Hi. I need help!

Options
I have always been active through out my life. I am thirty years old now. I am a boxer, and play basketball. Last year, I started experience tremendous pain on the ball of my foot. Obviously this had a big impact when moving around on my toes in boxing and taking jumpshots. I was diagnosed with metatarsalgia. I took a six month break and gained 30 pounds. I started working out again this year, everything was good. I started to pick back up in boxing. I was jump roping and notice the pain is coming back. I can feel it, but it is bearable. I can train and run, but I can feel it. I can't give it a hundred percent because I am afraid. Its really frustrating because I can't push myself. My face is getting fatter, and my belly is growing. I let my trainer know, he advised me to take another break. Looks like I have to take break once again. Im really fustrated . . . family and friends are noticing my weight gain . . . Has anyone dealt with this problem? Is there a safer alternative where I can continue to exercise and lose weight? Any tips on healing?

Replies

• snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    I'm no expert but I'd say you need to change up your exercise, maybe for awhile, maybe forever. Try swimming, cycling, climbing, ....you get the idea. Also, buy a digital food scale and start weighing and measuring everything you eat and drink. Losing weight is a calorie deficit. Good luck.
  • ManEatingLizard
    ManEatingLizard Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Sounds to me like you need a new exercise for when you're on breaks from your usual thing. Something that keeps you off that foot. Have you considered taking up biking? Or rowing? Or swimming? Or... just something that lets you move differently and doesn't stress the metatarsal that's under stress? Weight lifting? Pilates? Hot Yoga? Hot Yoga comes with yoga pants.... and those are addictive.

There's a lot of options. It's not ideal, because you're already a boxer and bball player, but just taking a break from exercise isn't working for you, so you might as well try something new.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    I can't help you with the foot pain/exercise question, but if you don't want to gain more weight while you are figuring this out, you need to eat less calories. Log your food, get the diet side squared away, and best of luck figuring out how to deal with the injury!
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,888 Member
    edited February 2019
    Options
    You gain weight by eating more calories than you're burning... regardless of why you're burning less.

The only solution, if you're continuing to gain weight, is to eat less calories.

You can do this by evaluating what and how much you're eating in a clinical fashion and then making choices that help you reduce your caloric intake... or you can flail around with various diets and plans du jour.

Guess which option I think has the potential to work better long term :lol: