Can you all tell me if you exercise makes u hungrier?

Options
Can some one tell me if exercising makes you hungrier throughout your day? How do you handle this. I’m going to be starting a routine when I move. 30 minutes of elliptical 4 times a week. I really do not want to eat my burned calories back. I have 60 to lose

Replies

• MikePTY
    MikePTY Posts: 3,814 Member
    Options
    It depends on the day. Sometimes exercise makes me hungrier. Other days it actually makes me LESS hungry. Yesterday after my workout it was actually a struggle to get close to my calorie goal in because working out got rid of my hunger.

But as far as "eating" your burned calories back, if you are following MFP calculations for your goal, you should be eating your exercise calories back, or at least a portion of them. So if MFP says your goal is 1500 calories, that is before you include exercise. The system is designed for you to eat more when you exercise and still burn your target amount of weight.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Can some one tell me if exercising makes you hungrier throughout your day? How do you handle this. I’m going to be starting a routine when I move. 30 minutes of elliptical 4 times a week. I really do not want to eat my burned calories back. I have 60 to lose

i get rungry... particularly when my long runs get into double figures... its just one of those things!
  • Steff46
    Steff46 Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    I guess I get swimgry............I get so hungry after my swims. Running and biking not so much.
  • Phirrgus
    Phirrgus Posts: 1,894 Member
    Options
    Sometimes - I get fairly decent workouts, but if they aren't on a day that's had a lot of activity, then usually not.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    No. But I don't do much cardio, mostly lifting.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options

You're supposed to. That's how this site works.
  • Silent_Soliloquy
    Silent_Soliloquy Posts: 237 Member
    edited February 2019
    Options
    For me its usually the next day im famished.

I ran a ten K last night ... not killer pace or anything, but no walking either ... and i am predictably starving this morning.

For steady-state cardio stuff like elliptical, its a very predictable calorie burn... i recommend you DO allow yourself to eat the calories back. A lot of people eat half back.

A well-fueled body works out better, has more energy, elevated mood. It took me 6 months to realize this. Experiment with it some.

60 lbs to lose is basically a year of caloric restriction. But don't get so caught up in restricting calories that your workouts suffer. It is Better in the long run to lose more slowly but get in fantastic conditioning.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    you're starving because you are.
    you are supposed to eat at least a portion of the exercise calories back. otherwise you are undereating.

some calorie burns are over estimated so you can try eating 50-75% of your exercise calories back
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options

if you're not eating your exercise calories back then it is that which is making you hungry, not the exercise. you're not fuelling your workouts.
  • Heidijens123
    Heidijens123 Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    I get hungrier then normal after I do strength training.
  • Duck_Puddle
    Duck_Puddle Posts: 3,224 Member
    Options
    I become ravenous after runs of 10/12 miles or longer. Not so much after other workouts or shorter runs.

Some people get hungry after lifting, some don’t. Some get hungry after intense workouts, some after long workouts, some never. It’s all individual.

And eat your earned calories. That’s how it works. That’s why mfp says “calories remaining”. You’re far less likely to be hungry if you’re eating enough.
  • FL_Hiker
    FL_Hiker Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    Nope exercise doesn’t make me hungry it actually curbs my appetite. The longer the run the longer I’ll go without eating and have to force myself. After doing a marathon I had to practically force feed myself. Everyone is different. Eat your workout calories if you’re hungry, you earned them!
  • garystrickland357
    garystrickland357 Posts: 598 Member
    Options
    Exercise suppresses my appetite. You'd think that's good, right? Not always. I've made the mistake you are making by not eating back the calories. I mean, why eat if you're not hungry? When I do that I'm hungry the next day and it's hard to control the impulse to snack and eat *kitten* food. I have slowly learned that I need to eat back my exercise calories and then I can control my appetite overall.
  • jseams1234
    jseams1234 Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    Like others have mentioned - it destroys my appetite. I've taken to eating my dinner at around 8pm or later as it takes me a while after a gym session and lifting to get my appetite back. My wife however, is the exact opposite. She wants to eat as soon as we get home. Be careful about not eating your calories back from exercise - this app expects it and if you don't you might end up in too steep a deficit. I personally don't but I don't use MFP properly. I just use it to track calories and use other calculation to figure out either my surplus or my deficit depending on cycle.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    edited February 2019
    Options
    moderate amounts of exercise don't make me any hungrier than usual. Training for cycling events for which I'm spending hours in the saddle do, but it's not usually the same day. 30 to 60 minutes of moderate exercise doesn't do anything hunger wise.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    FL_Hiker wrote: »
    Nope exercise doesn’t make me hungry it actually curbs my appetite. The longer the run the longer I’ll go without eating and have to force myself. After doing a marathon I had to practically force feed myself. Everyone is different. Eat your workout calories if you’re hungry, you earned them!

Back when I was doing a lot of cycling endurance events and training, I'd never really be particularly hungry on the training day, but I knew I needed recovery. I started making these 1,000 calorie smoothies that went down a lot easier than trying to eat a bunch of food.
  • Motorsheen
    Motorsheen Posts: 20,492 Member
    Options
    hungry ?

after cardio, nope.

after weights, yes.....big time.
  • FitCurves1818
    FitCurves1818 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Whenever I up my cardio I get hungrier. I average about 150 to 175 min per week. Anything over that and my stomach audibly growls.
  • mengqiz86
    mengqiz86 Posts: 176 Member
    edited February 2019
    Options
    Most exercises don’t affect my appetite. Running long distance actually suppresses my hunger. But some HIIT such as while running speed intervals could make me crave more food. Some weight sessions make me hungry too particularly leg days. I stay away from swimming because it makes me want to eat everything in sight for the little I burn in the pool 😂
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,178 Member
    Options
    Strength training seems to make me a little hungrier. For my routine rowing and spinning, I've figured out eating patterns that give me enough energy for the activity, and don't leave me famished after.

If you're just getting started, I don't think you should anticipate any particular reaction in yourself: You can see that people are quite varied. Get started, see how you feel, maybe switch up your eating patterns around your workouts, if you find the workouts are making you hungry (which you may not). Experimenting based on results is good. Speculating is kind of pointless.

As others have said, MFP intends you eat back exercise calories to keep a consistent deficit on exercise days vs. non-exercise days. If you find yourself to be among those who are hungrier the next day, just save the exercise calories until then, and balance weekly instead of daily.