Swapping recipe ingredients for lower calorie/healthier options?

AwesomeOpossum74
AwesomeOpossum74 Posts: 106 Member
I've gotten into making breads, wheat/white, banana, apple, etc. I'm also about to start dabbling in cookies.

A single slice of apple bread can be 250cal.

I'm curious about replacing certain high-calorie ingredients with ones more in line with weight management, both for me and my family. What are some good replacements for sugar and flour; preferably swapped 1:1?

Replies

• Duck_Puddle
    Duck_Puddle Posts: 3,224 Member
    Agreed that it’s the fats that do in the calorie count quickly.

Be cautious with baking with “healthier” flours. Low carb/Paleo people will use almond and coconut “flours” (others might encourage chickpea “flour”). Those have higher protein, some fiber, a lot more fat and fewer carbs than wheat flour (but pretty much the same number of calories). Some will therefore designate them as “healthier”. Typical flour has gluten. Gluten is what gives your baked goods the texture/substance you like. It’s what makes bread chewy. You can find all kinds of recipes using alternative “flours” (which are just ground up ______), but the texture of your baked goods will suffer workout the gluten. Edible? Sure. But for no real health or calorie benefit? Not woth it.
  • sonilac
    sonilac Posts: 55 Member
    Lately when i make cookies, i add more walnuts and almonds as well as high cocoa % chocolate chips, that way i lower the amount of flour i have to use (usually lowers flour by half). Calories will only slightly go down, but carbs go down by a lot. They're not carb free cookies, but have less than before.
  • mrsyarnlady8831
    mrsyarnlady8831 Posts: 17 Member
    I have a collection of Lighty & Tasty annual cookbooks. What I enjoy is taking a recipe and finding a way to shave the calories and fats without sacrificing flavor 👍🏻. This way I can still enjoy the things I love like lasagna and chicken fettuccine.
  • stutba
    stutba Posts: 152 Member
    swap unsweetened apple sauce or purred pumpkin for cooking oil. Equal amounts are perfect for bars and cakes.
    FYI The pumpkin is fine for something with chocolate flavor. I don't like applesauce with chocolate flavor.
  • debrakgoogins
    debrakgoogins Posts: 2,034 Member
    Plain Greek yogurt in place of the oil in some baked goods works well. I especially like to do this with corn bread.
  • lilithsrose
    lilithsrose Posts: 752 Member
    You can make really moist cupcakes by mixing a box of Devils Food Cake mix with a single can of Pumpkin Puree and then baking them.

I use splenda to bake with. The only time Splenda doesn't work for me is when making Pineapple Upside Down Cake. It just doesn't carmelize like real sugar.
  • aokoye
    aokoye Posts: 3,495 Member
    The issue with pumpkin is that it can easily make something very pumpkiny unless there's another flavor that is masking it. Chocolate makes total sense. Using it in say, coffee cake, would not end well unless you wanted pumpkin coffee cake (which I could see being very tasty).
  • Foodieforlife_5683
    Foodieforlife_5683 Posts: 5 Member

You can do the same by mixing it with a can of coke or pepsi for 0 extra calories. You can do this with any of the box cake mixes.[/quote]

Actually I believe using fruit or coconut sugar or something like that would ultimately be better in the long run. 0 calorie drinks only have 0 calories because they use fake sugars to replace real ones. When you digest it, your body releases a bunch of leptin thinking that it’s about to digest real sugar. When it doesn’t find any real sugar to digest, everything you just consumed is stored as fat. Basically because your body has no idea what it is. 🤷🏼‍♀️ That’s my recent research anyway.
  • lin_be
    lin_be Posts: 393 Member
    edited March 2019
    zonkos101 wrote: »
    You can do the same by mixing it with a can of coke or pepsi for 0 extra calories. You can do this with any of the box cake mixes.

Actually I believe using fruit or coconut sugar or something like that would ultimately be better in the long run. 0 calorie drinks only have 0 calories because they use fake sugars to replace real ones. When you digest it, your body releases a bunch of leptin thinking that it’s about to digest real sugar. When it doesn’t find any real sugar to digest, everything you just consumed is stored as fat. Basically because your body has no idea what it is. 🤷🏼‍♀️ That’s my recent research anyway.

Please share this research.
  • Gdeb7
    Gdeb7 Posts: 6 Member
    I would try to do more cooked Berries topped with a little Organic low fat Granola. I only add a teaspoon of sugar per cup of berries if needed and sprinkle of cinnamon.
  • Gdeb7
    Gdeb7 Posts: 6 Member
    https://fitfoodiefinds.com/single-serve-microwave-chocolate-cake-muffin/

I found this. Single servings keep you from getting into too much trouble.