2»

Replies

• jseams1234
    jseams1234 Posts: 1,216 Member
    edited February 2019
    Options
    myisha00 wrote: »
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    Body weight fluctuates naturally up and down, even when you're in a deficit. Scales are not accurate at measuring bodyfat...think about it...how could they be. It's a gimmick.

I agree that they may not be the most accurate but I don't think they are a gimmick. I've been eating in a caloric deficit and weight lifting 3 to 4 four times a week for about two months and my scale has shown an increase in my muscle mass and for the most part loss in body fat since I first started. I feel like if they were just a gimmick then I would be seeing more random readings instead of just one or two fluctuation here and there.

They use an algorithm that is partially based off of BMI. They can show a trend if used properly (sometimes) but these types of scales can be highly inaccurate... up to 8% or more on a reading. It could be telling you that you are 20% body fat and in reality you are closer to 28%. That's not acceptable in my opinion. Besides, the electric impulse it uses typically travels up one leg and down the other, completely ignoring your upper body... or if it's a hand held device, up one arm and down the other - ignoring your core/chest and lower body. Once again, they use a calculation based on a statistical mean. If you fall outside of this that calculation is going to be highly inaccurate. If you want an example of how this works on your bathroom BIA scale - hold a weight in your hands and take a new measurement. Viola! ...you suddenly gained a ton of body fat according to your BIA device and the only thing that changed is your total body weight.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    edited February 2019
    Options
    I'm using that same app, its so unreliable other than just gathering scale weight, actually BIA scales in general are unreliable but that app software went though a complete overhaul and its crap now compared to what it used to be. Hydration effects results immensely no matter the device you use.
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,658 Member
    edited February 2019
    Options
    Yes, you're doing something wrong: you're believing the results of your BMI scale!

Or to rephrase: you believe that your BMI scale is capable of giving you actionable results.
  • myisha00
    myisha00 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Does anyone have any suggestions on what tools to use to get a more accurate body fat and muscle mass readings? I mainly want to make sure I am not losing muscle mass while I am on my calorie deficit. My goal is to get down to 20% body fat. Thanks to everyone who has replied!
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    Others have already covered the inaccuracy of the scale you are using.

I wanted to inquire about your stats and goal - you are 5’9, currently 152 lbs and you have a calorie goal of 1300? What rate of loss did you choose, because it really shouldn’t be more than 0.5 lbs/week assuming you have less than 20 lbs to lose. So you may also need to adjust your expectations.

How are you measuring intake? Are you using a food scale?
  • JBanx256
    JBanx256 Posts: 1,473 Member
    Options
    Depending on my level of hydration etc, my scales will read anywhere from 19 to 26% bodyfat within a 24-hour window...so, definitely don't put too much stock in the bodyfat reading a scale gives you!
  • mackfoo
    mackfoo Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Body fat percentage is NOT body fat.

If you had a certain amount (mass) of fat, and you lost water, your body fat PERCENTAGE would go up, though you may have even lost actual fat.

That reading says that your water percentage went down. That just means that your other numbers will go up, 'cause you know, it all has to add up to 100.
  • sugaraddict4321
    sugaraddict4321 Posts: 15,720 MFP Moderator
    Options
    I agree with @WinoGelato that your deficit might be too steep. Are you doing all that exercise in addition to restricting calories or are you at least eating back some of the exercise calories? You want to lose weight and recomp in a healthy way, so please consider eating back about half of the exercise calories to make sure you're getting adequate nutrition.

Also, try not to worry too much about what the scale says, since it can fluctuate a lot. How do you feel? How do your clothes fit? Are you seeing change in the mirror? That's sometimes a better measure of progress than what a scale tells you. :)