Thoughts?

Options

Replies

• JuliaJitterbug
    JuliaJitterbug Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    My thought, being fat shamed my whole life by people close to me, total strangers walking down a street. Never once did I feel the need to loose weight because someone else said I should. That is something that I needed to want to do. This article is telling me I have to worry about someone else getting offended because I want to get healthy. You can bet your A** I will be proud of it and share it when I feel like it. If I post a side by side I am not telling another person they don't matter. I am telling myself I do. My happiness, my success, my journey even if posted publicly, is still mine. I may let you watch it, I may talk to you about it, but what I do still only affects me. If I lost friends while losing weight then they didn't care for me to begin with. "Oh you're happy that's great, but im not, so I want you to be unhappy with yourself too." I will not let people try to lower me because they can't raise themselves.
  • rv1234567
    rv1234567 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I am not sure I like that article, but I do feel like "diet culture" is a problem. We have waaayy better things to talk about, to think about, to post about than just our diet and weight loss attempts. I know a few perfectly healthy ladies that can't go a week without posting about their diet/desires to lose weight or whatever. They talk about it at parties, at the pool with the kids, etc. It's too much, too big a part of our lives.

Does this mean we can't try to improve ourselves? Of course not. But there's a fine line. I want to be healthy and yes, even look better. But I don't want to contribute to this diet culture. So I don't talk about it. I don't obsess about it. I don't post about it on Facebook. I have a specific Instagram account where I post fitness things but not "weight loss" things.

So yeah, this is definitely a tricky subject. You are definitely okay posting before and after pictures here. On Facebook where every one can see them? Maybe not.