulose: minuscule pieces of wood pulp or other plant fibers that coat the cheese and keep it from clumping by blocking out moisture.

Plant fibers are in virtually everything I eat. It's really not a scary thing, despite the efforts of some in the "Food Babe"-style blogging world to make it seem so.

pinuplove wrote: »

Yes, but a coating of cellulose isn't going to 'bulk up' the product in any significant way. It's there to prevent the shredded cheese from sticking together. I avoid it for things like pizza or homemade mac and cheese because it tends to interfere with the melting. But not out of any fear of 'cellulose' as an ingredient.
    Oh so this is a common thing that's been around a while? I have to admit what I first read was a bit alarming, but it's starting to look like another case of "I didn't know what I didn't know" and wasn't sure of the question either :D

Ok, I may not be contributing to the thread as such, but at least I'm learning something new ...again lol. Thanks for the explains...

Yes, plant fibers have been around forever. What we're seeing is now is that some companies are *adding* plant fibers to foods to achieve some specific results. But we've been eating plant fibers for the entire time we've been a species and the species from which we've descended ate them as well. They're one of the very most traditional things we could be eating, so I wouldn't worry about them in cheese. If we're going to judge foods by how long they've been included in the human diet, cheese is the relative newcomer.

well, this is where I (embarrassingly) admit I don't make logical connections sometimes. It makes perfect sense the way you word it - it was initially seeing (paraphrase) "Wood in food" that got me....

At least I'm consistent. This site is where I began to really learn the basics of what's real and what is just crap marketing and woo - so the learning continues.

Thanks for being patient in all your replies folks :)

And phrasing stuff that way is how the "health" industry gets so many people afraid of their food! "Wood in food" sounds horrible, but when you think about what that really means it starts to make sense, it's just plant fibers from a big ole plant. Like they demonize an ingredient because it's also an ingredient in your yoga mat, and you think oh boy, I wouldn't want to eat my yoga mat! But water is the first ingredient in bleach, so do you demonize water because it's an ingredient in something inedible? It's all about how you word it :smiley:

This is exactly why I frequent these forums and get involved in discussions here. What you just posted should just be common sense, right? Live and learn. :)
  • h7463
    h7463 Posts: 626 Member
    edited February 2019
    Options

Plant fibers are in virtually everything I eat. It's really not a scary thing, despite the efforts of some in the "Food Babe"-style blogging world to make it seem so.

Yes, but a coating of cellulose isn't going to 'bulk up' the product in any significant way. It's there to prevent the shredded cheese from sticking together. I avoid it for things like pizza or homemade mac and cheese because it tends to interfere with the melting. But not out of any fear of 'cellulose' as an ingredient.
    Oh so this is a common thing that's been around a while? I have to admit what I first read was a bit alarming, but it's starting to look like another case of "I didn't know what I didn't know" and wasn't sure of the question either :D

Ok, I may not be contributing to the thread as such, but at least I'm learning something new ...again lol. Thanks for the explains...

Yes, plant fibers have been around forever. What we're seeing is now is that some companies are *adding* plant fibers to foods to achieve some specific results. But we've been eating plant fibers for the entire time we've been a species and the species from which we've descended ate them as well. They're one of the very most traditional things we could be eating, so I wouldn't worry about them in cheese. If we're going to judge foods by how long they've been included in the human diet, cheese is the relative newcomer.

well, this is where I (embarrassingly) admit I don't make logical connections sometimes. It makes perfect sense the way you word it - it was initially seeing (paraphrase) "Wood in food" that got me....

At least I'm consistent. This site is where I began to really learn the basics of what's real and what is just crap marketing and woo - so the learning continues.

And phrasing stuff that way is how the "health" industry gets so many people afraid of their food! "Wood in food" sounds horrible, but when you think about what that really means it starts to make sense, it's just plant fibers from a big ole plant. Like they demonize an ingredient because it's also an ingredient in your yoga mat, and you think oh boy, I wouldn't want to eat my yoga mat! But water is the first ingredient in bleach, so do you demonize water because it's an ingredient in something inedible? It's all about how you word it :smiley:

I thought about the yoga mat scandal, too! The interesting thing is, that this specific additive is prohibited in Europe. I have to look it up again, but it wasn't about cellulose. Not sure how the rest of the world handles it, though. Fact is, that certain countries deem it unhealthy, just the US seems to get away with using it.
  • Phirrgus
    Options

I wouldn't be embarrassed at all. I've also gotten worried about things that I later concluded were no big deal. And that (IMO) is the pernicious way about how food fearmongers operate. They take things and deliberately phrase them in a way that our common sense immediately concludes "Oh, that's bad!" Almost everyone's mind is going to reject the image of eating wood, right?

They use the way our brains work to get their foot in the door, talking about yoga mats in bread and wood in cheese and rocket fuel in Twinkies.

This is a great bit of education for me regarding using a more deliberate approach to understanding what I'm reading. You're explanation makes good sense and it borders on insidious. Hopefully I'll begin reading with a bit less biased eye, or at the least, ask a question if I'm not sure.