9lb gain in one day!!!!!!!!

Options
Surely this can't be right!
Since Sunday morning when I weighed in, and had lost 1.2lb, until last night I have gained 9lb!
I went over a bit at the weekend like I normally do and to try and make up for it I drank a lot more water than usual but still..... 9lb!!!!! :sad:
That's an awful lot of water retention don't you think?
This morning it's come down from 9lb to only 5lb so I know most of it is water, I'm drinking a lot today to try and get back to my Sunday weight but can't help feeling a little bit disappointed.
Has this happened to anyone else?

Replies

• Bearface115
    Bearface115 Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    Yeah, but dont worry too much alot of it is sodium retention and water weight. Plus weighing yourself daily will drive you crazy, i weight in monthly, but typically weekly is the way to go. did you weigh in at night? NEVER Do that, you will get discouraged easily....
  • marianne_s
    marianne_s Posts: 986 Member
    Options
    It's sodium.... and yeah it is a lot..... but there is no way you could've put on 9lbs of genuine weight.

So, don't sweat it (I know that's easier said than done...) - it will come off eventually... it will probably take a couple of days.
  • twheelhouse
    twheelhouse Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I agree with Bearface, never weigh any time other than first thing in the morning (before breakfast, after wee!) and do not weigh yourself daily. Weighing daily will not only discourage you and stress you out, but is actually really inaccurate. Our bodies take a good few days to process what we've eaten.

Keep going, and ignore the rogue result, just stick with it this week and I'm sure it will work itself out :)
  • kendrafallon
    kendrafallon Posts: 1,030 Member
    Options
    I'm guilty of weighing myself anytime I happen to be passing the scales, so I'm well aware of the variation in my weight. And yes I've had that OMG moment where I've gained a stupid amount overnight/in one day.

@purplepollypops am sooo glad it's not just me and there's a 'rational' explaination for it. x
  • adross3
    adross3 Posts: 606 Member
    Options
    Don't get diss'd. It's the journey. Trust me, everybody else here will say you will be addicted to loosing weight soon. Make good choices every time and you will see results. You are worth the strenght of body you are going to get.
  • Umeboshi
    Umeboshi Posts: 1,637 Member
    Options
    Don't worry. I have gained that much in a day too due to water and food thats still in my body. You just have to realize the scale is just a scale, and what matters MOST is you're getting healthier!! :)
  • Gail3260
    Gail3260 Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    I agree with everyone who says always weigh yourself in the morning. Be careful about moving the scales around, mine are good digital ones but can give readings varying by a couple of pounds depending on where I put them.

Work out what's best for you in terms of how often. Daily works for me and I accept that it fluctuates for various reasons. I don't get demoralised if it goes up for a couple of days (it did this morning) as long as the trend is down over a period of time.
  • purplepollypops
    purplepollypops Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    I have always weighed myself daily and usually only 1-3lb difference each day but NEVER been as much as 9!!!
  • justleeanne
    justleeanne Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    Aww I gained 2lbs from going to bed to waking up one morning and I was like whaaat!!!! It happens and again I'm one of those who jumps on the scales whenever I see it, drink lots of water today and hopefully it'll come right back down!! :) Big hugs. I know its hard sometimes you just have those days when it affects you!
  • adross3
    adross3 Posts: 606 Member
    Options
    I just checked out your food diary. I will make some suggestions.

Check this out. I am not affiliated:

http://www.juicing-for-health.com/healing-foods.html

I don't juice right now, but it woke me up to the importance of vegatbles.

Suggestion:
    1. cut out your iceberg and romain. Nothing in them. Go to spinach and baby spinach.
    2. Get rid of the puddings and treats. Eat healthy low cal snacks between meals. No bread types.
    3. Boxed food has preservative and tons of salt. If not salt MSG.

Make mature choices about every meal. Eventually it becomes just as natural as the old way you use to eat. Take your time and enjoy the process of cooking. Your reward will be........
  • iwillsoonbeslim
    Options
    One day last week I gained ten pounds....8 of them were gone by morning. Go figure :oS
  • jam3114
    jam3114 Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    Yep - but the main thing is to not let that affect you for the rest of the week
    Sunday I was quiet 'bold' but I stayed off the scale and will do until Friday because I need to give my body time to get rid of the silly lbs it thinks I've gained
    In the past I'd get up on the scale & throw in the towel because of what the scale said - you'd have had to consume 31,500 calories to gain 9lb
    Put it behind you & try to be extra good this week :wink:
  • kapeluza
    kapeluza Posts: 3,434 Member
    Options
    Have you done #2? You know our bodies can store up to 12lbs of poop.... yeah I know disgusting but it's true.
  • Minoesh
    Minoesh Posts: 105 Member
    Options

Suggestion:
    1. cut out your iceberg and romain. Nothing in them. Go to spinach and baby spinach.

Thank you for this, it's very helpful - I eat really healthy 90% of the time but hadn't considered that Iceberg & Romain don't have much nitritional value, this is something I will adjust in my diet too! :smile:
  • leanne2376
    leanne2376 Posts: 217
    Options
    have u changed the batteries to your scales recently?? It happened to me - it gave me 3 different readings