Cardio that isn't ... cardio?

Options
I have sustained a ton of injuries since turning 50 and realize - with the gentle prodding of 4 different doctors - that I will not be able to continue exercising 6 days a week any longer. I have ripped ligaments in each ankle, and now on the bottom of my foot. The pain was excruciating. (I spent 8 weeks in a rocker boot and I'm healed enough to resume some semblance of normal life, however.)

Until now, I did HIIT interval classes Sunday, Tuesday, Thursdays, and spin class Monday, Wednesdays and Fridays. I also did the elliptical. All of that his history now as my doctor advised me to take an additional rest day each week, plus dial down my classes at least one more day a week.

I am thinking to do straight-up weight classes twice a week, pilates (for a strong core) twice a week, and Battle ropes and rowing machine for cardio. Maybe Body art for cardio too, but I'm not sure it's gentle enough.

Is there any other cardio - that I haven't thought of - that wouldn't mean I'd have to jump, run, or otherwise stress my feet? At some point I hope to go back to spin class. I HOPE !!!

Replies

• Phirrgus
    Phirrgus Posts: 1,894 Member
    Options
    What about something like a hand pedal machine? I've never used one, but an old gym I went to years ago had one or two and they seemed to get the folks hearts pumping...
    6jxuzc84f5yk.jpg
  • debrakgoogins
    debrakgoogins Posts: 2,034 Member
    Options
    I second water exercise. Another thought, not necessarily cardio; but, a way to exercise without impact to your feet at all would be aerial yoga.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options
    Swim, row or paddle, ski, ride a bike, hike.
  • MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    Options
    Bike riding and hiking are definitely out. I can't stress my feet (left foot) that much.

Swimming, OK. Rower, sure.

The hand bike? Yes, please !!!!

Thanks all.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options
    Cycling won't stress your feet of you ride at a high cadence (because that means low force) and stiff soled shoes (which spread that small force evenly across the entire foot), for what it's worth. Don't do it if you're not comfortable with the idea, but if cycling is something you've ever loved you can probably do it without pain.
  • mengqiz86
    mengqiz86 Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    If you can use the tower without a problem, you should be fine on a bike and elliptical too? How about boxing?
  • aokoye
    aokoye Posts: 3,495 Member
    Options
    In addition to what everyone else has mentioned, I would definitely work with a physical therapist to rehab your various injuries if you haven't started doing so already. They should also be able to give you some good ideas for various cardio exercises and how not to further injure yourself..
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,187 Member
    Options
    I have my doubts about rowing. Speaking as a rower, there's a lot of foot/ankle flexing involved, and if you go hard it takes leg strength and pressure: It's very much a leg-power exercise! I would think it might be worse than spin/cycling, even.

Can you get a physical therapy referral to someone who can help you with tailored exercise suggestions?
  • aokoye
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    I have my doubts about rowing. Speaking as a rower, there's a lot of foot/ankle flexing involved, and if you go hard it takes leg strength and pressure: It's very much a leg-power exercise! I would think it might be worse than spin/cycling, even.

Can you get a physical therapy referral to someone who can help you with tailored exercise suggestions?

I don't know if it's worse but I suspect it isn't any better. I can predict two things. If the OP doesn't have clipless pedals, they would move their foot around in such a way that would favor some odd part of their lower body (odd in that it's not typically used for cycling in the way that the OP would be using it) and potentially cause injury if they did it long enough. In the case of using a rowing machine, the OP's form would likely seriously suffer because they would be favoring various muscles which, like the bike issue, would likely cause injury.

I suspect the bike thing would be a bit easier to work around with the foot ligament tear, but I can't imagine you'd be able to do so without using rather stiff shoes (which isn't a bad thing in general). Either way, I wouldn't want to do so without the initial aid of a physical therapist.

Circling back round around, I think the primary way cycling would be better is if you are able to do so without flexing your foot (which would likely possible with a rigid shoe and clipless pedals). Otherwise, neither seem like a great option.
  • Keto_Vampire
    Keto_Vampire Posts: 1,670 Member
    Options
    boxing seems like another option; generally considered a less boring form of cardio
  • Cahgetsfit
    Cahgetsfit Posts: 1,912 Member
    Options
    you gotta be on your toes a lot in boxing. unless you're thinking 'boxercise' where you just stand there and do 50 straight punches or whatever.

pilates, yoga, weight training? Swimming definitely.
  • aokoye
    Options
    Everyone keeps mentioning swimming, but I'm a bit less convinced given the ankle issues the OP has. There's a lot of ankle movement that comes with swimming. If the OP were to use a pull buoy then that would take care of the issue (I had an acquaintance who would swim 30-45 min 5 days a week and only use his arms), but otherwise it seems a bit unrealistic.

Also having having gotten home from an evening erg session, the rowing machine is probably out given the left foot ligament issues.
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    I'd go with swimming also. You can reduce your ankle movement, I watch a lot of people swim and some hardly move their legs. What does your doctor suggest?
  • mcemino2
    mcemino2 Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    Roller skating? Much easier on the joints than running or walking. May be hard on your feet though, doesn't bother mine, but I have been skating for years.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,884 Member
    Options
    Bike riding and hiking are definitely out. I can't stress my feet (left foot) that much.

Swimming, OK. Rower, sure.

The hand bike? Yes, please !!!!

Thanks all.

Why do you imagine that cycling would stress your feet?

Granted, I do distribute my body weight between butt and feet when I ride, but when I've got the right shoes, there's not much stress on my feet.

You could consider a recumbent, perhaps, if you try an upright bicycle and it just doesn't work.

Rowing stresses my feet more than cycling.
  • FL_Hiker
    FL_Hiker Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    Swim 😊
  • Sunshine_And_Sand
    Sunshine_And_Sand Posts: 1,320 Member
    Options
    Check with a doctor or physical therapist first of course, but what about a bungee aerobics class? You are jumping but the bungee takes away a lot of the impact.
  • hamelle2
    hamelle2 Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    Try a Gazelle. I know alot of people will scoff at this machine but you can get a great cardio workout without any impact. I've had 2 hips and a knee replacement and I credit this gazelle for much of my recovery.
    You can grab one on craigslist cheaply to give it a try.
  • emmamcgarity
    emmamcgarity Posts: 1,594 Member
    Options
    Swimming or aqua fitness classes. You might even find some free classes at your community center so you could try it out and see how it goes. Our community center also has senior fitness classes. I know that many who attend these classes in my area are not seniors but have physical constraints that they feel are more comfortably addressed in these classes.

I’d definitely talk to the physical therapist first and whatever you choose start slow. Pay attention to any warning signs your body might be giving you.